Sign in to follow this  
Ghost

Reducing Weight of 318is

88-91 e30 318is weighs 2525lb (can someone convert please)

Just how much weight can be removed from this car?

Eletrics, AC, soundproofing etc...

And what engine mods would you suggest (plus estimated price and HP): the goal is a quick road car without the luxuries.

Or a link

Any detailed info would be much appreciated.

Cheers

right - conversion is about 1145kg

as for removal of stuff the AC will loose you a few kgs plus the AC motor itself is belted off your engine..precious HP down the drain if running.

sound proofing removed will drop you a few more kgs but can be hell on your hearing ..especially if on loose gravel or hot shicky roads..

(i had a sentra GT race car woith no sound deadening and it was nasty on the ears..all those stones on the floor pan really get anoying..but then i had no carpet either)

engine mods..the easy ones are exaust and air intake

exaust can cost anywhere round the $700+/- mark (more if extractors are done too...theyre always good)

air intake get a pod filter and seperate it from your engine

compartment as best you can either with a cold air box or run a ducting down the front to get Max cold air flow past the intake.

these are the easy mods with not alot massive

HP gain but you will notice the dirrerence in pick up etc (more perky)

for HP for money youy cant beat supercharging/turbos but thats all $$$

Guest Andrew

I'm not sure about the M42, but my M20 turbo project is setting me back around the $3500 - $4000 mark.

I wouldn't bother with intake, the stock one is good. Nor the exhaust if yours came without cat converter.

You could convert the AFM with a MAF system which is way less restrictive, that will free up a lot of horsepower.

I can't remember off the top of my head but there was something about the 88 - 91 e30s that made them heavier. Someone will know.

The rear trunk tar weighs about 80lbs. Rip it out

ussually easyier said than done.. that sh*t is TEH MISSION to get out..

oh another thing to do is to STOP EATING BURGER KING LARD ASS!!

jk

serioulsy though power steering also zaps hp from your engine so converting to a manual rack is always an option, um removal of your seats is quite noticable, then you gotta get in to engine improvements

cams - regrinds 200 - new cams $$$, adj gears - 100+, port and polish head - 600+, blah blah

(ps ..WOOHOO i nearly have a turbo now :D badass.)

Guest Spargo

The E30 318is comes with a factory adjustable cam sproket. I beleive the best thing to do is give it +6 deg on the intake side.

QUOTE (CiLK WuRM @ Oct 14 2003, 09:41 AM)

Sorry bro, you'll have to fill me in- i'm not sure what your talking about :huh:

You could convert the AFM with a MAF system which is way less restrictive, that will free up a lot of horsepower

Any idea of cost?

Not to keen on FI- high reving all motor is what i'd be looking at.

Thanks guys, keep it coming, weight and HP ideas...

Guest Andrew

QUOTE (CiLK WuRM @ Oct 14 2003, 09:41 AM)

Sorry bro, you'll have to fill me in- i'm not sure what your talking about :huh:

Any idea of cost?

Not to keen on FI- high reving all motor is what i'd be looking at.

Thanks guys, keep it coming, weight and HP ideas...

Well the boot sound proofing the is stuff under your carpet. It will be painted the same color as your car. Have a go at it with a chisel.. you'll see what Cilk Wurm means.

As for the MAF conversion. I'm not sure of cost. You could always go aftermarket ECU like Link (1100) and that would get rid of your AFM.

you can also mess with the gearing, so that can give you better power down low.. unless you NEED to drive over 200, then ignore it!

Guest Andrew

you can also mess with the gearing, so that can give you better power down low.. unless you NEED to drive over 200, then ignore it!

well the 318 already has the 4.10 diff, I don't think there is a higher one.

Guest Streetspec_is

i have a 4.45lsd.....there is also a 4.27 which is out of a euro 318i 'vert.....they are quite rare, there is one at my local wreckers tho(that was a few months back)

i havent installed the 4.45 yet, its in the garage, so i cant tell you the improvement...but apparently it makes the 318iS pretty zippy off the line.

i have been talking to a guy, Rubin ( BM Auto ), in Perth, over here, and he is a bloody legend with bmw tuning....he sourced my diff.....i was talking to him about the m42 and he gave me a few ideas....he is currently building up 2 of them, one a balls out race motor and the other is a mildly tuned street motor, which should have about 190-200hp at the fly. apparently he says there is a lot of power to be found in the m42s head, and a his port/polish technique has found it.

The street motor consists of port/polishd head, cams, advanced intake cam(as sam mentioned), extractors/exhaust and some aftermarket ecu...something like a Unichip would be good. this is the sort of build i am considering on mine.

if you wanna temporarily save a bit of weight, take the spare out, and remove the rear seats....