Sign in to follow this  
hotwire

Fitted this today

Finally got around to fitting this today after having had for about a month.

Genuine BMW universal garage door opener UGDO.

Got it from the states - the guy reaconed all E38, 39, 46's were prewired for these units.

I confirmed mine wasn't but looked on WDS & confirmed a simple 3 wire hook up (12v, earth & illumination) so purchased anyway.

I suspect that because this unit uses RF output & my car is Jap origin using IR that these are not specced for Japan destined cars. Stand corrected on that though.

Found out from Jochen, once I had received it that the US uses 315Mhz whereas we generally use 433Mhz so maybe a compatibility issue -BUGGER! He had apparently already been there & got caught out with it.

Checked my garage remote on our frequency meter at work -318Mhz - yay in luck. Programmed it & confirmed it worked on the bench BEFORE I cut the hole.

Bit of a gimmick but cool all the same

post-1215-1202625774_thumb.jpg

Very nice addition! Great job. Would look nicer with a black headliner, black interior lights from an M5 ;)

Any reason for going with this over the rearview mirrors with garage door openers built in, on later BMWs? I'm assuming those could be retrofitted too.

I like gimicky things haha.

Cheers guys, just tripped over it on Ebay, had known of them but never seen one available. Just had to have:-

Haven't seen a mirror mount version for sale but no doubt this is a hell of lot cheaper - cost about $145 NZ all up inc wiring plug/harness since my car not wired for it. Tee'd up the wiring required at the centre dome light & drivers vanity light so an easy install.

Yuen: No reason the rear view mirror version couldn't be fitted although it would complicate as the Jap IR remote receiver is also on the mirror on mine.

You give me the M5 & i'll fit one to it ;)

You dont see the Jappers coming out with practical ideas like this & it's about 10yr old technology for BMW

Anyone can fit this as long as your remote works on the same/similar frequency - no idea how many out there do

Cheers

Grant

Only difference is Bond's one would open the doors... for his rocket launchers B)

Should try & tee that up aye <_<

thats cool didnt even know that bmws could have that

thats the tip of the iceberg mate...get hold of an owners manual for your,I bet it has features you dont know about....

1) auto close of windows and sunroof

2)you can still close windows and sunroof after you have turned key off and or removed it..but not if you have closed drivers door.....

real life convenience things...

Finally got around to fitting this today after having had for about a month.

Genuine BMW universal garage door opener UGDO.

Got it from the states - the guy reaconed all E38, 39, 46's were prewired for these units.

I confirmed mine wasn't but looked on WDS & confirmed a simple 3 wire hook up (12v, earth & illumination) so purchased anyway.

I suspect that because this unit uses RF output & my car is Jap origin using IR that these are not specced for Japan destined cars. Stand corrected on that though.

Found out from Jochen, once I had received it that the US uses 315Mhz whereas we generally use 433Mhz so maybe a compatibility issue -BUGGER! He had apparently already been there & got caught out with it.

Checked my garage remote on our frequency meter at work -318Mhz - yay in luck. Programmed it & confirmed it worked on the bench BEFORE I cut the hole.

Bit of a gimmick but cool all the same

so the three lights/switches allow yu to operate three different garage doors?......hope you dont open all the neigbours.....

Edited by kiwi535

These UGDOs (Universal Garage Door Openers) are very popular in the USA but hardly seen anywhere else in the world.

They are made by HomeLink and are supplied as OEM equipment to a lot of American market cars.

It's a cool concept and much nicer integration than a 'clip on' garage door opener.

It's a cool concept and much nicer integration than a 'clip on' garage door opener.

Agreed, looks like it was there as standard, very smooth! And red illumination like everything else ;)