Sign in to follow this  
bmwsparkle

project race car

hey guys

im gonna do a race project car in the near future. Dont know how far away ill do it, could be 6 months, could be 3 years. Anyway im gonna do a 70s bimmer up for racing and im deciding between a E21 or a E12, i kinda like the idea of an E12, unless they are extremely heavy. What would be a good engine? M20b25? ill be doing head work on the motor as well so im looking for something thats a pretty strong engine, i was also thinking 2.8 M30 motor (M30b28??) and boring it out to 3 litre. Theres also that idea of that 4 litre E34 V8 (m60b40) in the back of my head...

Probably a couple of recaros chucked in the interior recovered in the original seat colour (got the idea from that awsum s14 2002 that was posted on here a couple of days ago) dont know whether to rip the back seats out and roll cage or not.

Run it thru a 5spd box of course. any ideas? wud a e30 one go into a E21 without too much modification or E28 into a E12?

Of course have to do suspension. Prolly konis for shocks but not sure bout springs. Maybe just some king springs.

as you can see i like to think things way ahead :P , any comments or advice wud b appriciated.

Edited by bmwsparkle

Guest Andrew

You'll regret ever getting an e21.. the 2002 had decent handling.. the e30 had good handling.. the e21 hardly stayed on the road.. terrible terrible handling (hence the reason it only lasted a few years). Your better off getting an e30.

The m30 would make a front heavy e30 .. the V8 is just plain impossible unless you are some kind of made of money legend. The m20 is an expensive motor to do work on and you'll get minimal gains with only head work.

The car would need to meet MSNZ standards. In terms of roll cage - fuel delivery etc etc.

What series would you plan to race it in?