Sign in to follow this  
Justlikemusic

327i Turbo E30 Build

Hi, after quickly adapting E30 turbo fever from watching youtube movies, and having to purchase a car to get me around... I ended up losing my licence for 0.059% BAC. The limit here is 0.05% so I guess I was unfortunate. However now I am finding myself approaching winter time, and dedication towards my job is being shown. I meet more girls on the bus anyway, and traction in winter time wet is crap anyway.

So it's turbo time.

I have just under $500pw to spend on this project... so in six months it's going to be really looking sweet. I have another three weeks until I go to court, and the exhaust leaks air, the gearbox needs a new thrust bearing, car will need a new clutch when the turbo goes in. The engine runs awesome, car has 283,000km's on it so it's getting a bit old. However, the bottom end is strong as, running semi-synthetic oil.

Previous owner was a golfing pro chic who had it for six years and babied it.

So far in the past couple days since I decided to start to turbo it...

Mounted the FMIC 600x300x75mm 3" In/Outlets

Sourced RB30 T/B and will probably fit that this week and drive around with it N/A'd for the next three.

I'll order the exhaust manifold from the states. I can get the cheap ones there somewhere for $250 or so.... I sourced someone in Australia selling the same ones for the M3's 3.0/3.2L E36 for $250 so he should be able to get me some for the M20. If not I'll make it myself!

Not sure on the turbo... probably a T3.

Will order a Megasquirt and finish the FMIC piping next week. Interior will come out in another three weeks and that will start to take shape.

I'll have to get injectors and everything else... but it's coming together!!!

Sideskirts and the kit can come later... once this is done in about 2-3 months, It's going to be a track car until I get my licence. I'll have to find a nice LSD for it. Once I edit my number plates out, I'll post up the ETA LSD spinning like the thing is on ice. I got a wicked crabwalking video of her.

Here are some pics from when I first bought it. First day and I replaced the rocker cover gasket already!

post-2766-1205041497_thumb.jpg

post-2766-1205041523_thumb.jpg

Gutted on losing your lisence haha,

But sounds like its gonna be a nice car.

Gutted on losing your lisence haha,

But sounds like its gonna be a nice car.

I'm 25... I had to re-sit my exam because they cancelled my licence for 0.08

I got my licence back and four days later I get pulled over for DD. That is really crap. I spaced my drinks, it was 3am, I had heaps of food, I knew I was driving. It's not like I was intentionally drunk driving. I feel I learnt my lesson the first time. Now I will never drink and drive again. Ill turbo the Beema when I get it back and smoke and fly =)

Anyway, me not having a licence is stopping me from driving around a crappy stocker beema... when I get it back I woulda lost some weight riding my bike, be fit and ready for summer with a pimpin 327i turbo leather clad, sittin on rims...

Stage 1 -> http://www.alpinaaustralia.com.au/dyno/dyno_E30_M20_325e.htm

Stage 2 -> http://www.alpinaaustralia.com.au/dyno/dyn...325e_stage2.htm

I don't understand how a performance cam, 325i Head and diff upgrade can give only 10rwkw improvement...

Is it due to the loss in compression? Because that would be understandable. I thought the 327i turbo would be the best value for money car I could buy in all truth. R31 Skyline was a close contender, but I like the beema's size, and everyone has a skyline. I love Euro cars.

I'm 25... I had to re-sit my exam because they cancelled my licence for 0.08

I got my licence back and four days later I get pulled over for DD. That is really crap. I spaced my drinks, it was 3am, I had heaps of food, I knew I was driving. It's not like I was intentionally drunk driving. I feel I learnt my lesson the first time. Now I will never drink and drive again. Ill turbo the Beema when I get it back and smoke and fly =)

Anyway, me not having a licence is stopping me from driving around a crappy stocker beema... when I get it back I woulda lost some weight riding my bike, be fit and ready for summer with a pimpin 327i turbo leather clad, sittin on rims...

Oh thats gotta suck lol

Turbo'd E30s are mint, I would but mines a 1600 auto haha

Dont really know too much about compression and stuff but,

Yeah Skylines are a bit too common, Go E30s!

Edited by Skrillz

Stage 1 -> http://www.alpinaaustralia.com.au/dyno/dyno_E30_M20_325e.htm

Stage 2 -> http://www.alpinaaustralia.com.au/dyno/dyn...325e_stage2.htm

I don't understand how a performance cam, 325i Head and diff upgrade can give only 10rwkw improvement...

