Sign in to follow this  
Andrew

Clarkson: "The 135i coupe is the best car BMW makes"

Posted Image

Some auto makers may get a little frightened when Top Gear’s Jeremy Clarkson gets his hand on their latest creation - well not in this case. Clarkson recently got behind the steering wheel of BMW’s new 135i coupe and had nothing but nice things to say about the little pocket rocket. He even went as far as to say that the ‘135 coupé is the best car BMW makes,’ giving the car a five star rating.

As many of you know, the 135i coupe is powered by BMW’s twin-turbocharged 3.0 liter inline 6-cylinder engine that produces 300 horsepower and a peak torque of 300 lb-ft. That gives the 135i the ability to do 0-62 mph in 5.3 seconds with a top speed of 155mph.

In his article on TimesOnline, Clarkson writes:

“…it’s the engine that impresses most of all. It has one small turbo to spin up the instant you apply the power, and then a bigger one that trundles into life later to keep the power coming . . . in bigger and bigger lumps. This, and there’s no other way of saying it, is a great engine. A masterpiece. It doesn’t zing like the BMW straight-sixes of old but there’s so much muscle you don’t notice.

Then you leave the motorway and the road gets twisty and it’s like settling into your favourite armchair. The steering, the feel, the way you can adjust your line through the bend with the throttle. There is no other car made today in this sector of the market that gets even close. If you love driving, this is up there in a class of one.

Of course, a Mitsubishi Evo or a Subaru Impreza will grip more and slingshot you from bend to bend with more urgency, but if you prefer a more flowing style - less grip and more handling – then you would be better off with the little Beemer.”

Head over to TimesOnline to read his full review.

2008 BMW 1-Series Coupe Gallery:

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

The 130i's are mean as to drive, i'd love to drive a 135i !

Fantastic engine/mechanicals etc but the clothes it wears?

If you look at most new BMW's they seem to all have sharp intersecting lines (headlights etc), slightly distorted kidney grille, the STYLE mode/theme encompasses different themes from front to back.

Awesome car! Amazing Clarkson actually rated a BMW!! He's usually so harsh on them. Whens it come to NZ.........

Fantastic engine/mechanicals etc but the clothes it wears?

If you look at most new BMW's they seem to all have sharp intersecting lines (headlights etc), slightly distorted kidney grille, the STYLE mode/theme encompasses different themes from front to back.

i quite like it...except the headlights,they dont match in at all!

Clarkson isn't harsh on Bimmers, look at his review of any M car - despite being childish he acknowledges that they are the best cars in their field by a mile and always will be.

The movie honey I shrunk the kids comes to mind, but yes not a bad effort and leave the keys on the breakfast bar as you leave thanks haha

Allan

Damned nice car indeed :) Pity the turbos and manifolds are an integrated single piece which will make upgrades hard.

i like it, can't wait to see it in person

Clarkson isn't harsh on Bimmers, look at his review of any M car - despite being childish he acknowledges that they are the best cars in their field by a mile and always will be.

he is a tool.....a funny tool tho,i dont take any notice of what he says about the cars at all.Bleats on for minutes about having to set this and that and this on the M5,where in reality you can just jump in and drive away.

The 130i's are mean as to drive, i'd love to drive a 135i !

yea bro, talk about 335...I was driving one today, and boy that 3.0L loves to rev...its already quick fast on the 3 series, let alone on the 1 series...

yea bro, talk about 335...I was driving one today, and boy that 3.0L loves to rev...its already quick fast on the 3 series, let alone on the 1 series...

And with the handling it apparantly has too, a killer combo. Certainly the new E30 :)

And with the handling it apparantly has too, a killer combo. Certainly the new E30 :)

Well, its not fair for me to put what I felt on the 335 into respectives on the 135, but since they do share the same engine, Ill say that the 135 will have a pretty big fist for a little guy, surely to KO some of those other cars within the same field...

Handling on the 335 is great, on normal it handles lightly, a very brisky drive, push down "Sport" and you get a more solid feel, gears go up to redline and loose a bit traction actually...

If you read any of Clarksons books (and Ive only done a couple) he raves about BMW's, especially the e39 which he rated as the best ever car when it came out and throughout its lifetime.

Yes, he might have a go about all the different settings on the modern M5 but who wouldnt. The reality is that you would press most of them once and then just hit the M button and be done with it.

I felt quite stoked about getting something as simple as the electronically adjustable steering column on the touring, but once its set I wont touch it again so whats the point ?

Its way too ugly to be the new E30.

BMW stopped making their best looking cars after 1991.

Head of design Bangle must go! Maybe he was a merc plant????

Head of design Bangle must go! Maybe he was a merc plant????

I loved the Fiat Coupe. But perhaps he was better in a smaller, 'Acquired taste' operation rather than a big, conservative player like BMW. Either way, his designs have still sold. And I think the Z4 M Coupe is the horniest looking car this side of $150,000.

Yes, he might have a go about all the different settings on the modern M5 but who wouldnt. The reality is that you would press most of them once and then just hit the M button and be done with it.

I

exactly so why make such a big deal of it...

I loved the Fiat Coupe. But perhaps he was better in a smaller, 'Acquired taste' operation rather than a big, conservative player like BMW. Either way, his designs have still sold. And I think the Z4 M Coupe is the horniest looking car this side of $150,000.

Yeah i remember when they released the Fiat coupe, BMW snapped him up immediately.I think when you look back in another 10yrs alot of his FASHION ideas will look stupid,

I agree with you on the Z4,looks good.