Sign in to follow this  
Mark Babb

E30 FL 320

Not sure if any body has any suggestions, but electric windows/mirrors and heater fan have stopped working today. i believe they are all on a seperate fuse however after checking all fuses all appears ok. seems a little strange all 3 things have stopped at once so just wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction or is it a job for a auto electrician.

any advice really appreciated

Mark

check the fusible link if it has one . main terminals on the battery .

relays ???

Check earth and blue relay behind the glovebox. W`ve sorted this one a few times now.

Regards Ray

HELLBM

Check earth and blue relay behind the glovebox. W`ve sorted this one a few times now.

Regards Ray

HELLBM

Thanks for the above advice ..will check tomorrow and let you know how i get on.

Mark

There is also a fuse mounted on the left hand side of the blower/ventilation/aircon box thingee.You need to take out the glovebox and some of the trim to get at it.

Mark, Those circuits are controllled by 2 "unloader relays" K5 & K7 in the fuse box (outside left, 2nd from bulkhead & front most, which both open circuit during cranking - the earth circuit in both controlled from memory by a black/green wire which switches to earth normally but opens during crank. Not sure off hand what part of start circuit controls this wire though, I will check tomorrow on mine to confirm.

You could confirm this as being the fault by lifting the rubber boot on the car- engine loom plug (beside fuse box) & giving that wire (black/green) an earth - this will earth both those relays & in turn make those circuits you mention operate - assuming that being the problem.

Cheers

Grant

Mark, Those circuits are controllled by 2 "unloader relays" K5 & K7 in the fuse box (outside left, 2nd from bulkhead & front most, which both open circuit during cranking - the earth circuit in both controlled from memory by a black/green wire which switches to earth normally but opens during crank. Not sure off hand what part of start circuit controls this wire though, I will check tomorrow on mine to confirm.

You could confirm this as being the fault by lifting the rubber boot on the car- engine loom plug (beside fuse box) & giving that wire (black/green) an earth - this will earth both those relays & in turn make those circuits you mention operate - assuming that being the problem.

Cheers

Grant

Thanks Grant, spent hours yesterday checking all the wiring loom and the blue relay Ray suggested.... still not working. Seems there is no live feed at the fuses when the ignitionj is on. Will print out your suggestions and have another go today. Getting pretty hot in the car with the windows not working and no fan :)

Keep you posted and thankyou to every one for help

Mark

Cheers

Grant

Found the missing wire...it appears that there is a third wire that connects to the starter which in turns controls those 2 relays you mentioned. Black/green as you say. As it was a single thin wire it was hidden behind the main engine loom next to the block.

Thanks again

Mark