Sign in to follow this  
Jeddy

Central Locking Problem

My cars a e30 87 coupe with a Uniden alarm

What happens is when i press the button to unlock the doors, sometimes the alarm disables but the doors wont unlock. I then have to use the key, jump in and proceed to push the drivers lock up and down till it catches and starts working again.

I took it to a place to get fixed and they couldn't find anything wrong with it or know what it could be.

Has anyone had a similar problem before or any suggestions on what the problem could be?

Hey,

I recently installed an alarm into the 325, at first I tried arming/disarming and the locks wouldnt work at all, I thought "oh no ive stuffed the locks"

But then I put the key in the boot (only lock cylinder that works) and locked/unlocked it a few times, then tried the alarm again, and it worked.

Ive not ever put the key in the lock again now.

So, It could be something to do with the initial position of the locks, you might have to play around a bit to try get it working as it should.

Hope that helps, but youve said that it just happens randomly sometimes, so Im not sure sorry...

Edited by Ven

My cars a e30 87 coupe with a Uniden alarm

What happens is when i press the button to unlock the doors, sometimes the alarm disables but the doors wont unlock. I then have to use the key, jump in and proceed to push the drivers lock up and down till it catches and starts working again.

I took it to a place to get fixed and they couldn't find anything wrong with it or know what it could be.

Has anyone had a similar problem before or any suggestions on what the problem could be?

Uniden alarms :o IMO. Depending on alarm model - the locking side can play up, probably best to take it to someone that knows what they are doing - an auto sparky or decent alarm installer - you may chase your tail otherwise.

Do you say that the alarm doesn't always turn off too? - you say "sometimes disables". If so - sounds like alarm fault

Hey,

I recently installed an alarm into the 325, at first I tried arming/disarming and the locks wouldnt work at all, I thought "oh no ive stuffed the locks"

But then I put the key in the boot (only lock cylinder that works) and locked/unlocked it a few times, then tried the alarm again, and it worked.

Ive not ever put the key in the lock again now.

So, It could be something to do with the initial position of the locks, you might have to play around a bit to try get it working as it should.

Hope that helps, but youve said that it just happens randomly sometimes, so Im not sure sorry...

I worked fine for over a year(the locks/alarm). Don't think its the alarm either.

The locks work intimitantly like will be fine for a week then bang they're not working anymore.

Thanks for ya help tho. might go stick the key in all the locks and see what happens

Uniden alarms :o IMO. Depending on alarm model - the locking side can play up, probably best to take it to someone that knows what they are doing - an auto sparky or decent alarm installer - you may chase your tail otherwise.

Do you say that the alarm doesn't always turn off too? - you say "sometimes disables". If so - sounds like alarm fault

The auto installer checked the alarm today and said it was fine. It disables(alarm on/off)fine. But when you push the button to unlock the door they stay locked but disable alarm. Could be central locking motor i'm thinking

common problems with E30 central locking.

the plug between the front doors and a-pillar can get water in them - unplug both front doors and clean the connections with appropriate electrical spray to remove any corrosion etc.

E30's are old cars - solenoids do fail - if the drivers solenoid fails - the system won't work from your alarm.

it's rare for the central locking module to have a problem but if you need to check it - you can find it under the speaker in the drivers foot well.

if you need any central locking solenoids - pm me

common problems with E30 central locking.

the plug between the front doors and a-pillar can get water in them - unplug both front doors and clean the connections with appropriate electrical spray to remove any corrosion etc.

E30's are old cars - solenoids do fail - if the drivers solenoid fails - the system won't work from your alarm.

it's rare for the central locking module to have a problem but if you need to check it - you can find it under the speaker in the drivers foot well.

if you need any central locking solenoids - pm me

Apparently my eyesights not so good at night ;) but i'll check it out tomorrow

When installing a uniden alarm into an e30 you need to use two relays to reverse the signal to the central locking solenoid to make them work. ( also called an interface if supplied by uniden)

The common problems are ..

1) the solenoid on the driver door is out of adjustment..

2) the driver door soleniod is dead

3) No relays or interface installed in the alarm ( was alarm a home jobby? )

If the unit behind the kick panel is faulty then you will have problems with the central locking from where ever you try the key, Boot etc.

If the alarm worked in the past its probably just a faulty solenoid or out of alignment.

1) the solenoid on the driver door is out of adjustment..

2) the driver door soleniod is dead

3) No relays or interface installed in the alarm ( was alarm a home jobby? )

If the alarm worked in the past its probably just a faulty solenoid or out of alignment.

No alarm was professionally installed and worked fine for about 12 months

talked to someone who knew what they were talking about. Listened to the motor a couple of times and said either its buggered or the wiring needs re-doing. Will get them to check it out and hopefully have it sorted soon. Thanks for your help guys, pointed me straight in the right direction.

Sorry to bring up my old thread but need some help urgently.

So my central lockings playing up and its meant i can't open my petrol flap to fill it up.

Is there a way to manually open it without fixing the central locking first?

Reason is all this while all this was happening my reserve light came on and i'm not sure if i'll make to the auto sparky/wreckers to fix it.

Sorry to bring up my old thread but need some help urgently.

So my central lockings playing up and its meant i can't open my petrol flap to fill it up.

Is there a way to manually open it without fixing the central locking first?

Reason is all this while all this was happening my reserve light came on and i'm not sure if i'll make to the auto sparky/wreckers to fix it.

Remove the right hand side boot lining, then unbolt the central lock motor from the fuel filler flap.