Sign in to follow this  
petone

Insurance

Hi all, just a moan about stupid insurance. I got 3rd party fire and theft which costs about $150 a year (I think). Anyway thats fine but I recently lowered my car and when I told NZI they said that they needed to see the certification??? I did everything fully legal so there is no reason for me to go and waste good money on cert which I don't need. Or do I? And then when I asked about fitting 17s they said excess would go up another $500? I'm not happy at all. Now I can understand about engine mods but none of this makes me go any faster its just for handling and looks? Oh BTW I'm 18, have full licence, and have been paying insurance for over a year now with no claims, also its through a broker that the olds use but its in my name. Can anybody recommend a good insurance company that wont f**k me round and has good premiums and excess (Ok, i know, insurance like that is as rare as rocking horse sh*t but you get the idea)

arg ur lucky dude- mines the same, but State, and bout 470!!

I'm paying $550 through state for gold insurance, $9k cover, I think excess is either $500 or $750.

Edited by ///Carl

If its any consolation, my insurance doubled when I moved from Cambridge to Auckland last year.

This is even though in Auckland my car is in a locked garage, in a secure complex (i.e. to get to the car you wolud need to get into the secure complex, and break into the garage). In Cambridge, I very rarely even bothered to lock my car, and had it parked in an unlocked garage.

But I'm not complaining, my insurance is still pretty cheap, and I have a 65% no claims bonus so this makes it even cheaper.

Cheers

Yeah, go the no claims, make sure you get an alarm aswell, it's only a 5% discont through state (prob same elsewhere?) but that saves $25-50 a year and means keyless entry :D

Guest Andrew

Yeah state wouldn't insure my car.. have to get it certed then try national auto club,

Why wouldn't they cover you, does your car sit below the legal limit, or did they say you needed a cert for any modification???

The reason I ask is that i've lowered my car (still legal) and am about to change teh gearbox...

state pretty much said "f**k off" to me when i told them about my crx, two of my other cars they insured no questions asked.. no problems, bo differences this time except a little old crx... with "minimal modification" :mosh:

bastids

auto club slapped me $650 for third party fire (no theft)

so a waste of my time really :thumbsdown:

Why wouldn't they cover you, does your car sit below the legal limit, or did they say you needed a cert for any modification???

The reason I ask is that i've lowered my car (still legal) and am about to change teh gearbox...

The gearbox won't matter. I just rung and informed my insurance company, and they noted it on my file. They didn't care at all and didn't ask any questions.

Cheers

Guest Andrew

The engine swap .. its easiest when you cert to get everything done.. my seats the springs/shocks and motor.

Theyll want more excess for the wheels coz they could get stolen.

Just decide wether peace of mind is worth the extra money or not. National autoclub will insure anyone pretty much, but thats also why they got high excess and price for most..

The car as its sits now is fully legal - 100mm clearance, captive springs etc but they want cert which costs at least $300. As for the wheels I hopefully buying some 2nd hand for $500 which really pisses me off that they want $500 excess for it. I realise its cheaper to do the cert all at once but I dont have the money to do everything at once. Oh well I just suppose its my fault for being under 25 and having such a fast car.

Modified vehicle, 18 yr old driver... you can't expect to get decent insurance terms.

The statistics for vehicles in that demographic are horrendous... I don't know why any insurance company insures male drivers under 20.

Im 19 on a restricted licence and have my car fully insured under my name for $13,500 with state insurance, I pay $700 a year. They insured me within 10mins on the phone, ive never had problems with state insurance with any of my cars. I guess its just up to who you talk with.

Good luck, Id try again and dont tell them you have already called. B)

Im 19 on a restricted licence and have my car fully insured under my name for $13,500 with state insurance, I pay $700 a year. They insured me within 10mins on the phone, ive never had problems with state insurance with any of my cars. I guess its just up to who you talk with.

Good luck, Id try again and dont tell them you have already called. B)

It depends on if you have insured a car with them before, and your record. Have you insured a car with them before?

But that is a really good price for a male under 25. Is that with a no claims bonus too?

Cheers

Yeh, i have insured 2 other cars with them before, but if i have an accident i pay the first $800 I think, but still $800 against $13500 is nothing. They insured the head deck, wheels on my car ontop of the cars $11,500. So im happy. :bounce:

but is it on the "blacklist"....

my car is.. well wasnt until i told them about it haha :mosh:

In some respect you're getting an ok deal, i've heard of worse.

I drive a minta '86 318iM :bowdown: that is completely stock except for the king springs that stiffened things up, it doesnt even look low.

Example in my case, when i went to change my insurance i uttered the letters B...M...W... and they just smiled at me and said "ahh, no". When i wasked why, there was a bullshit excuse of that it was and 1800 coupe and i was young. To that, my comeback was that my previous car was a 2lt couple (honda :blush: accord) and prior to that was a toyota levin (when i was 17!!) After negotiations with their head honcho in auckland they accepted me.

Few years later now, i'm paying $730 pa @ 65% NCD (!!), and recently recieved a letter saying due to the fact that e30's are now a targetted car, my excess is $1k, with an excess for attempted theft or theft of $1500 !!

Note, dont insure with the AA, they're a bunch of theiving &*$%#& !! and i too am searching for a better deal!!

Guest Andrew

Seeing as the market value of a 84 320 was 3300 and the market value of a 318 is even less they refused to insure me full insurance based on ethical grounds.

The 325.. which has had so much coin spent on it is getting valued by a valuer person and then the insurance company will do agreed values.

M325is - that is a ridulous price.. I have 2 cars insured with them.. I'm 19 have full insurance - no claims etc and know people at state.

Rob, your paying crazy money....for a 318! its not like you could crash it....im actually surprised that im insured...insured for 5k FAT with 1.5k excess or so (had a crash when i was younger) ive had my full for 2 years which probably helps though....and its for 2500cc.....being 18 im surprised i got insured. im with westpac, which is lumley general insurance, probably helps that my folks are with them...full ins with them was around 3.5g a year, with nat auto club around a grand

M325is - that is a ridulous price.. I have 2 cars insured with them.. I'm 19 have full insurance - no claims etc and know people at state.

Why do you say that? I think what im paying is very resonable for a modified car worth $13500. Id rather pay a small price now then a large one later with all the dicking around. ^_^

darn my last car costed $3K or so to insure, and about $3.5K excess national auto club was the only company that will insure it ....

and i'm currently 20 years old and my new car is only around $1K premium but excess is like $5K !!!!!!!! I'm with so other company now, can't remember what it is as broker arranges it all ...

make sure you tell them about EVERY mod - as soon as you claim they'll decline on the basis that the mod made the car stand out more. and hence the higher premiums for mod cars!! i'm paying about $80 pa for 3rd party only - but 65% no claims and i'm a little over 25 (41)!! hahaha

sounds like the premiums we paid in the uk - approx $2000 pa for thrid party only with 65% no claims!!! (325i) is group 7 over there - in the really scary high premium bracket)

Guest Spargo

It's all about who you know.

Costs 800 a year for the iS with 40 points on licence(3 weeks away from beingg clean!), and a couple of eye watering camera fines) but i've got 3 years no claims at a 50% discount.

For sheer amusement, i rang them and asked about being nominated driver on big red, the the answer was suprising, a resonable 2K a year.