Sign in to follow this  
Apex

2.7 ECU??

Ok so this has probably been covered before but im struggling to find info.

I am planning on building a 2.7 for my car using a ETA block, 2.0ltr F/L head and 2.5ltr intake and injectors but im stuck when it comes to the computer.

What’s my best solution for the ECU? I don’t want to go piggy back or stand alone as it will be too costly and I can’t justify that cost over a simple m2025 conversion?

Thanks

Graham

Give Gavin Bellars a ring on (09) 4424451

Cheers

Glenn

x2 - he will be able to use the stock motronic ECU and program that.

x2 - he will be able to use the stock motronic ECU and program that.

Thanks guys that would end up costing me the same as a piggy back though. I can get a M50 ECU installed for that money.

Does anyone know if there is a chip or a factory BMW ECU that can run the 2.7??

Thanks guys that would end up costing me the same as a piggy back though. I can get a M50 ECU installed for that money.

Does anyone know if there is a chip or a factory BMW ECU that can run the 2.7??

Hi Graham, stating the obvious but the 2.7 build will be expensive (ecu + tuning small part) and only modest increase.The Alpina 2.7ltr was only rated at 210ps @ 5800, 289nm @ 4500.

Have a good read on the overseas sites where they talk about it, maybe pickup a good later 2.8ltr?, unless you want to stick to M20.

I fitted piggyback Map-ecu 2, call me on 5231711 if you need info on piggyback.

Rgds

Boris.

Hi Graham, stating the obvious but the 2.7 build will be expensive (ecu + tuning small part) and only modest increase.The Alpina 2.7ltr was only rated at 210ps @ 5800, 289nm @ 4500.

Have a good read on the overseas sites where they talk about it, maybe pickup a good later 2.8ltr?, unless you want to stick to M20.

I fitted piggyback Map-ecu 2, call me on 5231711 if you need info on piggyback.

Rgds

Boris.

Forgot to tell you the big advantage with piggy back over just chip etc is the removal of the AFM, big difference!

Forgot to tell you the big advantage with piggy back over just chip etc is the removal of the AFM, big difference!

I think the dyno will maybe give that 10hp. Hardly a huge difference.

It will be significantly cheaper to tune motronic than use a piggy back.

I too am not a fan of the 2.7 build - not enough power for all the work (unless you go fairly hardcore on it)

I think the dyno will maybe give that 10hp. Hardly a huge difference.

It will be significantly cheaper to tune motronic than use a piggy back.

I too am not a fan of the 2.7 build - not enough power for all the work (unless you go fairly hardcore on it)

Peak horspower/torque thru the mid range counts for a lot when it costs you nothing (ecu/tune) compared to internal engine mods.

Yes, will be cheaper to tune motronic but you still have barn door flap.

Thats the prob with 2.7 build, you are correct.

Hey, what do i know!! I'm just fiddling around for a hobby.

Thanks once again guys, I was quoted $1,200 for a piggy back installed with a Dyno sheet to back things up. To remap the factory ECU I was quoted $1,125 so not much in it. Either way im not going to spend near 30% of the cars value on a tune.

I am staring to think that this is a expensive conversion for “only†200 odd BHP, to build the 2.7 I essentially need to buy another two engines + pay for labour and new refresh parts + supplements etc..It’s quickly adding up to nearly $5K. I could have a 2.5Vanos in for not much more than that!

Maybe a M20-25 with a few little mods could be better option. What kind of power would a M20-25 put out with say a set of extractors, polished intake plenum and a cold air box? Say 180bhp?

Don’t mean to come across as tight, it’s just I have been down this road before and ultimately ended up nearly 10 grand out of pocket for a minimal and unreliable power gain.

Thanks once again guys, I was quoted $1,200 for a piggy back installed with a Dyno sheet to back things up. To remap the factory ECU I was quoted $1,125 so not much in it. Either way im not going to spend near 30% of the cars value on a tune.

I am staring to think that this is a expensive conversion for “only†200 odd BHP, to build the 2.7 I essentially need to buy another two engines + pay for labour and new refresh parts + supplements etc..It’s quickly adding up to nearly $5K. I could have a 2.5Vanos in for not much more than that!

Maybe a M20-25 with a few little mods could be better option. What kind of power would a M20-25 put out with say a set of extractors, polished intake plenum and a cold air box? Say 180bhp

Just drop in a std M20 2.5ltr like you said, pwr output is anyones guess on an older engine. Dyno is only approx at the wheels so only good to compare before/after figures.

