Sign in to follow this  
Jeddy

Installing electric windows

I've got an 87' e30 with manual windows and sunroof. I want to change them to electric and was wondering what i need and how much it'll cost.

Does anyone know of a thread on here or any where else that can help me out?

probably cheaper and certainly easier to buy one with electrics.

id be very interested to hear the outcome of any searching/attempts to convert, thats the major let down for me on my car, other than its unkitted body, auto trans etc....

Can be done OK but as David already said -easier to get a car with - unless you have a car out of the ordinary.

Also probably uneconomic unless you can do the changeover yourself - you need all window regulators/motors, switches, wiring (manual car not wired for).

Sunroof can be converted OK too - I have done one myself for a guy -about 2 -3 hrs work. Requires a replacement rack/motor/switch assy - the most involved part is changing the rack assys over.

I can supply parts for you to retrofit if you require but again - unless you can do yourself then probably uneconomic

A member on here offered to do it for i think around 290 subject to me providing the parts.

But i've got a friend who will be able to do it, i just wondered if anyone has any info or links relating to it?

I'm on the look out for a new car but i'm going to keep this one as well.

Be aware that the e30 has differing door shells also, you would need the mechanism that suits your particular door. (found this out the hard way..)

The loom necessary for the conversion is a separate loom so is relatively easy to retrofit but you will have to remove the seats and the carpet to install it. You will also have to get the door looms too and will have to do some minor alteration in the driver's front door plug from memory to accomodate a few wires from the main car loom. This electric window loom has the central locking and electric mirrors integrated into it as well, so you can add that if you dont have it.

The sunroof is a pain to do, I did my motorsport's one a while ago. I was too far into the job when I decided it really wasn't worth the hassle, so continued regardless, but wouldn't do it again.

I have all the bits lying around to do this (electric windows and sunroof) but am obviously too far from you to be of any good to you. I don't think you would need a write-up, it is really quite simple, I could possibly provide a few pics to show you where to route the wiring, the rest is simple plug'nplay.

I don't know if it is worth the hassle to do any of it but definitely not the sunroof..??!!

Will