Is it due to the loss in compression? Because that would be understandable.

You Shouldnt loose any compression by changing your cam. The Static compression ratio should still be the same.

I notice theres no torque curve on the second dyno, Would be interesting to see the increased torque across the dyno chart after the new cam.

Keep us all posted on the progress, Ive been trying to weigh up whether or not to turbo my e30 or do a transplant to a different engine.

From changing the head I mean... putting the B25 head on gives you around 8.8:1 or less compression, I forgot exactly what it was. Cam will give more lift, so will make more power... however low compression will be a prick.

I can get a M50B25 engine for about $1000 all up second hand, but a manual gearbox is going to cost me that also... then there is fabrication of exhaust manifolds etc etc... all for about 190hp stock.

Now when it comes to making More power than that... the M50 will probably take over and make another 15/20% on what the M20 could produce in total at higher revs due to the twin cam. However a 327i engine makes around 180hp that I've seen, and it's nearly already in my car.

Definately turbo the M20. Parts are everywhere and cheap. In three months I got a $6000 budget I worked it out to be, so the engine should be done in three months or more... and the home stretch I will spend on other things like LSD, Triple plate clutch, new nolathane bushes all around, 16" rims, suspension, paint and interior.

I am starting to lean towards making this a track car until I get my licence back. That way it won't be sitting in my driveway with plates ready to drive with a turbo and me with no licence.

I still got another month of car repayments left... so the cheaper, more labour intensive stuff will happen straight away, like installation of the megasquirt, then I can get down to the good stuff like the head swap... then turbo.

Yeah Ill probably get myself a m20B25 engine and turbo that(since mines only M20B20 at the mo :( )

Im keen on keeping the engine from the BMW stable if possible, and its a pretty simple affair to do the m20b25 upgrade.

The 327i turbo conversion has been the best dollar value conversion I think. There is little messing around if I do get defected, compared to dropping a 1jz or RB25/30 or something into it... and since I got my first bimmer, it's bimmer fever, engines and all. Even with 300hp~ with the vehicle stripped down, it should be knocking on the 1000kg weight. Now power to weight that is alot of fun.

I think I'm addicted. The E39 750iL is going to be my next car. At the end of the year I would have done this car up cash, and credit comes for my 7 series V12.. can get them for like $25/30k in Australia everywhere.

I gotta clean up my dads place a bit first before I get another car in there... so the project may go a little slow over the next couple weeks, but I might see what bank finances I can pull together. Im not in a rush.

A slightly lower CR will be better with running a turbo than a high compression engine as it means you can run higher boost levels. Depends on how much boost you want to be running tho. If you want heaps look to lower it to about 7-7.5.

A slightly lower CR will be better with running a turbo than a high compression engine as it means you can run higher boost levels. Depends on how much boost you want to be running tho. If you want heaps look to lower it to about 7-7.5.

keep in mind the aim is to create torque, not necessarily boost. Lowering the CR too much will mean the engine will only make power on boost. not such a good thing for a daily driver

keep in mind the aim is to create torque, not necessarily boost. Lowering the CR too much will mean the engine will only make power on boost. not such a good thing for a daily driver

Both of that definately taken into consideration already. I think the figure was somewhere around 8.3:1 for the B25 head on the B27 block. That will suffice for now. No idea of what boost it will cop but around 14psi or so will make me a very happy man till the bottom end gets old.

I got a magnaflow muffler for free yesterday. Also managed to get some paper stacks too, so the turbo conversion is going to be in full force soon.

Us beema boys, that's how we roll... rubberband banks!

post-2766-1205296780_thumb.jpg

post-2766-1205296795_thumb.jpg

Heh... nearly two weeks later I got now...

Garret T03 turbo with 7psi internal gate (Thankyou R33 skyline :))

All my Intercooler piping - going to run 2.5" the whole way.

3" Stainless mandrel bent dump while will run to the 3" hi-flow cat, which will run to a split 3" system out the rear.

I will be running a cat and no mufflers at the start, then I might upgrade to mufflers later!

Now just to make my mind up on the Megasquirt or Link ECU. I'd rather the Megasquirt and get a base tune then copy someone's setup and go from there, but the Link is good if I get in trouble and need someone to tune it for me.

