Sign in to follow this  
Damo

E30 335ti

Hi all - been a couple of years (and a couple of non-BMW's) since I posted here!

Right, the E30 M30 3.5 turbo is back on the road.

EDIT: (slightly more recent engine bay pic)

post-168-1296152107.jpg

Edited by Damo

Next, I made a new intake as the old one put the throttle into the side of the body:

post-168-1201908499_thumb.jpg

post-168-1201908509_thumb.jpg

post-168-1201908517_thumb.jpg

post-168-1201908528_thumb.jpg

post-168-1201908537_thumb.jpg

post-168-1201908545_thumb.jpg

For brakes, I now use wilwood superlites up front, still stock in rear but it is all changing shortly to e36 hubs so will put superlites all round.

Springs are 800lb in front, 400lb in rear, ground control camber plates/hats in front.

Converted rear to coilover with modified FC3S RX7 rear KYB adjustable coilovers.

Front uses adjustable bilsteins in factory tubes with coilover sleeves.

post-168-1201908662_thumb.jpg

post-168-1201908671_thumb.jpg

post-168-1201908680_thumb.jpg

post-168-1201908691_thumb.jpg

I'll look forward to the finished pictures.

Dyno'd it yet?

Thats the million dollar question! Not yet. I have developed my own engine management system and this is the test vehicle, so I have quite a bit of fine tuning there before it is worth hopping on the dyno.

Cant wait to do it though.....

Nice pipes.

That intercooler owns.

Looks like 08 is going to be a good year for some half decent projects B)

that is a mental looking intercooler setup! So awesome

Edited by Tomo

nice man, looking good. that IC is massive!

All i can say is WHOA thats an amazing project you have going there, cant wait to see it in action.

Yes that intercooler is bloody massive, can i ask why would you make it that big? You dont even see any of the 1000+hp GTRs with a unit that big, or the old 60lb+ turbo euro touring cars

can't wait to see it and hear it. badass

can't wait to see it and hear it. badass

What ^^he^^ said!

nice man, looking good. that IC is massive!

Snow Plough ?

But Seriously That is one hell of an E30 you got there

Like to see your car up & running sometime(+ dyno) Noticed you fabricated short intake runners etc, suppose with turbo you can do that easily.

Go M30 PWR.

Like to see your car up & running sometime(+ dyno) Noticed you fabricated short intake runners etc, suppose with turbo you can do that easily.

Go M30 PWR.

Yeah the first incarnation of it I kept the full factory length runners, and now that we have gone to the new intake which is half that length I certainly dont notice any difference in top end breathing as you would expect with the turbo.

Will take her for some more road tunes hopefully next week, and post some more pictures then.

Yeah the first incarnation of it I kept the full factory length runners, and now that we have gone to the new intake which is half that length I certainly dont notice any difference in top end breathing as you would expect with the turbo.

Will take her for some more road tunes hopefully next week, and post some more pictures then.

I have noticed alot of people do serious engine work etc but stick with the very long factory plenum, this must limit top end horespower.I am talking n/a, hope your tuning set up works ok.

Come along way since I last saw you.

Cant wait to see it all done!

Awesome work dude! :) .. great to see another full fabbed up engine! :) .. ITB's look awesome btw

One quick questions and maybe its a typo

Springs are 800lb in front, 400lb in rear, ground control camber plates/hats in front.

Are you still running the counter leaver setup in the rear suspension ? if so you should have the larger spring rate in the back vs the front. The rear semi trailing arm set will even out the spring rates.

having a stiffer spring setup in the front will cause some bad understeer....

I could have it all up the wazooo and you have it setup for drag racing ... incase B)

I have noticed alot of people do serious engine work etc but stick with the very long factory plenum, this must limit top end horespower.I am talking n/a, hope your tuning set up works ok.

Not meaning to highjack here... but thought I would just drop this in while were on the subject.

This is basically the system I'm going to run on the project car. 6 X 40mm Yamaha R1 bike carbs on short straight runners. Some interesting set ups on this site and the guys are really helpfull.

http://www.boggbros.co.uk/gallery4.html

BTW thats bloody nice work. You've put a hell of alot of work into that....its all great fun tho

Looks like you have really planned out your build (as you should) and done the research & maths

I see in the first lot of pictures the motor had the distributor drive on it, and it seems to be missing off the second lot of pictures...bit hard to see. Did you use the M10 front cover ?? I take it your also using a 635 CSI motor for your build. Which is what I'm trying to find.

Cheers

Glenn

Edited by botanymotorworx

OK all,

I still havent posted any pictures of her out of the garage and its already broken!!!!

In testing I have SMASHED the block to pieces. It is cracked right along the exhaust side from back to front through every water gallery.

Looks like the block I used had a small crack and I finished it off. live and learn!

Sooooo, the head is off yet again awaiting a new block. Does anyone have a b34 or b35 block /short engine/complete engine they want to sell/donate to the project?

You are right it was a typo 800 rears 400 fronts, but I still had to increase the fronts to 600lb after a bit of test driving, it felt pretty sloppy in the front end until I did.

Awesome work dude! :) .. great to see another full fabbed up engine! :) .. ITB's look awesome btw

One quick questions and maybe its a typo

Are you still running the counter leaver setup in the rear suspension ? if so you should have the larger spring rate in the back vs the front. The rear semi trailing arm set will even out the spring rates.

having a stiffer spring setup in the front will cause some bad understeer....

I could have it all up the wazooo and you have it setup for drag racing ... incase B)

This is basically how the block is cracked, note the grey line along one side which denotes the crack.

post-168-1206475890_thumb.png

Edited by Damo