Sign in to follow this  
E28 Master of diguises

Instrument Cluster

Hi there need of help here we've (myself and my partner) have acquired a 1982 BMW 520i with problems with the instrument cluster acting very funny and playing games.

the previous owner said that speedo wasn't working so hence the reason it had no WOF he also mentioned that it was the speedo cable needed replacing but an answer from a BMW enthusiast from Auckland said that it didn't run by cable it was to do with electric side of it being the battery, me and a mate also done a bit researching into the problem which we also saw the remedy on a UK website on the procedure of replacing the rechargeable battery etc.

what i need to know of, is there anyone in here that is from Auckland that could help me out with any information or better still that has a instrument cluster lying around collecting dust that they could sell.

that would be much appreciated

Hi, in a way, if you feel up to it, you're better to do the battery change, as any cluster you get will be as old as yours, and the batteries could go at any time. Not much to lose anyway, just the price of a couple of rechargeables.

You will find that the SI batteries have probably died and leaked onto the board.

Just remove the cluster, open it up, and use bicarb of soda and a fine brass brush and a fine screwdriver to clean up all push in contacts and the board. Finish off with an electrical contact cleaner.

Buy some new batteries (with solder tags, makes life easy to solder back in) and change the batteries. I have also seen some people buy one of these plastic battery holders and use that externally instead of soldering the batteries onto the board.

My M535 had virtually the exact problems you are having, I did the above and it is now 100%. I had to pull it apart more than once though to properly clean those tricky push in contacts though.. (what I used the fine screwdriver for)

Will

i need just abit of help i have replaced the cluster and now the speedometer work but the odometer number don't change why is that can someone help me out?

When you say you have replaced the cluster I take it you mean that you have bought a second hand unit? If this is the case then the one you bought is obviously faulty. Just by removing and reinstalling the original should not affect the odometer. The odometer can be replaced on its own or individual gears, but if you are not sure on what you are doing I would suggest that someone who has some experience, carry this out for you. It's not so much difficult as fiddly.

Edited by ducatiss

When you say you have replaced the cluster I take it you mean that you have bought a second hand unit? If this is the case then the one you bought is obviously faulty. Just by removing and reinstalling the original should not affect the odometer. The odometer can be replaced on its own or individual gears, but if you are not sure on what you are doing I would suggest that someone who has some experience, carry this out for you. It's not so much difficult as fiddly.

Could you please point me in the right direction to get this work done IE getting the instrument cluster looked at?

Maybe post a request if someone on the board here will take a look for you? I am guessing you would have to ask really nicely and perhaps offer beer as an exchange? Other than that look up the yellow pages yourself and find an instrument repairer or garage that can do it.