Sign in to follow this  
hobbsie

Temp gauge problems e30

Has anyone experienced a problem with there temp gauge flicking between 1/4 and 1/2 randomly and sometimes when you 1st turn the car on it will stay below cold before kicking into life.

It seems that its internal as a friendly tap will take it from just above halfway back down to what im used to as normal operating temp of about a 1/4.

I'm not sure if i should start poking around in the gauge cluster to see if theres anything obvious.

Thanks in advance for any help

mine does that too. it will be a dodgy conection somwhere either in the guage or in the conection to the sensor. i cant be bothered trying to fix mine so will just get a new after market guage

They sometimes do that, and a number of things can be the cause.

Bad connection between the temp sender and the gauge are the no one cause - check both ends. To do the cluster end you will need to remove the cluster which is not as hard as it sounds. There are instructions somewhere on the forum. I can get mine out in about 10 min now lol. The thing with removing and working on the cluster is that nothing should require force to remove - if you are forcing something you are going to break it !!

Check the nut on the back of the gauge (the one holding it to the cluster) it needs to be firm. So long as no-one has tampered with the gauge itself it should be ok. make sure terminals at sender end are clean and free from moisture. Dodgy Batteries in the cluster may also cause weird readings.

Edited by ducatiss