Sign in to follow this  
tcbaurpower

E30 325i M30

Hello,

I have one tired engine in the e30 so I have decided to replace it with the M30 from a 1987 525i e28. I know it would great to put a 3.5L in but i have this engine and it has only done 66,000 miles. I am in the planning stage so any hic ups others have had that i should watch out for would be great.

Cheers,

Adam

Edited by tcbaurpower

Hello,

I have one tired engine in the e30 so I have decided to replace it with the M30 from a 1987 525i e28. I know it would great to put a 3.5L in but i have this engine and it has only done 66,000 miles. I have a couple of questions as i am in the planning stage.

Firstly will the engine mounts that Glen is using work for me?

Secondly i am going to remove the engine soon and clean it up what paint do you use on an engine block?

Cheers,

Adam

If its a 525 E28 it doesnt have an M30 engine. It will be a M20 engine. All E28's had M20's except the 528I & 535I

Clarify what you have and I might be able to steer you in the right direction

Cheers

Glenn

Edited by botanymotorworx

If its a 525 E28 it doesnt have an M30 engine. It will be a M20 engine. All E28's had M20's except the 528I & 535I

Clarify what you have and I might be able to steer you in the right direction

Cheers

Glenn

Are you sure? This maybe wrong but just wondered.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_E28

Are you sure? This maybe wrong but just wondered.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_E28

Crickey ....I've never seen one

Not listed in the BMW Identification list I have here supplied by BMW NZ

Only what I said in previuos thread + the M5 S38 which was the first of the M5 series

The "big block" M30 was 2.8, 3.3 & 3.5 as far as I knew all the rest were M20 and Ive seen a SA 518I M10 version

Edited by botanymotorworx

Crickey ....I've never seen one

Not listed in the BMW Identification list I have here supplied by BMW NZ

Only what I said in previuos thread + the M5 S38 which was the first of the M5 series

The "big block" M30 was 2.8, 3.3 & 3.5 as far as I knew all the rest were M20 and Ive seen a SA 518I M10 version

After 87' there m20's

This is an 88 525

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...16/k-363626.htm

That one in the picture is an M20

Yea, its an 88 i think 88+ were m20's

Yea, its an 88 i think 88+ were m20's

1982 on were all M20 2.0 2.5 & 2.7 in the 528I(usa) only

2.8 & 3.5 versions were M30 engines

M5 was twin cam S38

Go have another look at "wiki"

1982 on were all M20 2.0 2.5 & 2.7 in the 528I(usa) only

2.8 & 3.5 versions were M30 engines

M5 was twin cam S38

Go have another look at "wiki"

Will the one in discussion be a US model tho? Thought it would be Euro spec?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_M30

Edited by jeddy

yes e28 525i is a M30 e28 525e is M20 .

have pulled apart a few 525i models .

used to be heaps driving around . just dont see many now .

Agree, I have an 87 E28 M30 525i at home now.

I stand corrected.....never seen one....never worked on one either :(

Its not listed in my vehicle ID (BMW NZ) either and my version of ETK doesnt go back that far

Getting back on topic though, we need to know exactly what Adams got. Big block M30 chain drive 2.5 or M20 cambelt 2.5. If its an M20 the jobs easier than the M30. If it is the M30 hes got a sh*t load of modifying to do. I know this because thats what I'm doing on the E30 335cc Project

Cheers

Glenn

I stand corrected.....never seen one....never worked on one either :(

Its not listed in my vehicle ID (BMW NZ) either and my version of ETK doesnt go back that far

Getting back on topic though, we need to know exactly what Adams got. Big block M30 chain drive 2.5 or M20 cambelt 2.5. If its an M20 the jobs easier than the M30. If it is the M30 hes got a sh*t load of modifying to do. I know this because thats what I'm doing on the E30 335cc Project

Cheers

Glenn

Hello,

Wow what a response, must be a bit rare if you have not worked on one. Yes it is the big block M30 I know this from asking about a sump pan a while back. So yes I would like to start finding the other parts that I will need and/or modify. Can I use everything already in the engine bay and just swap them over to the e30? Because when I read your parts list Glen you get parts from a lot of models.

Cheers

Adam

Edited by tcbaurpower

i have nice e34 535i m30 engine easier to fit has teh right sump for starters

Before you start this project Adam, these are some of the things you must research & consider.

