Sign in to follow this  
far4ngn

Head Gasket Problems

Guys

My daughters car pulled up the other day and was overheating, its been in the garage and after pressure testing they have advised that the head gasket has gone.

Its a 1989 318i Auto E30 4 door.

I'm wondering how much would this cost to fix, do I replace the gasket or the engine or what would I get for just getting rid of the car altogether in its current state?

Advice Please

Paul

Depends if the head is cracked or not. My headgasket blew and the head was cracked on my M10. $1500ish in parts for the headgasket and labor and another $800 for a reconditioned head.

Paul, If just the head gasket, shouldn't be more than $500, I'd get it off and checked first.

If it's more damage than that, I'd look for another engine, you should be able to buy and get fitted for around $1000 max, maybe less. Guess it depends on what it's worth, and replacement cost.

Guys

My daughters car pulled up the other day and was overheating, its been in the garage and after pressure testing they have advised that the head gasket has gone.

Its a 1989 318i Auto E30 4 door.

I'm wondering how much would this cost to fix, do I replace the gasket or the engine or what would I get for just getting rid of the car altogether in its current state?

Advice Please

Paul

can you do a headgasket yourself? if so its worth fixing. Otherwise have a ring round and see how much your looking at. Another option is to buy a whole new motor, can work out cheaper than getting the old one fixed.

Depends if the head is cracked or not. My headgasket blew and the head was cracked on my M10. $1500ish in parts for the headgasket and labor and another $800 for a reconditioned head.

ouch!

my headset was around $140 and around $250 to get the head tested, cleaned up, and whatever needed doing replaced (stem seals and valve guide - not bad after 260Ks)

(I spent a fair bit more on MLS gasket and studs but thats to stop it happening again, not needed for stock motors)

you can pick up going M10's for $150 or less.

Edited by Mike

Thanks for the info guys. I'm not mechanically minded..or should I say I've never really tried :)

Luckily the daughter canfall back on one of the other BMW's while I ponder what to do with her car. Trying to consider spending money on a car only worth 2k, or sell it for parts and get something back :)

Currently both garages I've asked for prices have quoted 2k, sounds as if I need to shop around tomorrow.

Thanks for the info guys. I'm not mechanically minded..or should I say I've never really tried :)

Luckily the daughter canfall back on one of the other BMW's while I ponder what to do with her car. Trying to consider spending money on a car only worth 2k, or sell it for parts and get something back :)

Currently both garages I've asked for prices have quoted 2k, sounds as if I need to shop around tomorrow.

also consider even a going motor can be a head gasket ready to blowwww.It may seem uneconomic but what can you byt for that sort of money that will be a known quantity which your car will be when its fixed...

assuming its just the gasket they should be able to easily do it in a day. None of the manifolds have to come off and its a very simple little motor. Is it just cos its got the roundel or is that a typical price for any head gasket?

If you cant do it yourself, its possibly uneconomic to get fixed.

If the car is only worth $2,000, you could end up paying someone that much to fix it

It's an 8 hr job

Most independants charge around $70 per hour = $560 + GST

+

Head gasket set

Head bolts

Machining costs ( thats if the head isnt cracked)

Antifreeze

Spark plugs

Maybe some sundries, like hose clips etc

Price the parts and get a price to get the head done by a motor reconditioner

Price a second hand head as well ( and add the machining cost against the second hand head as well )

Do the maths and then make your choice.......either sell as is on TM or get it fixed

Hope this helps

Cheers

Glenn

I'll start phoning about today... any idea how much I should ask for if I sold it as is?

As-is will depend on the knick of what's left obviously.

You can pick-up facelift E30s for $1200 running... just not that well.

So you should be able to get around that figure if you aren't in a rush to clear the driveway.

I'd do your homework first... keep on getting prices for a replacement engine or a fix.

Also... is a pressure test a bullet-proof test to prove that the gasket is infact gone???

As I'm not mechanical minded I havent got a clue if a pressure test is sufficient?

Same problem with my e21, but the motors are similar.

My head was gone, but I'm getting a new one.

You can take the engine apart with a flat head and a wrench if you need too. Although a socket set would make like a whole lot easier. Breaker bar + socket for the headbolts.

Buy a haynes manual or find one on the net (they can be found pretty easy, I got one for my rarer e21).

It might take a little while longer than professionals doing it, but it's well worth it.

You'll need to use a torque wrench for putting the headbolts back on.

It's not that hard at all, it just requires patience, time and logic.

At the end of the day you'll have new gaskets, belts etc and not much to worry about engine-wise for a long time. Especially if you replace the head (or so I keep on telling myself..)