Sign in to follow this  
MYSTRO

z3 lsd

hey all,, i was wondering if any knows anything about z3 lsd's ive been offered one out of a z3 rce car and my mate reckons that they pretty much bolt straight into e30........do u think it would be worth purchacing or a waste of time......

Guest Andrew

no they don't bolt straight in.. its the same as the e36 unit. Have a looksie on google

no they don't bolt straight in.. its the same as the e36 unit. Have a looksie on google

are you serious? the Z3 LSD is the same as the E36 diff? might have to find one and LSD my 325!!! mint! what sort of money would i be looking at for a z3 lsd?

i imagine the subframe mountings would be different

Guest Andrew

Are you sure Andrew? The Z3 finned rear cover fits on to the E30 diff housing.

I know the cover fits - and thats all that does.

Can any one with the ETK get it to say its a matched part?

6Cyl E30, 6Cyl Z3 & M coupe/roadsters & E28's have the same diff.

The E28 & Mcoupe/roadsters have larger axle flanges that can be interchanged with your E30 6cyl ones.

The E28's have a different rear cover (that will not fit a E30), but your E30 6cyl one will bolt on.

The Mcoupe/roadsters have a large finned diffcover that will fit the E30 (The ETK won't say it's a matched part because it was not a part for the E30).

These are different to the E36 diff, but they do share the same LSD centre (matched from the ETK).

Best to find out if it is a small or medium case diff also.

NB: Not all 6cyl models have medium case diff!!

Guest Andrew

6Cyl E30, 6Cyl Z3 & M coupe/roadsters & E28's have the same diff.

The E28 & Mcoupe/roadsters have larger axle flanges that can be interchanged with your E30 6cyl ones.

The E28's have a different rear cover (that will not fit a E30), but your E30 6cyl one will bolt on.

The Mcoupe/roadsters have a large finned diffcover that will fit the E30 (The ETK won't say it's a matched part because it was not a part for the E30).

These are different to the E36 diff, but they do share the same LSD centre (matched from the ETK).

Best to find out if it is a small or medium case diff also.

NB: Not all 6cyl models have medium case diff!!

so your saying.. swap the axle flanges with your open diff and your sorted.

p.s go on MSN.

must have missd you on MSN.

But Yeah, basically.

For Medium case diffs:

E30, E28, E24, E23, Z3 (incl Mcoupe/roadster) all share the same diff.

The E2* have different rear covers & swap for E30 ones.

The E2* & Mcoupe/roadster have bigger stub axle flanges, swap in your E30 ones.

Clear aas mud!!

I was speaking GAC in Chch who do the rebuilds/increase lock up etc... on the LSD's.

Mention it was very expensive because BMW no longer supply the LSD clutch disc and he has to get them made @ $90ea (there are 2 stock, he upgrades to 6=$$$), plus all your normal rebuild costs!! Ends up $$$$$.

I worked it out and it was more cost effective to get a Quaife ATB $1600ish (TORSEN or Mechanical LSD), once it's in you never have to touch it again, just oil changes!!

where would one get a quaife from glenn? in the bigger scheme of things thats not a bad price for a non-viscous LSD...much more durable too i would imagine? and no damage from heating up, what sorta % lock ups are they, or custom?

I'll try and find the email Gus.

It was from someone down south I think.

It is good value really as you will have a brand new LSD.

Maintenance free, just change the oil!!

You don't define the lock-up % like a conventional plate LSD, the are infinitley variable, do a google on torsen LSD's lots of good explanations on how they work.

I think you can choose the torque split ratio 3:1 5:1 etc...

Basically if one wheel has X amount of torque it will send 5*X to the other wheel which has more traction.

Torsen LSD are also compatable with BMW Traction control as it complement the use of the brakes to achieve the desired traction. Where as a conventional LSD essentally induce loss of traction to one wheel to provide torque to the other (in a very tight +75% diff that is.

Guest Andrew

howstuffworks.com explains torsen (torque sensing diffs) gus.

glenn - whats a typical rebuild period on a viscous diff under heavy use?

You don't/can't rebuild most viscous LSDs, for a plate type LSD it would depend on how locked it is and how hard it's used, change the oil in it regualy and treat it with care and they last a reasonable amount of time....