Sign in to follow this  
emily-mouse

Compressed Springs+18"s=Oh dammit.

for once listen to someone who knows what they are talking about instead of your mates

I'm also getting sick of the same old topics being covered again and again.

to sum it up: do it right or do it again.

we aren't saying this for the sake of it, But for our own safety and yours.

Jono- too bad safe isn't cool.

Edited by Mike

+1 its the same crap every week. Dont know how many times this has been discussed. Half of the idiots will only look cool in a coffin.

Its quite funny the number of people in here that ask for advise....and then dont bother to listen.

And I know this has been said before too. BMW AG spend millions developing safety and handling. Why would you get one of their cars and totally f**k it up. Cant understand the logic in all that.

I dont think that the sencible people in here, who are true enthusiasts of BMW's support this crap. I think there are other forums for that kind of nonsense..... I heard you get lessons in reform school & jail

Just my 2 cents worth

Glenn<<<<< one of the labeled "old farts"

Edited by botanymotorworx

My previous post is not intended to insult our new member 318mouse who started this thread. If you need to fix the problem ring Johno (zenetti) get the right advise and do it properly, or put up with excessive tyre wear= $$$$$

You cant have it both ways... too low (illegal)= tyre wear + $$$$

Lowered properly (legal)= minimal tyre wear + less $$$$ in the long run

End of story

Edited by botanymotorworx

+2 Enough said

Woooh! has that just boiled the jug or what? time for an early morning cupper

Sorry just the devil in me again:lol:. Have to side with the so called "old brigade" on this issue.With anything mechanical do it once correctly or leave it alone totally. As it will most assuredly come back to bit you in the ass. My years in the motor industry has shown me this many times.

2 cents worth

Allan

+3 - I'm getting bloody sick of it as well.

The site/forum seems to have attracted a core bunch of idiots who not only put their life at risk every time they drive, but also every other road user around them. It seems to happen every year or two, thankfully these guys don't last and either move on from BMW's or get sick of the constant harassment and find a site/forum more suited to their perception of what makes a good car.

Cheers

Grant

The last few posts have really hit the mark.

Below is what not to do when lowering a car. I use to have a Pulsar Gtir a while ago. It was pretty standard. Just little 15s and lowered on kings. It would handle pretty good, just a bit of understeer at corners at high speeds. Anyway, I managed to get some 17" chrome raptors for just over a grand. 17" chromes were the 'in' thing then. I didn't wanna spend a grand on adjustables but I wanted it low. So guess what? I cut two coils of my kings springs. I wanted it that low. It went low alright. I loved it. I couldn't even turn the front wheel to its stops. I had to go really slow around roundabouts. It bounced on every little hump on the road.

Well as time went by, the costs went up. Every two months I would have to change the front tyres. It was a waste of time getting a wheel alignment because as soon as I got one done, it would go of when the car went thru turns.

When i went to sell the car, I found out all the cv joints were damaged and the shocks were history.

I learnt my lesson. If you gonna lower the car really low, make sure you do it properly and have the money to cover for any extra costs.

I knw you are probably thinking we are giving u sh*t for no reason, but its ur safety and ur money at the end of day. The reason we are saying this is because we have been down that road and it was not worth stuffing up ur car and risking ur or someone elses life.

Edited by no_fat_chicks

The last few posts have really hit the mark.

Below is what not to do when lowering a car. I use to have a Pulsar Gtir a while ago. It was pretty standard. Just little 15s and lowered on kings. It would handle pretty good, just a bit of understeer at corners at high speeds. Anyway, I managed to get some 17" chrome raptors for just over a grand. 17" chromes were the 'in' thing then. I didn't wanna spend a grand on adjustables but I wanted it low. So guess what? I cut two coils of my kings springs. I wanted it that low. It went low alright. I loved it. I couldn't even turn the front wheel to its stops. I had to go really slow around roundabouts. It bounced on every little hump on the road.

Well as time went by, the costs went up. Every two months I would have to change the front tyres. It was a waste of time getting a wheel alignment because as soon as I got one done, it would go of when the car went thru turns.

When i went to sell the car, I found out all the cv joints were damaged and the shocks were history.

I learnt my lesson. If you gonna lower the car really low, make sure you do it properly and have the money to cover for any extra costs.

I knw you are probably thinking we are giving u sh*t for no reason, but its ur safety and ur money at the end of day. The reason we are saying this is because we have been down that road and it was not worth stuffing up ur car and risking ur or someone elses life.

