Sign in to follow this  
Marcel 323Ti

Latest news 535d and 630Ci

I just received this mail from BMW Netherlands;

BMW is world-famous for the company's truly outstanding straight-six power units. And now two brand-new 3.0-litre engines are joining this great tradition: In autumn of this year a new high-power diesel already presented at the Geneva Motor Show featuring revolutionary turbocharger technology will be actively launched in the BMW 535d Sedan and 535d Touring. The second new power unit likewise entering new terrain is an all-new gasoline engine making its debut in the 630i Coupé and Convertible.

Introducing the Variable Twin Turbo Engine in the new 535d, BMW is setting yet another milestone in the development of automobile diesel technology: This is the first-ever twin-turbocharger diesel power unit in a road vehicle, introducing a highly innovative technology on BMW's three-litre straight-six. Indeed, this exceptional power unit already proved its abilities in the X-raid team's X5 in this year's Paris-Dakar Rally, French driver Luc Alphand not only winning the diesel category hands down, but also finishing fourth overall.

Supreme diesel power now available at all engine speeds.

The big advantage of BMW's variable, two-stage turbocharger technology is that it solves the old conflict of interests between high torque from very low engine speeds and maximum power at high speeds. Developing maximum output of 200 kW or 272 bhp, BMW's three-litre diesel achieves this objective through the variable interaction of a small and a large turbocharger. The small turbocharger develops high boost pressure from low engine speeds, while the large turbocharger ensures an ongoing increase in engine power at high speeds all the way to maximum output. The bottom line, therefore, is supreme power in every situation.

The highly innovative engine develops its maximum output of 200 kW/272 bhp at 4400 rpm, with maximum torque of 560 Nm/413 lb-ft at 2000 rpm. Developing a sensational 530 Nm/391 lb-ft at just 1500 rpm, the engine has all the power and potential of a current four-litre V8 diesel on far lower weight and with greater fuel efficiency

Compared with a conventional turbocharged diesel, the BMW 535d comes with a broader range of useful engine speed extended by approximately 400 rpm to 5000 rpm - again an essential feature contributing to the unusually dynamic character of this new car entering the market in the guise of the 535d Saloon and 535d Touring.

Efficient dynamics of a new dimension.

Clear facts and figures confirm the unusual driving pleasure offered by the world's most powerful diesel in its class: The new BMW 535d accelerates from a standstill to 100 km/h in just 6.5 seconds (535d Touring 6.6 seconds), and despite its outstanding performance the new model offers average fuel consumption of just 8.0 (Touring: 8.2) litres of diesel fuel on 100 km (35.3 and, respectively, 34.4 mpg Imp), just 0.2 litres/100 km more than the BMW 530d. Top speed of the 535d is limited electronically on both models to 250 km/h or 155 mph, high-performance 17-inch brakes ensuring superior brake power and short stopping distances.

EU 4, soot particle filter and six-speed automatic transmission all featured as standard

The new BMW 535d sets new standards also in terms of environmental compatibility, fulfilling the demanding EU 4 emission limits with the help of a soot particle filter featured as standard and operating with maximum efficiency throughout a very long service life without the use of additives or any need for maintenance.

In standard trim the BMW 535d conveys the power of the engine to the rear drive wheels via six-speed automatic transmission with Steptronic. Just some of the signs of distinction setting the new top-of-the-range diesel apart from the BMW 530d are 17-inch wheels with 225/50 R 17 run flat tyres fitted as standard, a modified front air dam, as well as larger, round exhaust tailpipes like on the BMW 545i.

The new BMW 535d Saloon and 535d Touring are scheduled to enter the market in September 2004. Prices will be announced in July.

New six-cylinder gasoline engine making its first appearance in the BMW 6 Series.

Another great BMW tradition is now also being repeated: Following the first BMW 6 Series launched in the late '70s with its six-cylinder power unit, the new BMW 630i Coupé and Convertible are now also making their debut with six cylinders.

With the six-cylinder BMW 6 Series always having been a very popular model, BMW is now re-introducing this car in its model range: The new engine displacing three litres is making its debut in both versions of the BMW 6 Series and will be introduced at a later point in time in other BMW six-cylinder models.

