Sign in to follow this  
pureboiracer

supercharged e30

hey guys. was just curiouse if anyone has attempted putting a supercharger off the old levins onto a e30. and weather there would be a great deal of work involed and how well it would function in the end??

On what motor? SC12 from the 4agze will probably be too small for any 6cyl. Id atleast try and get a SC14 from the 1GGZE, I believe the came in crowns, or something like that.

Edited by Mike

Like Mike said a SC12 will be to small. Ive seen one a red e30 325 here in NZ done with an m20 and a SC14, was pretty cool

A reasonable amount, though not as bad as turbo. mainly mounts, pulleys and some plumbing off the top of my head.

If your seriously considering doing this it seems as though you'll need to do a whole lot more research. Buy a book or start reading lots of websites. One of those things, if you gotta ask it probably isnt for you.

Lots of info in the supercharging forum at e30tech.

yeh ive never had any dealing with superchargers before so do not know a great deal about them but i figure the only way to learn is to jump in the deep end and give it ago. its only an idea at the moment. not knowing alot about superchargers im asuming i will only need to make some mounts for it and run the air pipes and make a pully for it correct?

there is a red mtech2 one in auckland it was on trademe a year or so ago fro 8000....track it down its awesome!!

I think Simon owns/use to own the red E30 your talking about. Havent spoken to him for a bit.

For all I know he didnt do too much modifying and it was mechanic friendly. Think he got it done at A1 in Howick.

Didnt take too long and wasn't as expensive as you would have thought. Think about $5000 all up.

^ it would probably be run on quite a low boost so you could get away with a rising rate fuel pressure reg and bigger injectors, not ideal but would still do the job. combine that with a chip from TCD or Ant designed for boost (I'm assuming they can do SC chips too) and that should be fine for 7psi or so.

Edited by Mike

No more than around 7-8lbs id say, thats with a modded eprom chip

I would look at running an Eaton M45 system off a C-Class Mercedes. You’d need to fabricate a few bits and bobs like the throttle linkage, drive pully, Supercharger mount and pipes but it wouldn’t be too hard. To make it all work nicely I would get a piggy back ECU installed and tuned.

This is what I ran on my old car.

Posted Image

Note the throttle on the intake side controlled the charger, the pipe coming out the side of the charger goes down to a front mount and comes back up the other side into the intake. It would obviously have to be switched around on a M20.

I would look at running an Eaton M45 system off a C-Class Mercedes. You’d need to fabricate a few bits and bobs like the throttle linkage, drive pully, Supercharger mount and pipes but it wouldn’t be too hard. To make it all work nicely I would get a piggy back ECU installed and tuned.

This is the charger that downing atlanta use for their e36 m42/m43 kit, seems to be well matched, they run low boost with nothing more than a FPR and bigger injectors, somewhere i found a AFR map from one of their cars, was suprisingly smooth.

Cheers. Dan

oh looking at it closely now its a PFL with an mtech2...cool

good job aye! i wonder where that car is now???

yeh its very clean. its still in auckland i saw it in G.I last year. sounds so so tough!....makes me want to buy another e30 now...

Edited by togate

Man, I remember this car. I nearly bought it, I had the money for it as well back then (2005). What put me off was his mate, he told me that the car had already been crashed 3 times. Now, I regret not buying it.

Edited by no_fat_chicks

would be a very cool project...in england a dude put an m90 longnosed supercharger out of a jag onto his touring. looking amazing