Sign in to follow this  
chrisvlok

e30 325i turbo- what needs to be done?

hi guys,

i am wanting to turbo my e30 325 aswell. i've found a turbo kit on ebay which im thinking of investing considering its quite cheap.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...RTQ:MOTORS:1123

just wondering thow what else will need to be done in order to get this installed? eg. will i need to get a new ecu or anything?

also , where is a good shop in christchurch that could put it in for me and tune in if neccesery

thanks

chris

"Ships to: United States"

How do you know he/she/they will ship to NZ?

good luck with project btw

Looks like you'll need an aftermarket ECU (as mentioned on the ad..) so something like a link ($3k installed) and you'll need an exhaust fabricated (or downpipe at minimum), as well as some larger injectors/fuel rail/fuel pump if you're looking to run any decent boost.

just wondering thow what else will need to be done in order to get this installed? eg. will i need to get a new ecu or anything?

Theres many threads on here and other e30 sites about doing this, have a search for a few as i imagine you'll find lots more answers.

As for ecu i'd think you'd need a new one or a piggyback system to run it well but i'm no expert.

Edit: Sorry someone already mentioned this

Edited by jeddy

You'll also probably need a metal headgasket, and you'd also have to find out whether this kit will fit a RHD car!!

Then you'd need to look at brake and suspension upgrades to match the new performance and by then you'd be looking at around the 10k mark, and even then you'd only be able to run 9-10psi on the factory internals.

Thought about swapping to an S50 and leaving it N/A? would work out as more reliable, probably more powerful and chances are it'd work out to be a similar price... also if you wanted to go turbo further down the track you'd have a far better base to make some big power (look at Hybrids E30 + S50 Turbo build)

Edited by Jacobfie

ok thanks guys. so why would you really need a ecu? what does it actualy do? could my bimmer run a turbo at low boost if its just all original? thanks

ok thanks guys. so why would you really need a ecu? what does it actualy do? could my bimmer run a turbo at low boost if its just all original? thanks

Is the 'brain' of the car. It controls almost everything. i.e. fuel rate, air into the engine etc. The current one isn't programmed for boost and thats what you'd need to run a good turbo. You could get your stock one re-mapped but its still going to around a 10k job Edited by jeddy

i searched the net for bmw e30 ecu and i found alot of performance chips for sale. would a performance chip do the job or.....?

i searched the net for bmw e30 ecu and i found alot of performance chips for sale. would a performance chip do the job or.....?

What year is your car?

The factory ECU will cry foul as soon as you start putting positive pressure through the intake, there's only so much it can increase the fuel flow and if you push the boost beyond the allowances of the factory ECU (anyone know exactly? i imagine its not more than a couple of psi) it will either cut out, or the engine will go boom as it runs lean.

What year is your car?

its a 1989 all original engine except cold air intake. would'nt a chip just remap the ecu?

The factory ECU will cry foul as soon as you start putting positive pressure through the intake, there's only so much it can increase the fuel flow and if you push the boost beyond the allowances of the factory ECU (anyone know exactly? i imagine its not more than a couple of psi) it will either cut out, or the engine will go boom as it runs lean.

haha ok. i dont really want that then. what about just upgrading the fuel pump and injectors?

its a 1989 all original engine except cold air intake. would'nt a chip just remap the ecu?

Yes it remaps it but not 100% sure but think you'd need one tuned to your specific car and an el cheapo off the net won't cut it.

By replacing the factory ecu i think you can remove the afm and replace if with something i can't remember the name of. Any way this means more air into the engine.

Any way point is if you want to do a good job you need to replace the ecu.

haha ok. i dont really want that then. what about just upgrading the fuel pump and injectors?

Unless you do something to the air intake side i imagine its going to run rich. Best way to combat this again replace or remap the ecu.

ok. will look into it. thanks guys really helping.

will keep you posted on the project

You really need to do some research a. check out e30tech.com, those guys know there stuff when it comes to turbo m20's.

you could get away with a stock ECU by using a rising rate fuel pressure regulator (gives you more fuel when theres more 'boost'), but you will only be able to get 7psi max. BUT i don't want to put ideas in your head. Turbocharging a car is a very tricky process, and this doesnt simplify it anymore. Your best bet is would be a stand alone ECU, like MegaSquirt (easily the cheapest, but very 'involved' installation).

Turbocharging a car is not a simple process (to put it blunt)

Edited by antony

ok. will look into it. thanks guys really helping.

will keep you posted on the project

yes keep us posted on your progress.

OR buy my 3.5L turbo block etc and fit it into your car.(400+hp)

that and some clean undies.

One option is to keep stock ecu etc, remove barn door AFM and piggy back MapEcu 2. This will give you full control over fuel & timing, otherwise complete full new ecu setup required.

www.mapecu.com support kiwi ingenuity!

Everything costs big money when you start mods etc.

You really need to do some research a. check out e30tech.com, those guys know there stuff when it comes to turbo m20's.

you could get away with a stock ECU by using a rising rate fuel pressure regulator (gives you more fuel when theres more 'boost'). BUT i don't want to put ideas in your head. Turbocharging a car is a very tricky process, and this doesnt simplify it anymore. Your best bet is would be a stand alone ECU, like MegaSquirt (easily the cheapest, but very 'involved' installation).

Turbocharging a car is not a simple process (to put it blunt)

ok, so what megasquirt system is best suitted? their website is real confusing. especialy when i dont really know what i need haha.

thanks

remember the key when it comes to turboing an M20 (or turboing in general) that I have seen many times

Reliability

Power

Low Cost

Pick two, a powerful reliable M20 turbo build is not cheap.

speaking from experience,man i sound old

whats your budget?

hp goal?

how involved do you want to be?

have you talked to someone who has experience?

Do the sums.it sounds easy on paper until....

got my purpose built engine for sale.

call if you are interested in it or general info.

the more research,the lesser the tears

I think this would be the cheapest option to be honest, its a solid build thats making good power (real impressed by the way topcat! looks incredible!)

speaking from experience,man i sound old

whats your budget?

hp goal?

how involved do you want to be?

have you talked to someone who has experience?

Do the sums.it sounds easy on paper until....

the more research,the lesser the tears

my budget is at max 3g. hp goal is anythinng decent thats cheap, real involved and no havn't but am now.

haha thanks

Unless you do all the fabrication and installation yourself, 3g is impossible. (even then your pushing it!).

my budget is at max 3g. hp goal is anythinng decent thats cheap, real involved and no havn't but am now.

haha thanks

I think 3g would almost get you that turbo kit over here and halfway installed, but you'd still be a long way from a reliable (even complete) turbo build.

Jump over to www.e30tech.com and research the M20 turbo builds on their forums and you'll get a decent idea about whats involved.