The big mistake many people seem to do is massive internal engine work and leave the std intake plenum, if you are going for HP you need individual throttle bodies. Thats what all M engines do.

My 2 cents.

Toys ( as in cars ) are like boats ( a hole in the water to pour money into )

The fun is the satisfaction of doing it, when you get good results..... and you get it right

Research it more

Maybe a M52B28 or an M30 3.5 litre (manual of course)

Or you could do something that has never been done before in this country....like I did

You cant do these types of things on a shoe string budget though...it never works out

Mine owes me $15,000 without labour

Cheers

Glenn

Thanks.

I will start researching the 2.5 and go from there, maybe like you say go for something completely different down the track.

I would go the M52 route - but again. Budget a fair whack of money. Plenty have done it around the work and a few on this forum.

An M20 2.5 is a nice upgrade over a 2 ltr. The 2.5 responds wells to headers (and ecu upgrades..) larger TB, extrude honed intake. All easy things to do.

I got a chip from Ant of e30zone.net. $160 done.

I have now got all the parts for my 2.7 conv (incl manual conv and 273/273 cam) and it has cost ~$2300

A m20b25 isn't much less.

P.S. if you want to go the (m20) 2.8 route; good luck finding a m52b28 cam (well without selling your first born).

Good stuff, the parts would be the cheap part for me, labour being the killer. A M20b-25 could be found for under a grand easy, and it would only take a day to install... considerably cheaper than building, fitting and tuning a 2.7.

Good stuff, the parts would be the cheap part for me, labour being the killer. A M20b-25 could be found for under a grand easy, and it would only take a day to install... considerably cheaper than building, fitting and tuning a 2.7.

M30 big block 6 in E30, have a look if interested.

http://www.e30.de/335i/00.htm

Don`t forget what we discussed Graham. ECU is included in the price. M30 3 litre ECU from an E34 works really well for the 2.7 conversion.

Although there are other options we have discovered.

Have a M52 2.8 crank avaliable as an option.

Regards Ray

0212HELLBM

ps I have 6 M20 B25 motors in stock.

2 around the 100k mark

Edited by HELLBM

Curiosity only, but what are you letting the 2.8 crank go for?

PM me if need be.

Don`t forget what we discussed Graham. ECU is included in the price. M30 3 litre ECU from an E34 works really well.

Regards Ray

0212HELLBM

2 around the 100k mark

Ray's got the options covered! All you need is the answer!!!! Which option???????

Ok so this has probably been covered before but im struggling to find info.

I am planning on building a 2.7 for my car using a ETA block, 2.0ltr F/L head and 2.5ltr intake and injectors but im stuck when it comes to the computer.

What’s my best solution for the ECU? I don’t want to go piggy back or stand alone as it will be too costly and I can’t justify that cost over a simple m2025 conversion?

Thanks

Graham

You've been completely talked out of your original plan.

You need to figure out; how much you've got spend, and want you to do it in the future. Then research.

M30 big block 6 in E30, have a look if interested.

http://www.e30.de/335i/00.htm

Cheers mate, im not overly keen on the 3.5 as it would IMHO mess with the cars weight balance and essentially make it handle funny, I like the idea of 50/50.

Don`t forget what we discussed Graham. ECU is included in the price. M30 3 litre ECU from an E34 works really well for the 2.7 conversion.

Regards Ray

0212HELLBM

2 around the 100k mark

Hi Ray, I know you told me a M30 ECU will run it but I can’t find any information to support this, it’s not that I doubt you it’s just a case of one bitten twice shy, I have been feed a crock of garks on previous modifying endeavours and been out of car and out of pocket for a couple of months.

How well would it run it? Like factory? I like things perfect and im not keen to play/pay the trial and error game ever again.

Thanks for all your help guys, I’ll see what I can dig up.

PS: TTEETT Mk1. One blown motor, two ECU’s and nearly 10 grand (on top of the huge price that Altezza’s cost 6 years ago) out of pocket! Hence once bitten twice shy.

It ran like sh*t and in the end didn’t have bugger all power over stock. Research FTW

Posted Image

Nice Alteeza, did it have beams motor?

(If you are passing Bavarian stop in and talk to Rob, most helpful chap.)

Come and have a drive of my `89 M Sport with 2.7. Installed by Rob (Bavarian).

We can easily replicate it.

Regards Ray

0212HELLBM