Sign in to follow this  
chrisvlok

e30 325i turbo- what needs to be done?

how much would it cost to replace the rings? also, how much did it cost to get the engines swithched over?

how much would it cost to replace the rings? also, how much did it cost to get the engines swithched over?

Who are you asking?

i was asking m 325i

i found this last night. will this be the right thing to put with my ecu to turbo my car?

http://www.jaycar.co.nz/productView.asp?ID...mp;SUBCATID=347

tell me what you think guys

from what i see on the info.it only does fuel.no spark control.so your halfway there.advance by a second/degree or 2 and good by engine.awesome. one expensive firework display.

right infront of you,probably happen when nailing it for the first time,showing off to all your mates etc.

i was asking m 325i

i found this last night. will this be the right thing to put with my ecu to turbo my car?

http://www.jaycar.co.nz/productView.asp?ID...mp;SUBCATID=347

tell me what you think guys

If your going to go down the turbo route do a good job first time and you'll save $$$ in the long run

Do what people who know what their talking about and get m/s, link etc

Also do some research so you understand and know what people are telling you.

I don't think there's many, if any people with m20 turbos on here, but many will have read alot about and know their stuff.

Whatever you endeavor to do good luck with it

I'm in process of building one right now....

http://www.e30tech.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55733

It is all doable for 3G if you are carefull and if you know what you are doing... Problem in NZ is that some parts are hard to find, and that means if you fin them they are expensive. And then sill require a rebuild.

Ideal (once you have 325i) is to find 525e bottom end in good condition and just swap bottom ends (you want 'e' bottom end with 'i' head). They are rare here in NZ. I went through 3 until i found one in usable condition (sill required full rebuild). Maybe better solution is to buy 525e and part it out, keeping block for yourself... and making money on the part out to offset build cost. from there it will depend on how much you can do yourself... worst thing is that all those old high milage parts... people who sell it say, oh yeah, "it's sweet ass mate, work working great when i pulled it out, i was changing oil every 5k", etc, etc, etc... or that clutch pack LSD with 100k kilometers on it is 'sweet ass mate' and machining is expensive.... basically if you get into welding/machining costs go up very quickly....

from there:

manifold ($60-1000+)

turbo($100-2000)

exhaust($200-1500)

wastegate($80-120)

megasquirt($400)

wideband($150-250)

large injectors($20-1200)

larger or additional fuel pump($20-500)

charge piping ($40-1000)

BOV ($80-500)

EMS tuning ($0-$$$)

as you see alot of options there...

That Jaycar thing is kinda BS. It requires hand controller (sold separately) and quite possibly other 'addons' (all sold separately). And how many people recommend it ? AFAIK it's big unknown. MS is cheapest and fully capable. I wouldnt try without a wideband. some people do... good tune is essential for optimim performance, reliability an fuel economy. Good cheap DIY wideband is JEW. I got my LC-1 becasue i didnt know about JEW but next time I'll just get JEW. Aparently there's some company in NZ that makes/sells wideband with egt and digital display with under NZ$500..

Edited by mops

cheers mops for laying out the carpet,regarding costs of whats involved.

could we make this a sticky? cause i'm sick of reading dumb questions about 'how much corner cutting can i

do and still make s**t loads for power,and be reailable?'

that would make my day

dude,get a second job,or ask aunty helen for some more money to do this job properly.

that. or post pics of what can happen when it goes pear-shape,so we can all know what happens

when we cut corners.

youtube is a great place to post details too.

marty out

does anyone know how to get the forum back to normal? its showing the first post and the a list of al the other ones

oh also, my 325 as a oil cooler, can i use this as the oil input and return for my turbo?

oh also, my 325 as a oil cooler, can i use this as the oil input and return for my turbo?

no you cant, but there are at least two good places for that.

read e30 turbo faq on e30tech.com forums

Hi Guys

ive being doing abit of research for my e28 project and there are alot of options out there.

all i can say is find someone that can fabricate the manifolds etc for you as a perky and someone who will get you trade price parts with abit on top for them, we can dream cant we lolz

its all about engine really, depending on what you are going to use depends on what can be done ive seen lots of posts about m20 turbo's not many on m30's tho but over all by what i noticed

Stand alone ECU is the way to go and the turbo etc is really upto your budget constraints, ive done quotes from 5k-15k for a turbo setup on my m30 engine depending on what you get done.

any one that has a old skool bmw turbo'd without a new engine i give them cred and anyone really that works on bmw's give them cred

like my current engine who knows whats up with it just stoped given me power but hay its my project itl get built in time, the train and bus is fine with me at the mo

yea ok cool. yeh ive been reading up on there quite abit but wasn't sure, how come you cant just do that?

yea ok cool. yeh ive been reading up on there quite abit but wasn't sure, how come you cant just do that?

I'm not 100% on this but I wouldn't be using it as you'll definately want the oil cooler on a boosted 325i, they're known to cook at the best of times, let alone when they're making 250rwhp. And I wouldn't run it inline with the turbo as I'm assuming the pressure/flow demands will be completely different, ie the amount of oil needed by the turbo would be nothing compared to whats flowing through the cooler.

Mikes correct,

you need the oil cooler and be kept seperate from turbo use.

at good revs,the oil pumps pushing 40-60 psi oil pressure.

when the oil is at temp,it starts flowing through the cooler.

