Sign in to follow this  
emily-mouse

Compressed Springs+18"s=Oh dammit.

Howdy,

Haha someone was right who posted on my "new persons post" about my tyres.

I just came home from the tyre shop. Goodbye to a couple of hundy.

My tyre pressure had been going down a bit just after i bought it, we found a stone wedged inbetween the rim and tyre, so yeah put the blame on that.

The tyre pressure kept on going down, so took it in today, you guessed it, inside on both rare tyres they had gouges down to the canvas. *Rolls eyes*.

The dude told me it's pretty normal for that to happen on bmw's or mercs, just for some reason which i wasn't focusing on obviously.

Oh ps. The guy who did the tyres for me told me I shouldn't have got a bema, jap cars are better and cheaper.

Pfft, PULEASE!!

haha obviously the tyre guy hasnt owned a beema before!

once you get one you can never go back! :D

Guest Simon*

You're right to ignore the ignorant who say "Why'd you get a beamer? Expensive blah blah....."

I had the same thing with my rear tyres too. Because you basically have oversized wheels for your car, and a very low suspension setup (which is only for looks and no good for anything else) you have a lot of negative camber on your rear wheels.

Stop me if you know this, but to explain, that means that the rear wheels lean inwards at the top (ie tops of the tyres are closer together than the bottoms) and you wear out that inside strip that bears the brunt of this arrangement.

You can expect you tyres to wear like this every time, from inside to out

Hmmm, is there anyway to prevent it? Maybe rotating them?

...Or removing half of my closet out of the boot? Haha. (I'm joking by the way).

haha use smaller tyres, ive got 17s and theres just as much camber lucky theres just enough room so mine dont rub

if you run anycar very low your goin to get camber wear

compressing springs and not knowing what your in for = $$$$$$

if you run anycar very low your goin to get camber wear

unless you modify the suspension to dial out the excess camber... B)

yes jap cars make it easy with adjustible arms availible easily

bmw not so from what i have seen

Edited by Pboy

I was thinking of dropping my E30 50mm

Im having enough trouble with tyres already

Would that mess the camber up and cause me more problems ?

quote simon..............-you basically have oversized wheels for your car

common 18s on a e36 i would say 20s are oversized :P

skrillz- you will be fine a bit of wear after a while - from what iv seen bmws camber easy ?

skrillz- you will be fine a bit of wear after a while - from what iv seen bmws camber easy ?

ok sweet =D

I was thinking of dropping my E30 50mm

Im having enough trouble with tyres already

Would that mess the camber up and cause me more problems ?

yes. either live with the increased wear or modify your subframe to adjust it.

the sacrifice of camber,i remember on my old mark 2 i ran 5 degrees on the rear with a 11 inch wide rim for shits and giggles haha....tire lasted a whole 2 weeks. so pretty much if you want to keep it at the height it is, be prepared to pay for new tires every couple of months.

140mm rear drop and a steelie tyre lasted all of 2 weeks aswell.

Basicly, if you don't have the $ to run a car that low with the wheels you have on it...jack it back up.

Otherwise harden the f**k up and welcome to the world of SLAB haha kidding. But seriously sh!t will crap out eventually.

19inch tyres at 250 cheapest ........................i cant realy aford that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

Look mate...E36 with 18s (225s) on 80mm...good camber...not over the top...the cars all good bro...handles good as well especially on the twisty roads, absolutely fabulous grip...

19inch tyres at 250 cheapest ........................i cant realy aford that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

you still on wires?

did Nino tell you about his new front shocks?

I know how you feel, my car is up on stands looking pretty sorry for itself waiting for rubber, things take time though, things being money!

For some reason my new 215/35's have outlasted any other tyre I've had. They are still mean as on the inside but I'm going to rotate them tommorow anyways.

Toyo proxes...set me back 35 bucks a tyre from a fulla who wanted to run 195's on an 8 inch wheel. Mean score.

Otherwise PM me, I have a mate who can sort out cheap 80% tread low pros.

'bout time I waded into this and gave you a 'professional' opinion.

It won't matter what size rim and tyre you run 17,18 or 19 you will still have camber issues. The issue arises because realistically your car is too low. WOF states it must be 100mm above the ground from the lowest structural point. This has all been covered before in various topics on here.

Having too much camber is dangerous, in essence, without going into too much detail, you are only using about half of your tyre on the road, this explains why you were having trouble with grip.

Most of the people on here try and promote safe and legal ways to 'enhance' your car. There are a number of people on here however, who think they know better. Personally, I, and I am sure others here are waiting for the first post along the lines of rear subframe cracked.............. or driveshafts poked............. bounced off (insert object here) and crashed into.......

I am not one of the "oldies" on here (only just past 30) but have been around the industry long enough to know how to do things properly. The old adage "do it once and do it right" is a motto that everyone should adhere to.

If you can do it on the cheap chances are it will cost you more in the long run. Anyway good luck with the new car, I am sure you will love it.

my piece of advice would be to spend $400 - $500, get your car lowered legally and properly (it will raise it slightly from its current point). you will save money on tyres as they won't wear as fast and the car will handle so much better :D

my piece of advice would be to spend $400 - $500, get your car lowered legally and properly (it will raise it slightly from its current point). you will save money on tyres as they won't wear as fast and the car will handle so much better :D

+10