Sign in to follow this  
international

Change from JAP GPS to NZ?

A friend of mine has just purchased their first BMW, a 2003 530i, Japanese import. They want to change the radio/GPS system so that it can be used in New Zealand. Would this be possible without having to spend $6000 to have it done at a BMW dealer?

Thanks in advance!

has it got tv? much easier,need a euro or us nav computer(eby) and of course the disc.Do a search on Jochens post I think he has done a write up on upgrading his own car a ex jap E39 540

Not too hard but not too cheap either, it depends on whether you want MK3 (CD slow) or MK4 (DVD fast) GPS, you need to search ebay for these GPS units that they are willing ship to NZ and if you have the money you may as well do the radio at the same time. There is a bit of rewiring, Jochen can give you the run down or search for his post on this. CD of NZ maps, you can probably get a copy cheap or pay some exhorbitant price for a genuine one.

Regards Pete

2003 530i must be E39 right?

if it has TV unit already installed the GPS change is reasonably simple.(half a day job)

I have 1999 E46 328i and Jochen converted it for me and I love it!

As far as I know Jochen is in Europe and not coming back to NZ at this stage.

However 'Hotwire' at this forum knows how to convert it as well.(not sure whether he still does the job or not though) you should contact him.

I have my one converted to MK3 unit but the most updated one is MK4 unit.

Main differences are that MK4 uses DVD while MK3 uses CD and MK4 is alot faster and allow bit more customization of the navigation program. In North America and Europe, DVD unit is really good as whole map can be stored in one DVD rather than 3-4 CDs, but here in NZ, our map data is only about 100mb in size so there is no difference between CD and DVD.

The cost of conversion used to be around $900-1000 for MK3 and somewhere between $1400-$2000 for MK4 last year but of course you need to check it with Jochen or Hotwire.

I think these costs are very cheap as the MK unit itself costs almost equal to that if you search E-bay.

I think we are very lucky to have someonelike Jochen and Hotwire in NZ as it would cost, as you mentioned, well over $6000 to have a nav unit from BMW dealers. (that's if they know how to do it.)

A friend of mine has just purchased their first BMW, a 2003 530i, Japanese import. They want to change the radio/GPS system so that it can be used in New Zealand. Would this be possible without having to spend $6000 to have it done at a BMW dealer?

Thanks in advance!

Thanks in advance!

Hi, Yep, can help, as stated - nav unit requires replacement, radio can be reprogrammed to NZ.

PM me for options

Cheers

Grant

Radio can be re-programmed by hand to make it work, no tools required.

TV works, just change settings to PAL-Europa, then it will pick up all NZ TV channels, including UHF.

Cost to make radio & TV work = $0, time required = 5 minutes, tools required = None.

Nav can be made to work by replacing nav computer, best is a Mk4 for that age vehicle.

As Grant and the others mentioned, Mk4 navs sell 2nd hand for around $1,000, plus fitting etc and you normally have a $1,500-ish cost.

This price is low and cheap when compared to the original cost of the nav option, and the exclusivity you get at the end (there are very few E39s in NZ with fully working nav, my estimate = <20 cars).

The awesome functionality makes the effort to change well worthwhile.

You may also have a Telephone in the car, if so, that can be made to work as well, by changing from Jap system to the Bluetooth unit which can connect to your mobile phone. Around $1,000 in parts + some labout.

The e39 is an awesome car, and well worth the money to make the nav system work.

Jochen (in Switzerland)

Hey Guys,

I just completed my retro fit from Jap NAV and Radio to World Radio and MkIV GPS with NZ disc. Well worth the effort. Grant did my conversion and I am extremely pleased with the results.

I also completed the bluetooth retrofit and after a few issues, its finally sorted. The Japanese pre-wiring for the phone makes it a bit tricky but once you figure it out you will also benefit from voice control over the NAV system.

Here are some you tube videos of how it works.

Just so you know, if you buy the Euro bluetooth phone retro kit, you can use non-US verbal commands like petrol station instead of gas station, and scale 100m instead of quarter of a mile etc.

Get hold of Grant if you want the NAV and Radio done, he will sort you out.

Regards

DaCosmo. (Lance)

Hey ya fella, would be keen to check out your bluetooth install if your in AKL ?

I have completed the full nav and steering retrofit upgrade with 16x9 vs NZ maps and also doing the TV conversion (just have to buy the retrofit loom for TV (got TV module) )

hi mate

can you please giv me grants ph contacts.i need my e46 nav converted also.

Hey Guys,

I just completed my retro fit from Jap NAV and Radio to World Radio and MkIV GPS with NZ disc. Well worth the effort. Grant did my conversion and I am extremely pleased with the results.

I also completed the bluetooth retrofit and after a few issues, its finally sorted. The Japanese pre-wiring for the phone makes it a bit tricky but once you figure it out you will also benefit from voice control over the NAV system.

Just so you know, if you buy the Euro bluetooth phone retro kit, you can use non-US verbal commands like petrol station instead of gas station, and scale 100m instead of quarter of a mile etc.

Regards

DaCosmo. (Lance)

Grant is Hotwire on this forum, you can pm him.

Too all e39,x5,e46 owners who have a working Nav install .. PM me please. around maps

Hey Lance

Could you tell me the total cost involved for Nav and Radio?

Many Thanks

Anj

Hey Guys,

Regards

DaCosmo. (Lance)

Hey Lance

Could you tell me the total cost involved for Nav and Radio?

Many Thanks

Anj

Lance hasn't been around on here for quite a while.

Depending on your vehicle - I can help. PM me for options

Lance hasn't been around on here for quite a while.

Depending on your vehicle - I can help. PM me for options

Can you help with conversio of Toyota Estima 2002 factory fitted device (GPS CD/MD/reverse camera device) from

Step 1)Jap to english

Step 2) Actually make GPS convert to NZ maps

cheers

Can you help with conversio of Toyota Estima 2002 factory fitted device (GPS CD/MD/reverse camera device) from

Step 1)Jap to english

Step 2) Actually make GPS convert to NZ maps

cheers

No sorry, only BMW

Yours is Jap domestic market & from memory has no English option as it was never intended for use outside of Japan. Unlike ex Jap Euro cars where they were built in Europe & specced for Jap market so Jap content more simply reversed.

Could probably be done, but as with BMW, would require removal of Jap hardware & retrofitted with world market hardware & NZ mapping - assuming there is applicable NZ mapping available.

Radio can be re-programmed by hand to make it work, no tools required.

TV works, just change settings to PAL-Europa, then it will pick up all NZ TV channels, including UHF.

Cost to make radio & TV work = $0, time required = 5 minutes, tools required = None.

How is this done??? My olds are looking at an X5 with the TV screen. Does this mean that it wont need a band expander?

How is this done??? My olds are looking at an X5 with the TV screen. Does this mean that it wont need a band expander?

Follow this video , X5 will need to have world tuner circa 2001 cars or later