Sign in to follow this  
drifty325i

Fat upgraded swaybars for E30s?

16 mm is not huge really

you are aware that everything else being equal a 16mm bar is over 3 times stiffer than a 12mm bar (is that what e30's run)?

it might not be that large compared to other brands out there but should still be significantly stiffer.

didn't realise that much, but the MS bar is 14.5mm...most aftermarket sways seem to be around 19mm?? (the bigger ones ST/IE at least)

Riley, if you use eccentric bushes for you rear suspension to adjust your camber, it will change the toe at the same time. I would suggest you use a kit (as Mike suggests) that allows camber and toe to be adjusted independantly.

I discovered this when I was working at getting rid of the major negative camber I had in my vert after fitting lowering springs, so compensated what I was doing to keep the toe right and bring the negative camber to an acceptable amount.

Will

riley- the IE subframe camber and toe kits are a much better solution than the adjustable bushes. as you change the camber the toe will change too, quite tricky to setup right and can slip out of adjustment easily from what i've heard.

I take it IE= Ireland Engineering ??

is it their kits that slip out of adjustment ??

sorry, worded badly- its the adjustable bushings that can slip out. my IE ones have been fine.

sorry, worded badly- its the adjustable bushings that can slip out. my IE ones have been fine.

Thanks, cause I'll probably need them as well on the project car

The sway bar difference between the m3 and normal 325i / m-sport is the strut.

Below is two different photos showing the sway bar link mount points on the strut.

We are running the standard thicker 325i sway bars with e30 m3 struts with mount points for this reason.... best of both worlds I guess. :) Also allows us to run m3 specific suspension mods and 5 lug.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Riley, if you use eccentric bushes for you rear suspension to adjust your camber, it will change the toe at the same time. I would suggest you use a kit (as Mike suggests) that allows camber and toe to be adjusted independantly.

I discovered this when I was working at getting rid of the major negative camber I had in my vert after fitting lowering springs, so compensated what I was doing to keep the toe right and bring the negative camber to an acceptable amount.

Will

Im going to go with a proper camber and toe kit like Mike suggests, i think thats my problem. Any idear on costs for theses kits?

As ive already got the adjustable bushings can i still use them with the camber and toe kit as well?

cheers

Nice pics there Hybrid, cheers for posting that up

Im going to go with a proper camber and toe kit like Mike suggests, i think thats my problem. Any idear on costs for theses kits?

No idea, I did mine myself, think Chris (McLovin') bought one of these kits..?

Will

got to bmw2002.com to find the things. but both the camber and toe kit. They should be different. The camber sits inboard and has more adjustment.

Riley, I wouldn't use the eccentric bushes as well. As well as increasing the chance of slipping they probably wont even fit.

Lastly, people shouldn't be so worried about excess camber. Its incorrect toe that really causes excess wear. (excessive camber certainly doesn't help things though.)

Its not that im to worried about the camber, i actually kind of like the look haha, its just i really need all of my rear tires on the ground now with the extra power.

Its not that im to worried about the camber, i actually kind of like the look haha, its just i really need all of my rear tires on the ground now with the extra power.

Add some weight...do a lead mould underneath the rear seat, forward of the axle .

hmmm, time for Mcoupe arms and 5 lug? chuck some filthy wide Type1's on there.

Here what the kit involves:

(Notice the larger washers for the extra camber adjustment, they do not have the same "key" for the washers but still seem to turn ok)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Getting that subframe out is a PITA so I'd do it once and do it right with the camber, toe, and whatever else needs doing.

Edited by Mike