Sign in to follow this  
bmwsparkle

E30 318iS

What do you guys reckon? Maybe sell the 5 and get one of these. How much do these go for?

Unofficially known as the baby M3... good lightweight car.

Dogleg, Mtech suspension, Mtech front, Recaros, M interior, DOHC, 16 valve etc etc

Sparkle

:wub:B):wub:B):wub:B)

post-2-1087454650.jpg

Edited by bmwsparkle

haha good luck! was thinking the same thing...rare as rocking horse sh*t in nz and go for about 9k or so.....ive never seen an e30 318is in the flesh in nz.....but yeah mint cars....although the true baby m3 would be the italian 320is :D

There is one in Hamilton. The number plate is GT NAN. An old lady with a lead foot drives it (and she really does drive it).

It is awesome to see.

Cheers

There is one in Hamilton. The number plate is GT NAN. An old lady with a lead foot drives it (and she really does drive it).

It is awesome to see.

Cheers

:lol:

Marcel

How readily available are E30 318is' in Europe?

I wonder why they are so rare in NZ. I even think that they are quite common in Aussie.

Cheers

318is` are fairly common in Germany. There is even a web site dedicated to 318is` .(www.318is.de) It`s quite an interesting site with lots of info.

Edited by 37 South

I heard there was something like 5 in NZ. Good luck getting your hands on one. I'd have a better chance finding a LSD for my car. Still, they would be a wicked car if you found one :D

Guest Spargo

There was a thread about 2 weeks ago on it. Search.

I'd asy there say there was 5-10 in akl. I've only ever seen (gone and looked at) 4.

Guest Spargo

even then you'd have more fun making a 325 lighter..

If you don't half cage your car after all the crap you've taken out, i might have to choke a bitch.

Just a couple of statistics to bore you with regarding E30 is`.(qouting from 318is website) 41234 E30is were built between sep.89 and may `91. Of these , 3513 were R H drive,9779 were built to U.S Specs. They cost DM 33600 in 1990.These cars are getting quite rare and good examples are hard to find.

Marcel

How readily available are E30 318is' in Europe?

I wonder why they are so rare in NZ. I even think that they are quite common in Aussie.

Cheers

Well, the e30 318is is also very rare in Europe. Reason i think was the basic new-price, (almost 320i prices)

The numbers of sold cars at the 318is site in Germany looks impresive, but in real life you won't see them that much.

They call it a baby M3 overhere too (thanks to it's nice engine and driving behaviour.(much better than a 320i).

Ofcourse the Italian/Portugese 320is was the real baby M3 with his S14 engine. (Great trackcar for me :rolleyes: )

Marcel

Can't give you numbers but I see quite a few E36 318iS driving around welly. Do they have the same M42 engine as the E30 version?

Can't give you numbers but I see quite a few E36 318iS driving around welly. Do they have the same M42 engine as the E30 version?

E36 318is dont have the same engine as E30is and they not rare at all

E36 318is dont have the same engine as E30is and they not rare at all

which would be exactly why there are so many around wellington and napier and palmy and auckland and everywhere.

the first BMW i ever drove was a 96 E36 318iS - it impressed me enough to make it a definite plan to buy a bmw, but it also made me definitly want somthing with 6 cylinders.

Hey i'm from Aus and well there arent that many around over here... I actually set out to get a 325IS as they are only slightly slower over a quater mile than a M3 but handling and other areas wouldnt be all that close to being the same i guess... But as for the 325IS all i could find was 1 auto and 1 manual and the manual was $24000! So i did a bit of looking and found 4 318IS's but the only place i could find them for sale was in Sydney. I ended up getting one and well it does handle nice, but i still want a TON more power, dont get me wrong, it suprises alot of people with how quick it is for a NA 1.8L, but it wears off like with all cars and as for the handling, that to now needs upgrading to keep things interesting. I've owned it for just over a year now and one thing you'll notice, as with most beemers is the noise of the engine. Oh and the guy i bought it off was fanatical about matinece and stuff so i got a full log book for the life of the car and even the original brochure from BMW that has all the info and stuff on the 3 series E30's

hey dude welcome to the site most people will envy you for owning a e30 318is sounds like a well phat car dude

post some pictures im sure everyone will want to see them

cheers

what is the difference between a 318i and a 318is??engine wise

E36 - not much

E30 - double overhead cam instead of single cam, 16 valve instead of 12?

umm i donno wat else, i think the "is" is a M42 and the normal 318i is a M10

-is that right?

yeh

318iS has a M42 which is 100kW, only runs on premium, claimed 0 - 100km/h in 10 sec. Only available in Alpine White, Brilliant Red, Diamond Swartz, Sterling Silver and Lazur Blue. Mines Diamond Swartz

318i has M10 is 83kW, runs on ULP, claimed 0 - 100km/h in 11.2 sec.

from a bit of racing between mates my iS seems to have a fair bit more than that over a standard 318.

when i get a chance to get to a scanner i'll post the whole broucher up here... its more like a small book but! its 31 pages on the 318i, 318iS and 325i

apart from that i have no pics of my ride, its just all standard, 15 inch mags on the front and stockos on the back... SOON TO CHANGE! being only a 2nd year apprentice funds are a bit tight :)