Sign in to follow this  
pr0fess0r

2003 BMW 545i

Hi Guys!

For about 4 years we had a 96 540i which was a veru nice car, but we've just upgraded to a 2003 545i... what a machine!! It's a dream car. of course now we're trying to work out, for example, how to get an NZ Nav DVD for less than $1000! And get the radio frequencies to work. And plug an iPhone into it... that's all going to be fun. Hopefully the experts here at bimmersport can help :)

I've attached a pic ;)

cheers!

post-2848-1204675977_thumb.jpg

Guest Simon*

Bloody nice wheels

Well done! I'm sure someone here will be able to help you out with those issues

Welcome

Nice looking car you have there, with some M-Tec bits and H&R springs she would look sinister.

There is a resident wiz that could help you with your questions… Im sure he will poke his head out shortly!

Wow, thanks for the great feedback! They;'re great rims but we have to be careful, we've already scratched one! (But some mobile rim repair guy is going to come and look at them). We had thought about putting a sports exhaust in it (the 540i we had has one and boy does it growl), and lowering it slightly. But everyone is telling us not to lower it... what do you guys think?

Thanks again for helping out a newbie, I've dropped hotwire a PM about the nav system ;)

cheers!

I would lower it slightly to remove the unsightly guard gap.

Looks really good.

That's a gorgeous car and the Alloys Oh my! Id agree with a little lowering to help fill the guards more

Riley

Oh My, what a sweet looking 5er, nice colour and those wheels are wicked.

Welcome.

Mean wheels, and yea, just a little lower - reduce the guard gap

Edited by Nick021

the only reason i can think not to lower it is if it has edc or similar...ie different suspension settings(sport comfort etc),or some form of self levelling suspension system.

Welcome fellow e60-er!!

Go to e60.net to get some of your tech questions answered.

To lower it, consult your BMW dealer especially if you have Dynamic Drive.

For iPhone, you'll need Bluetooth module (unless it's already there).

For Nav, if it's Jap then it'll be difficult to make it work in NZ. Hopefully our resident wizards have a way.

I've seen Jap imports e90 and e87's radios managed to get changed to NZ frequencies. Take note though that those are non-iDrive driven radios.

Soon you'll realise that every change to the electronics of the car will require update to car's system. If the record between the main BMW database and in your car get out-of-sync, problems would arise, or so I've been told.

Keep us updated, I'm especially interested in hearing your mods since I also have an e60.

Edited by 318Touring

Super car. Apparently that 4.4 N62 is also used in a Morgan. cool

Welcome! The car looks very nice, the wheels suit it. As above it would look even better with a bit of a drop. From that angle it doesn't look like the wheel gap detracts much from the car though.

Is that your garage?

Thanks for that, I'd hoped it was as simple as getting a new Nav DVD, and the iDrive would just use that... but I'll do some research and let you know how I go!

cheers

No it's a film studio where we were doing a product shoot, so we snuck the car in there and got some photos at the same time :) I've uploaded another one

cheers

post-2848-1204688911_thumb.jpg

Hi again...

Is it actually an E60? I thought E60s were 2004+, and this is a 2003 model...? How would I find out?

Thanks for that, I'd hoped it was as simple as getting a new Nav DVD, and the iDrive would just use that... but I'll do some research and let you know how I go!

cheers

Hi Ive got the same car but 04 model unfortunately on standard wheels , BM workshop can up grade the radio software for NZ its an overnight job give them a call.

My understanding of the Nav is that it requires at least one complete new module ($3K) from memory and that even then there is no guarantee that it will run with the software. BMW require customers to sign a disclaimer for any software upgrades in case module go down.

My advice is to leave it alone until there is a proven remedy.

Also make sure the engine and trans oils are EXACTLY as specified by the factory

any variation will cause major issues , they are not car that tolerate being serviced outside factory specs.

have fun

alex

Hi again...

Is it actually an E60? I thought E60s were 2004+, and this is a 2003 model...? How would I find out?

Yours is an e60. Production starts middle of 2003. It'd be Model Year 2004.

There is no 545 for e39.

Has anyone tried the Dice iPod Car integration kit?

iPod-nising your car will cost about $500 from BMW dealer inclusive of everything. And that will make it work through the steering wheel buttons, albums show up on iDrive etc.

Cheaper is to put an AUX, which costs about $300.

No it's a film studio where we were doing a product shoot, so we snuck the car in there and got some photos at the same time :)

Thats a cool pic, looks very much at home there.

iPod-nising your car will cost about $500 from BMW dealer inclusive of everything. And that will make it work through the steering wheel buttons, albums show up on iDrive etc.

Cheaper is to put an AUX, which costs about $300.

not as cool though Daniel!

http://www.bimmernav.com/index.html,list some parts and info for the E60,almost certainly cheaper than here