Displacing 2996 cc, the new six-cylinder develops maximum output of 190 kW (258 bhp) at 6600 rpm, with maximum torque of 300 Newton-metres (221 lb-ft) at just 2500 rpm. With its compression ratio of 10.7:1, the engine is able to run on unleaded 91-98 RON fuel. Fuel consumption of the BMW 630i Coupé with its six-speed manual gearbox averages just 9.0 litres on 100 kilometres (31.4 mpg Imp) (six-speed automatic transmission: 9.5 litres/29.7 mpg Imp). Fuel consumption of the BMW 630i Convertible, in turn, is 9.6 and, respectively, 9.9 litres/100 km (29.4/28.5 mpg Imp).

Compared with the two versions of the BMW 645Ci, the transmission ratios of the manual gearbox and automatic transmission are now a bit "shorter", the customer opting for the BMW 630i naturally still having the choice of a manual gearbox, BMW's Sequential Manual Gearbox (SMG), or automatic transmission. With the driver shifting gears manually, the new BMW 630i Coupé accelerates to 100 km/h in just 6.5 seconds (automatic transmission: 6.7 seconds). The BMW 630 Convertible completes the same exercise in 6.9 and, respectively, 7.2 seconds. Top speed on all versions is 250 km/h or 155 mph.

Low weight for supreme performance.

Depending on the transmission and body variant, the weight of BMW's new 630i models is down on average by 120 kilos or 265 lb in comparison with the 8-cylinder models. And the visible signs of distinction setting the BMW 630i Coupé and Convertible aside from the top models within the 6 Series are clearly recognisable both inside and outside: The BMW 630i comes as standard on 7 1/2-inch wide and 17-inch high light-alloy wheels in brand-new styling and with 245/50 R 17 tyres. The front brake discs, in turn, are somewhat smaller in diameter than on the BMW 645Ci.

Further differences from outside are the chrome-plated exhaust tailpipes on the new BMW 630i Coupé and Convertible now round instead of oval in shape, as well as black instead of chrome-plated rods in the radiator grille in typical BMW "kidney" design. Inside, the new six-cylinder models come in an attractive combination of leather and fabric, with all-leather upholstery available as an option at extra cost.

Both of these new models will be available in the German market as of September 2004. Their prices will be announced in July.

I also heard that there will be a 258bhp 130i in the near future :bowdown:

Greetz

Marcel

Holy hell the torque in those TT diesels is massive, i'd love to feel the G-force with that acceleration :mosh:

Thats cool.. Now give us more info on the M cars a new 3 series.

Please dont be ugly... please please please.. :ph34r:

Heute ist nicht ein guten Tag für alle Deutchland...füssball :angry:

I'm still not a fan of BMW bringing out a 1 series

Edited by ///Carl

Guest Andrew

I've driven the BMW Td6 in the Range Rover .. I honestly couldn't tell I was driving a diesel untill I stepped outside and was like.. wait a minute its a diesel!

even though.. diesel still just isn't cool heh

Is turbo technology the same for petrol and diesel? And if so - could they be using it in future M cars....?

Turbos on diesels are completely different from what i've seen but I may be wrong...

Guest Andrew

Diesel is extremely high compression - essentially the same system.. motor is different technology..pretty much.

Aren't the turbos on diesels more integral???

all i was asking is if the turbo systems are different, i kno the engines are..

But yeah, maybe if bmw has the turbo diesels down, they might be able to use that technology on an M car...

turbos arent exactly difficult, or new (see m10 F1 1400 HP turbo in the 80's)...but why use it on an m car? bmw m cars have always used NA high compression powerful engines.....id rather see a m3 V8 than a turbo I6

Would be sweet tho if they got one or two in the lineup again, somewhere down there in the M1/M2 category...

Maybe even a car in the WRC...

Back in the day bmw had quite a good rally car didnt they?

um....no?

there no real point for bmw to go into rally...they got formula 1, probably the biggest marketing tool on the planet for automotive manufacturers....not enough gain to justify the expense of another branch of racing (if they wanted to do well....+ no 4x4 turbo car) although i think an x5 was entered in the paris-dakar...although i could be wrong

m1 is a cool idea...something along the lines of the e30 m3, nice and light

I hope that BMW stay with the high revving NA M cars. I haven't driven an E46 M3 but all the motoring journalists rave about the engine. And new M5 makes same power as AMG supercharged engine of same size, ok so the torque isn't the same but do they really need turbos? I think that its just something that should stay part of the BMW brand. NA is just "cool"

the main reason for turbos is that its cheap power.....NA power costs a lot more..but im sure people buying new m5s wont be too concerned about cost.....

but all the motoring journalists rave about the engine.

they sure do....until their nasty habit of sending rods through their all alloy block happens!

Yeah, I prefer NA engines as they're likely to last longer than a charged engine with my driving :D

Supercharger over turbo any day