I don't think it's that hard to learn. I downloaded the LinkPlus software, and it seems pretty easy and good to work with, and the aftermarket support of the Megasquirt seems great. And it's half the price. Also if I solder it together I know what components go where so its easy to replace parts if need be.

Pics will come tomorrow, got to go to work!

post-2766-1206340396_thumb.png

Edited by Justlikemusic

Awesome dude its staring to really come along! sell that fake Rolex and you will have more money haha just jokin.

I love m20 turbos! not that ive seen one in person but they look awesome on youtube

It's a Citizen! Cheapest nice gold watch u can get, lol :D

Yea Youtube is what made me turbo it. Honestly.

340hp in an e30 must really boogie... I am half happy thrashing the eta stock! I can launch from lights pretty good and slap second screetch the back wheels and that gets me off a little :/

However Silvias beat me by a little bit, hardly anything in it until third gear when they just start pulling away until I get into power range on third in the eta. Me running 7psi would mince them though.

I am looking at these Motronic editors at the moment... and it seems like I can do the same thing with a Motronic editor... perhaps It might pay to not worry about the Megasquirt just yet.

I downloaded this:

http://www.atlantisconsultingllc.com/atlan...tronic%20Editor

And just read this:

http://home.comcast.net/~russelc/dme/dmetune.htm

Now I'm not sure what a eprom burner is worth, but I previously worked at Altronics, and have connections within the industry, so surely it can't be that expensive?

I just spoke with someone who has a E34 325i with a broken timing belt. Apparently just one of the valves is broken... I am probably a fool for considering it, but I can get it for like $1000. I don't want the body, but probably could sell it for $200 to scrap metal once I was done stripping it. I like my E30 more than E34's. Power to weight ftw. He wanted to sell it complete, but I wonder if I should ask him if I could remove the head bolts to look underneath?

What are the likeliness of one valve messing up the head and cracking it? I have seen some cars break belts and be ok like the old Fiats etc lol... although I know most cars that = death.

I just spoke with someone who has a E34 325i with a broken timing belt. Apparently just one of the valves is broken... I am probably a fool for considering it, but I can get it for like $1000. I don't want the body, but probably could sell it for $200 to scrap metal once I was done stripping it. I like my E30 more than E34's. Power to weight ftw. He wanted to sell it complete, but I wonder if I should ask him if I could remove the head bolts to look underneath?

What are the likeliness of one valve messing up the head and cracking it? I have seen some cars break belts and be ok like the old Fiats etc lol... although I know most cars that = death.

Just take the rocker cover off and see how many rocker arms are broken and check the camshaft pedestal's for cracks around where the headbolts are.....where the rocker shafts mount. If you bring the engine up onto top dead centre, then back off 30-40 degrees you can turn the cam and check valve clearances. If you have huge clearances, that valve is bent. If the valve is actually broken, the head is most likely knackered.

Update! Ok Car is now off the road... full swing baby.

I removed the air cond compressor and bracket... also took the exhaust off and flipped it upside down to see what it would be like. I am going to be running into a tight fit if I use an adapter when it comes to running this 3" internal wastegate stainless dump pipe I have here.

Now comes the decision about exhaust manifold. The ebay ones and others seem like they mount the turbo right up near the radiator... whereas with the manifold flipped, I can easily weld a T3 flange onto those two pipes and mount the turbo exactly where I want it, up closer towards the front of the shock tower. The radiator overflow will probably be remade, or at least definately relocated. The coil I have a MSD Blaster coil which I will fit there.

I have decided to tune to the Motronic also. So I wll get an EPROM Programmer later this week. That should arrive next week, and by that time I should have most of the boost bolted up with the stock head read for a start. Until I find an 'i' head I will be boosting stock engine at 7psi. The engine doesn't rev over 4500rpm anyway, so with the right engine management and careful attention it should be fine for a bit of weekend fun.

post-2766-1206794539_thumb.jpg

post-2766-1206794551_thumb.jpg

post-2766-1206794562_thumb.jpg

nice cheap turbo project dude. personaly id make my own steampipe mainifold so u can set it up 2 sit the turbo where ya want it. an id think would flow better that the log factory manifold.

flipping m20 manifold is not recommended.

this is because mounting holes are not centered around the exhaust port. so basically if you flip it you end up manifold blocking some port area.... maybe that could be fixe with some handy die grinder work.... but welinging cast manifold is a no-no... it will crack... if not during welding then during operation....