50 psi and a half inch hose bolted on the 4mm oil intake fitting on the turbo leads to blown seals.

a simple 4mm braided line .drill and thread a hole into the filter housing is the way to go.that or as i've done,

tee off the oil pressure switch at the back off the head.plenty of oil.

one more thing,what turbo are you using? thrust bearing type,use 4-5mm oil line,roller bearing 2-3

even easier-buy my complete lump and be done with it.one weekend and its in

Edited by topcat

ohk, yea im having second thaughts atm which is a shame. have been lured into a friends forrester which is already turbo so bussy decideing what to go trough with

hey dude speaking from expeirence of walking down this path before. dont do wat i did an have second thoughts and sell up. i found someone that could get me a basic setup made here in tauranga. they were after a min of 7k to do it. which included, specific sized turbo for my motor, piping, stand alone ecu(microtech) exhaust, bov, wastegate running al for 7k. i sold up cos i was impaiticent(sorry for my bad spelling) an wanted the turbo kick now! now ive got myself a nissan 200sx RPs13 running a rb20det(running but not road legal) and im still no closer to having my daily driven turbo car yet. if u realy crazy bout your bimmas like i am dont sell. i will buy myself bmw soon(when my budget allows lol) most likely a prefacelift(realy liking the chrome bumpers an NO ABS! sorry im a drifter an abs aint your friend when u r 1 of those). an bout the turbo setup i would give u the guys number if i knew wat his new 1 is as he has moved. it was Green Brothers(in meleme street int tauranga but i think they have moved 2 the mount somewhere) they are more knowen for tinkering with rotarys but they said they could do it so i guess it is a start. and if ya are a tauranga local do not go 2 speedfactor when it comes 2 bimmas they dont know them! period! they were saying a rb25det wouldnt fit in my old e30(another option i explored) where as the rb30'd e30 by magwhere house proves its doable an there was a guy on the fourms with a 320 with a rb20det in his it look a tight squease the way he did his but it worked. so after al my ranting an raving. my advice is DONT SELL! save up. im sure u will love the result once its complete :D

what do u guys think of this conversion-goggle''willem pretoria noord'' on all original parts except ecu?

It looks pretty good, but I dunno that it's "original parts"

In terms of parts, cheapest turbo setup I see a similar list to mops' list about 15 post ago:

Turbo $500 - could be cheaper 2nd hand, this gets you a Trademe turbo and needs to be wastegated

Oil lines and mods to the oil pan - $200

Intercooler and pipe $300-400

Engine ??? At least you need multilayer head gasket and studs - $500 ex USA

BOV - $50 2nd hand

Wastegate - incorporated into turbo, or else $200

turbo manifold and exhaust - at least $1000, unless you can weld

Bigger injectors $250 (if you're lucky)

Thats +/- $3000, and you haven't bought EFI yet, and really you should get adjustable boost, a couple of gauges, a new clutch/pressure plate, and dyno time, plus labour to install it all if you can't... Easily another $3k (assuming $2500 fitted and tuned for ECU - DIY using MegaSquirt is much much cheaper).

Now scroll up the page to mops' last post and click on his turbo build in his sig. He is doing it right. Read his build and understand why its quite a big undertaking (unless you've already got the skills).

Edited by CamB

It looks pretty good, but I dunno that it's "original parts"

In terms of parts, cheapest turbo setup I see a similar list to mops' list about 15 post ago:

Turbo $500 - could be cheaper 2nd hand, this gets you a Trademe turbo and needs to be wastegated

Oil lines and mods to the oil pan - $200

Intercooler and pipe $300-400

Engine ??? At least you need multilayer head gasket and studs - $500 ex USA

BOV - $50 2nd hand

Wastegate - incorporated into turbo, or else $200

turbo manifold and exhaust - at least $1000, unless you can weld

Bigger injectors $250 (if you're lucky)

Thats +/- $3000, and you haven't bought EFI yet, and really you should get adjustable boost, a couple of gauges, a new clutch/pressure plate, and dyno time, plus labour to install it all if you can't... Easily another $3k (assuming $2500 fitted and tuned for ECU - DIY using MegaSquirt is much much cheaper).

Now scroll up the page to mops' last post and click on his turbo build in his sig. He is doing it right. Read his build and understand why its quite a big undertaking (unless you've already got the skills).

Yes... much bigger undertaking both in terms of man-hours needed and money wise, and how mcuh custom work in necessary.

Stuff in NZ is a bit dearer than in USA.

Some stuff i didnt budgeted is killing me... like... just connecting turbo and engine.... bow ($100 cheapie), sections of alloy pipes ($50 easily), 4 silicone couples (i managed to organize what i need from ebay NZ$200 landed.. buying in supercheap you would ~ $400), tclamps (size you want is approx $10-12 per each, and you need 8 at least)... intercooler... $200), misc bits, nuts/bolts to mount IC, vacum line(s), abother maybe $50.

i stopped adding it all up cos it's destroying all the fun.

On the positive note... my rebuilt engine runs. Right now i'm fitting bigger injectors and converting to wasted spark.

That's further heap of custom work that needs to be done that requires custom machining spacers and welding brackets and stuff... by now i got pretty much complete automotive workshop in my garage, with welders and compressor and i dunno how many $1000's in tools...

... but the next build will be cheaper :)