Sign in to follow this  
drifty325i

Fat upgraded swaybars for E30s?

Im after some upgraded front and rear sway bars for my e30, anyone no what options are avalible? Prices etc?

Ill buy second hand if there decent

Lets just say i was doing 130kph around an off camber left hand bend and things got a little interesting lol.

Cheers

Sounds like your new forum nic name will be "Crashed It" soon....lol

Just joking

Try Autolign (09) 5299571

Cheers

Glenn

I bloody hope not lol. Just have to be carefull. Cheers glen!

ST from Turnermotorsport are good, good Customer service

Ireland Engineering do some

H&R do some, try the local forum sponsor

take it easy dude, dont crash the beast!

Hey Riley Jeremy who used to be on this site with the crazy gold e30 bought new ones at autolign for $500 front and rear.

Hey Riley Jeremy who used to be on this site with the crazy gold e30 bought new ones at autolign for $500 front and rear.

Sweet ill check into that tomo. Thats not a bad price.

Ive been priced $189ausy each for 24mm front and 16mm rear Whitelines plus shipping and i think thats pretty good

Would your old Ones be any bigger/better than Standard 320i Jobbies ?

^yes - I've only got the rear bar in, very little understeer. ( your 320i probably wont have a rear)

Riley, what are you trying to achieve exactly?

swaybars can really change the balance of the car. it might be an idea just to weld M3 style mount tabs to your existing struts. will give your front bar better efficiency and should dial out some oversteer- just an idea before you go spend $$$ on a swaybar kit.

^^ he makes a good point

what spring shock setup you running? using sway bars as a band aid wont cure defecincies in the base setup

^yes - I've only got the rear bar in, very little understeer. ( your 320i probably wont have a rear)

Riley, what are you trying to achieve exactly?

swaybars can really change the balance of the car. it might be an idea just to weld M3 style mount tabs to your existing struts. will give your front bar better efficiency and should dial out some oversteer- just an idea before you go spend $$$ on a swaybar kit.

Im really only trying to achieve flatter more consistent handling. Harden things up a little. Its only $450 so not really big bucks

^^ he makes a good point

what spring shock setup you running? using sway bars as a band aid wont cure defecincies in the base setup

Running Koni sport shocks and ebachi springs, it already handles really well dont get me wrong (ask some of the boys from the chch bimmersport meet ;)) Im just after a tighter feel

Running Koni sport shocks and ebachi springs, it already handles really well dont get me wrong (ask some of the boys from the chch bimmersport meet ;)) Im just after a tighter feel

Couldn't out run a 320i auto.

Let us know if you order one, and where from. I'm also interested. Not that I need a stiffer ride lol.

Couldn't out run a 320i auto.

Let us know if you order one, and where from. I'm also interested. Not that I need a stiffer ride lol.

Lol when i saw those cops i was gone!

Year mate will do, we can share shipping to

Oh and my car has urethane bushes throughout so this it just the next step

So what was "interesting" bit- did the tail waggle or the front wander or sledge or what.

I run a pretty "tight" set up on my E36 road car and have been through quite a few progressive changes -

Like the rear used to waggle - cure for this is Urethane rear control arm bushes - that was great then that showed up that the front used to sledge near the limit - solution solid control arm bushes (you should already have these)

There is a truck load you can do to tighten up a stock BMW , but the key is to make sure it is all balanced

P.S. mine runs Koni sport adustables BMW Msport springs in the rear and 40% higher rate springs in the front. Stiff springs in the rear just allowed it to light up in the wet.

No the rear end came out side ways on me on medium throttle at 130kph, I snap corrected it. I feel Its more a camber issue and less grip on the rear, and it was in the damp, e30s a notoriously edgy in damp conditions.

I dont need stiffer rear springs, mine is setup quite well, esp for traction in the dry. I just need the car to stop loading one side to much through the corner, with stiffer swaybars it should help flatten things out and help keep more tire and power down on the road.

Stiffer bars will increase the outside wheel loading not reduce it.

Have you checked the corner weights of the car

How much negative camber are you running on the rear currently and also is the car lowered and do you know where the front / rear roll centres are.

You can try an flatten the car out by stiffening sway bars but this will increase out side wheel loading

Or you can drop the roll centre which will maintain a more even wheel loading at higher lateral accelerations

What rim / tyre sizes are you running front and rear, and in particular tyre type.

No i havint checked the corner weights,i should though it would be interesting.

There is a fair bit of camber on the rear, ive got a set of urethane adj subframe bushs that ill fit soon, that should help.

Running 16x7.5 Schnitzers with 225/45/16s Toyo T1RS All round

Do you think the sway bars will be a waste of time

I would suggest you look at how an E30 M3 is set up apparently the front sway bar pick up is different also the rear trailing arms are supposed to be set at 15 degrees, yours should be at 20 degrees. How they make the change I am not shure , but this would reduce the toe in variation under suspension movement.

From my quick look at an E30 rear end when it squats you lose toe in which means the arse will get loose - same will also happen if you stomp on the brakes and the back goes up.

I'm pretty sure the E30 M3 runs exactly the same rear geometry as the normal e30. but as i said above the front bar pick up is different, more leverage, so smaller bar is used. 325i front bar is actually bigger.

riley- the IE subframe camber and toe kits are a much better solution than the adjustable bushes. as you change the camber the toe will change too, quite tricky to setup right and can slip out of adjustment easily from what i've heard.

Hmmmm Ill take all you comments into consideration guys thankyou so much. Im going to look into the IE camber/toe kit as well :)

Update, got a set of whiteline swaybars. front is non adjustable rear is 3way adjustable, the rear will be set to soft.

Got them for $200 total and they have only been used in 5 races ;) so they are literally like new. couldnt say no really and saved myself at least $400

How do you find all these parts????????

What are you doing with your old front sway bar?

Will be interesting to see how much of a difference you feel.

How do you find all these parts????????

What are you doing with your old front sway bar?

Will be interesting to see how much of a difference you feel.

Lol i guess im just lucky,and i can piss around on the computer at work so that helps.

The old bar.........not sure just yet, ill prob sell it im guessing.

I will certainly let you guys no how much of a difference it makes,im thinking alot

what sizes? what do they come with in the set? ie new links, bushings, etc? $200 is a steal either way.

what sizes? what do they come with in the set? ie new links, bushings, etc? $200 is a steal either way.

24mm front and 16mm rear Whitelines, rear are adjustable. Both come with full nolthane bushes,new links and bushes for them, instructions as well :)

I no im really stoked with the price, ill post some pics soon

16 mm is not huge really

130k on an off camber sounds pretty fast, esp with 340hp...once your gearing is lengthened it should be a little less tail happy? it is probably more than just a sway bar issue TBH

eibachs are pretty stiff....i prefer the H&R sports for the road..the turbo has eibachs and its twitchy