Sign in to follow this  
shixtr

Interior light

Hi all,

Im currently driving a 2001 E46 318i and the interior light normally turns on after I shut the engine off. However, just yesterday, it does not turn on after shutting down the engine, but opening the doors turn them on just fine.

Is there something that can be done to turn it back on or just a faulty connection?

Thanks heaps

Hi all,

Im currently driving a 2001 E46 318i and the interior light normally turns on after I shut the engine off. However, just yesterday, it does not turn on after shutting down the engine, but opening the doors turn them on just fine.

Is there something that can be done to turn it back on or just a faulty connection?

Thanks heaps

Check your fuses. Thats the 1st thing i would do, otherwise im sure someone here is much more wiser than me, and can suggest something helpful.

on my e34,the interior lights come on as soon as you turn the key off only if you have had the lights on...??

Hi all,

If the light works it cannot be a faulty connection

Everything is controlled by datamessages sent over the databus, even switching on the interior light.

So if the light works - which it does - the light wiring is OK.

In that case, 90% of the time your observation will be an Operator Error.

Read The Friendly Manual

ie: lights on, key off = interior light on!

Or: dark garage, light sensor says it is night, then light comes on

etc

Edited by jochen

If the light works it cannot be a faulty connection

Everything is controlled by datamessages sent over the databus, even switching on the interior light.

So if the light works - which it does - the light wiring is OK.

In that case, 90% of the time your observation will be an Operator Error.

Read The Friendly Manual

ie: lights on, ley off = interior light on!

Or: dark garage, light sensor says it is night, then light comes on

etc

Hey Jochen, looks like you are right, because last night the interior lights turned on when I removed the key. And when I was driving to work this morning, it didnt work. So I guess it will only work as you mentioned, i.e if my headlamps were on or in a dark garage. Take note that I have to slowly know these stuff cos the car that I got off from a yard, didnt have the original manual. Thanks heaps

Hey Jochen, looks like you are right, because last night the interior lights turned on when I removed the key. And when I was driving to work this morning, it didnt work. So I guess it will only work as you mentioned, i.e if my headlamps were on or in a dark garage. Take note that I have to slowly know these stuff cos the car that I got off from a yard, didnt have the original manual. Thanks heaps

For around $40 NZD you can buy a brand new manual, exactly right for your version of car, from BMW

You car is loaded with technology and the manual is essential to understand how the car works.

Well worth the investment.

Edited by jochen