First research it and see what others have done before (I like to be different)

Auto is harder because the bell housings are bigger....reduces all clearances

Clearances are the major factor

Using stock motors the issues are: bell housing, brake booster, cross member, steering rack, radiator, airflow meter and distributor cap clearances

You will need to make up engine mounts

Modify driveshaft and gearchange

Change diff ratio

Modify cooling system.. no viscous fan ( no room )

Use E28 radiator- modify for mounts

I'm doing this:

635 10:1 comp ratio motor

E28 lightened flywheel

E34 getrag 5 speed

LSD .. probably a 3.64:1

E34 M60 V8 hydraulic brake system..works off p/steer pump (130bar) with accumulator & pressure regulator

No distributor.. "Link" G3 ignition only, 60-2 trigger system

Coil over, wasted spark ignition (e36 coils)

I'm going to run carburettors with custom airbox & CAI

Extractor exhaust system (custom)

Custom, encaptured engine mount brackets(my design) with E39 mounts

E30 engine oil cooler with custom lines

Diode switched electric cooling fan (stock) running dual high/low switches 80' low speed 90' high speed

Complete refresh of engine, port & polish, blueprinted intakes, cam, balance

Then theres the suspension and brakes to consider as well. I'm going 5 stud with E36 front struts (coil over)& adjustable top mounts, E30 rear sub frame with E36 318TI flanges & w/bearings. Standard vented E30 rear brakes

with E46 330 front rotors & callipers. All new eurothane front and rear bushes & HD sway bars.

This list might put you off, however thats what you need to consider before you start

Personaly, I wouldnt use the M30 2.5. You would be better off sticking to the M20 2.5 and refresh the motor. It would cost less. Remember the M30 weighs alot more. My project car is an E30 316 therefore my gains are going to be an extra 1900cc with the mods I'm expecting to get the 218hp engine up to around the 250+ mark

So far Ive spent more than 100hrs getting sorted to mock up stage in a deregistered E30 325 shell. Once I'm happy with the mock up it all goes into the 316 for final check. Then out for the engine rebuild and then the final fitting. Then its on to suspension, brakes, mags & tyres,exhaust and over to Gavin @ High Velocity to get dyno'd

Hope this all helps with your decission

Cheers

Glenn

What i suggest is;

buy my 400 odd hp m535 animal,

cut up your car to repair rust issues in mine or transplant all the running gear into your shell.

project finished

hoe taxi ready

Before you start this project Adam, these are some of the things you must research & consider.

First research it and see what others have done before (I like to be different)

Auto is harder because the bell housings are bigger....reduces all clearances

Clearances are the major factor

Using stock motors the issues are: bell housing, brake booster, cross member, steering rack, radiator, airflow meter and distributor cap clearances

You will need to make up engine mounts

Modify driveshaft and gearchange

Change diff ratio

Modify cooling system.. no viscous fan ( no room )

Use E28 radiator- modify for mounts

I'm doing this:

635 10:1 comp ratio motor

E28 lightened flywheel

E34 getrag 5 speed

LSD .. probably a 3.64:1

E34 M60 V8 hydraulic brake system..works off p/steer pump (130bar) with accumulator & pressure regulator

No distributor.. "Link" G3 ignition only, 60-2 trigger system

Coil over, wasted spark ignition (e36 coils)

I'm going to run carburettors with custom airbox & CAI

Extractor exhaust system (custom)

Custom, encaptured engine mount brackets(my design) with E39 mounts

E30 engine oil cooler with custom lines

Diode switched electric cooling fan (stock) running dual high/low switches 80' low speed 90' high speed

Complete refresh of engine, port & polish, blueprinted intakes, cam, balance

Then theres the suspension and brakes to consider as well. I'm going 5 stud with E36 front struts (coil over)& adjustable top mounts, E30 rear sub frame with E36 318TI flanges & w/bearings. Standard vented E30 rear brakes

with E46 330 front rotors & callipers. All new eurothane front and rear bushes & HD sway bars.

This list might put you off, however thats what you need to consider before you start

Personaly, I wouldnt use the M30 2.5. You would be better off sticking to the M20 2.5 and refresh the motor. It would cost less. Remember the M30 weighs alot more. My project car is an E30 316 therefore my gains are going to be an extra 1900cc with the mods I'm expecting to get the 218hp engine up to around the 250+ mark

So far Ive spent more than 100hrs getting sorted to mock up stage in a deregistered E30 325 shell. Once I'm happy with the mock up it all goes into the 316 for final check. Then out for the engine rebuild and then the final fitting. Then its on to suspension, brakes, mags & tyres,exhaust and over to Gavin @ High Velocity to get dyno'd

Hope this all helps with your decission

Cheers

Glenn

Thanks a lot. :D

I have a start to research from now. :rolleyes: I will post my findings later.

Cheers Glen.

What i suggest is;

buy my 400 odd hp m535 animal,

cut up your car to repair rust issues in mine or transplant all the running gear into your shell.

project finished

hoe taxi ready

Hello,

Mmm tempting dare i ask how much? ;)

Cheers