Most of us here have heard similar stories.

There are reasons for being sensible, listening to others and driving within the law

I think i've said this before but most people here don't care if it's unsafe, just as long as it look "phat", worry about the safety thing later on down the line.

I think i've said this before but most people here don't care if it's unsafe, just as long as it look "phat", worry about the safety thing later on down the line.

I actually think that you are wrong. Most people on here really want a safe, good performing (in all facets) car, the trouble is that the guys who seem happy to make their cars unsafe, all for a look, form a very vocal minority (even if 90% of their posts are pure dribble...but hey, it ups their post count!!).

Cheers

Grant

Most people on here really want a safe, good performing (in all facets) car, the trouble is that the guys who seem happy to make their cars unsafe, all for a look, form a very vocal minority (even if 90% of their posts are pure dribble...but hey, it ups their post count!!).

Cheers

Grant

Totaly agree there Grant

I would like to suggest that if we continually get bombarded with all this crap. Get rid of the crap !!!

Either keep the crap out of here, find another forum or IP bann them. This i'snt the platform for their nonsense. And I know its not the forum owners intensions to condone all this bullshit.

Maybe put it to a vote ??

"The old fart"

Wooo. Sorry people. I'm a chick, I don't have top knowledge of this kinda stuff, I bought the car, I love bmw's, I like how mine looks, my mods are all legal, and what i've got out of this post is generally it just happens to bmw's.

Some people need to calm the fook down.

Obviously it's just what happens when a bema is lowered.

Sorry guys...=[

totally agree with you guys but compressed springs are safer than cut , compressed springs not captive are not safe , yes more wear and tear on car , adjusties are the best but you will have to pay alot more .

or if you want the best in the way of raising and lowering your car airbaggs are the way to go ? but dont handle like adjusties

anyone agree?

Pity half of the people on here don't have the money for bags.

How much are they anyways?

I'm guessing an arm and a leg?

I too am siding with the "oldies". Let's create a thread where everyone who wishes to can hang out and talk about ridin' looooooow and leave the rest of the forum available for more pressing matters.

It's kind of like Britain shipping all the criminals off to Australia back in the day....except on the internet.

to side with the so called "old brigade" on this issue.

great, guess I'm an oldie then. <_<

Wooo. Sorry people. I'm a chick, I don't have top knowledge of this kinda stuff, I bought the car, I love bmw's, I like how mine looks, my mods are all legal, and what i've got out of this post is generally it just happens to bmw's.

Sorry guys...=[

the onslaught wasn't aimed at you, no need to apologise. but please do us a favour and listen to what we saying.

Edited by Mike

Sorry guys...=[

No need to be sorry Emma

You will get the right advise from people in here. And there are alot of people in here who will willingly give you the "right" advise.

Its just that we have a few brain dead idiots that talk bullshit all the time. Keep watching and you'll pick up on who to confide with when you need help.

BTW....car looks nice....luv the "red" chromies arent me tho...and the camber will give you alot of tyre wear

Cheers

Glenn

Get over it, its you guys that brought into this, if you read it.

pboy and diablo f**kn hilirous to see you last night

Get over it, its you guys that brought into this, if you read it.

pboy and diablo f**kn hilirous to see you last night

Just getting sick of all your crap

PBoy - you're missing the point.

The problem isn't just safety with compressed springs vs cutties vs bags vs adjustable coilovers. Although cutties are pretty bad.

The problem is that excessive lowering of an E36 (and most BMWs) completely stuffs the suspension geometry. Most of the problem is being too low, not (only) how you get there.

There isn't any way of fixing this properly, short of changing suspension pickup points. To some extent, there are camber and toe correction kits which can fix it, but if you want to slam the car then it's going to get camber wear, and camber wear (especially only a few 1,000km to a pair of tyres) is basically a good indication you have too much camber.

Do E36's get excessive toe in when they're excessively low (like trailing arm E30/e21/2002/etc)? That won't help tyre wear either.

don't bring it up then, the lady just was saying then you guys went off your face.

How was she meant to know.

I think that the comments made are that most people are sick and tired of the "how low can I go bro" Who gives a sh*t...its legislated...break the law, frigg your car up, who cares, just take it elsewhere.

So much sensible advise is given to people, but we still keep getting the nonsense.

And yes you have told us a billion times, we know and great we are not going to cahnge our minds untill we are old and rusty.

MOVE ON!!!!