Sign in to follow this  
tcbaurpower

[i]I broke the sump on my e28.[/i][font="Arial Black"][/font

Hello

The e28 is sitting nice and low in the front. The problem with that is i now have a cracked sump and therefore a seady oil leak :wacko: . I have found a guy with a e34 520i sump which looks great so all i need to know is will it fit on my 1987 525i?

Cheers

As far as I know, the e34 520 is the M20 engine and your E28 525i is the M30, in which case it won't fit.

Not necessarily, I've got an E28 525i here which has the M30 engine. I'm fairly sure all E28 525i's are M30's, the M20 was used detuned in the 525ee?

as far as i know the m30 was either a 3 or 3.5(or maybe a 2.8) in the E28

Just checked and all E28's are M30's from 525i and up. So the M20 sump won't fit.

Edited by Silver Fox

Most e28 2.5 are M30, the e28 525e uses the M20 2.7 . I think maybe some of the earlier e28 might have used the m20 2.5 but I have never seen one. (watch BMW prove me wrong here.. :blink: )

You will see on the intake manifold 2.5/2.8 or 3.2/3.5 or 3.3/3.5 cast into it.

Posted Image

If it has the dizzy sticking up above the front of the motor it is the M30, I don't think the M30 2.5 ever used the motronic.

I would doubt if the sump off an e34 would fit the m30 motor but as I have never tried it, you never know..

Will

Thanks for the replies , as i thought it is not that simple. The sump did look like it was on a different angle. The intake manifold has 2.5 / 2.8 on it like the photo. Is it worth getting it, only $40, to give it a go?

Cheers

Waste of money, won't fit, you have the M30 motor, better to ask if anyone has one.

525i is M30B25 , 525e is M20B27 , i have a M30 sump for a e28 .

$180 .

cheers brent

Okay so a e34 520i engine is a M20 what is a e34 525i engine are they M30? I have seen a list some where but can not find it now!

Thanks

Well i will just try and find another e28 then. Hey thanks that saves me time and money. Poor car will just have to leak for a while longer.

Cheers

Adam

Yipes, just measured my sump on my e28.... 65mm... wooooops!! Need to fit a sump guard urgently! Wonder if I can mod an e30 one to fit??

The way I drive I won't just crack it if I hit anything, hahahahaha :wacko:

Will

Edited by will

Worst Case Senario you could get it Mig welded back up, A decent engineering place should be able to do this no trouble at all.

If a broken Cast Iron Exhaust manifold can be re welded up surely Cast alloy could be welded by the right person.

i have one left in stock ...

$180 .

i have one left in stock ...

$180 .

That would be great but you are so far away.

I have found some sumps in christchurch off e28's but they are 3.0L and 3.5L will this fit?

Worst Case Senario you could get it Mig welded back up, A decent engineering place should be able to do this no trouble at all.

Yes i have already asked about this and just thought it would be stronger and easier to just replace it. You have to remove the sump and degrease it before you can weld it anyway.

Cheers

I have found some sumps in christchurch off e28's but they are 3.0L and 3.5L will this fit?

Yes i have already asked about this and just thought it would be stronger and easier to just replace it. You have to remove the sump and degrease it before you can weld it anyway.

Cheers

snail mail will be quite cheap....You will have to remove it any way.....might be quite good to have a standby????

Cheers

$200 freighted

021433600 .

Cheers

Yes those will fit.

As you say, alley has to be spotless before you can weld it successfully, I normally grind the crack open with a dremel tool to remove all traces of oil and then take it to be welded.

Will

Yes, E28 3.0 and 3.5 should fit, same block as far as I know.

a 530i e28 , that would be pretty rare :huh: , me thinks it might be a e12 or a e34 type :angry:

Well i will just try and find another e28 then. Hey thanks that saves me time and money. Poor car will just have to leak for a while longer.

Cheers

Adam

The sump on your car was used on E23 728, E24 628CSI, E28 525 & 528