Sign in to follow this  
bmw.maniac

If only I lived in South Africa.

That looks awsome, never heard of a 333i, were they brought out as a peformance model such as the M3 or a mass produced vehicle?

The BMW 333i was developed by BMW South Africa, BMW Motorsport & Alpina, and was produced between 1985 & 1987. It was created to compete with the Mercedes 190E 2.3-16, and although BMW Germany was developing the M3, BMW SA chose the more traditional six cylinder route to produce its own potent 3-series.

The selected engine came from the 733i, which was chosen due to its free-revving character, and in many ways the 333i is considered to be a smaller version of BMW SA’s 745i, which was powered by the engine from the BMW M1. The design specification was intended to be similar in concept to the Alpina B6, and many Alpina parts were used.

Only 204 examples were made, with most of these being entered for Motorsport competition in South Africa. One vehicle was exported to BMW UK, with another 3 or 4 imported into the UK privately. The car was available in 4 colours; Charcoal Black, Henna Red, Ice White and as this vehicle, Aero Silver.

they also did HQ holdens with 12a rotary engines.

I saw one in aus 5 or so years ago,it was a minter but disturbing none the less

I saw one in aus 5 or so years ago,it was a minter but disturbing none the less

Anything with a rotary in it is disturbing as soon as it starts up.

Anything with a rotary in it is disturbing as soon as it starts up.

hahahah so true.

This would be a cool car to have.

my old man had one of these back in SA went really good, but handled like a tank. also pretty much every e30 i remember there had an mtech kit and manual from factory, even a majority of later model bmws where manual

Edited by togate

South Africans didnt to my knowledge......

The SA Chevrolets did consist of some cosmetically altered Aussie Holdens but it was GM marketing GM cars.

The Roadpacer was a HZ Premier fitted with a 13B and slushbox, and was done as a deal probably to give GM some access to Rotary technology, to sort out the issues with their Monza/Corvette Prototypes. Mazda needed a big car to meet some corporate contracts.

Edited by rxsumo

here is the car up for auction ...

Mazda Roadpacer RP130

turners

Posted Image

Posted Image

And Hillman Hunters with Peugeot diesels in them

And Capri's with 302 windsors, MkII cortinas with 3l capri engines (essex?)......

The range of "bits" that the European manufacturers ( Alfa BMW and others) would ship to South Africa during the "apartheid" era was limited. So they "invented" their own "premium" models the 333 was one of these.

They got the biggest engine they could and shoe-horned it into the E30 to produce a car that went like stink in a straight line but handled like a pissed pig.

The primary reason so few were made was - they were "pigs"

The 3 litre south african Alfa GTV is a "don't touch"

Once the respective factories came under the control of the Eupean parents post Apartheid the products came up to European standards

If you actually had a clue what you were talking about, it would be a miracle!! You simply spew forth in the hope that more stupid mortals than yourself will actually believe the absolute crap you always seem to post in abundance.

It is actually sad that people still tolerate you, or maybe they just feel sorry for you..

The range of "bits" that the European manufacturers ( Alfa BMW and others) would ship to South Africa during the "apartheid" era was limited. So they "invented" their own "premium" models the 333 was one of these.

They got the biggest engine they could and shoe-horned it into the E30 to produce a car that went like stink in a straight line but handled like a pissed pig.

The primary reason so few were made was - they were "pigs"

The 3 litre south african Alfa GTV is a "don't touch"

Once the respective factories came under the control of the Eupean parents post Apartheid the products came up to European standards

Then why are most e30s that come out of South Africa (that were built under Apartheid) almost always fully spec'd out with everything: leather, sunroof, trip computer etc?