Sign in to follow this  
elmarco

E46 Stereo on ebay

Look at the search history. Selling prices vary from around $75 to $500 depending on model and source.

Reverse RDS = noone wants them (in NZ or Germany!) They make a good choice for a car dealer or if you are selling your E46 and want a working radio in the hole.

Business RDS Cassette = good cheap choice if an existing CD changer is fitted in the boot

Business RDS CD = good choice for yourself if you have no CD changer and don't play tapes

Professional RDS = best choice if you want the best of the best and are prepared to treat yourself to the highest-performing radio that BMW offered at the time.

My current one is a Business cassette (NZ frequency), so I guess it is worth firing onto trademe once the new one is installed. Not sure if there is money to be made importing them off ebay though!

I would have introduced Mr Band Expander to Senor 20lb Sledge, but I guess the rear wheel treatment would also give that feeling of satisfaction! Sounds like you have done this before Jochen? :P

Elmarco,

just had a check on a website for how to change the radio.

Pretty simple. Take the dash lining out of the passenger side, using a screwdriver with tape over the blade to avoid scratching the panel.

Then remove the panel around the stereo.

Then remove the two bolts/ screws holding the radio in place. Pull out old radio and plug in new one and put everything back together (the panels just snap back into place).

Easy enough.

Victory!!

Easy enough is right - took me 15 minutes (being careful). ;)

The fascia panels are not plastic as I thought - they have a die cast aluminium backing making them pretty rigid and simple to get out. The pins are friction only by the look of it and are quite long. Just be sure to protect the soft dash components with something while you are levering it off. No damage to mine, but I can see how easy it would be.....

The main connector needs to be lifted to disengage the pins fully and the cable assembly will fall away when properly disengaged.

Stereo works great (radio, CD, and stacker) and I am one happy camper!

Stereo works great (radio, CD, and stacker) and I am one happy camper!

Easy isn't it?

Is the stereo properly in Europe mode?

Make sure it is not in USA mode...

Easy isn't it?

Is the stereo properly in Europe mode?

Make sure it is not in USA mode...

You bet - I set it to Oceania mode before installing the trim and finishing up. ;)

Rock on!

Hi from Greece, 

My father has an E46 5/2001 (according to VIN) with Reverse Radio Unit. I want to upgrade this unit with a CD53 MP3/AUX capable and I have to questions:

1) Do we know if MP3 capable CD53 Radios are also AUX capable?

2) Because the car is far away, is there a way to check if it is equiped with one or two aerial inputs? According to realoem.com the cars from 3/2001 have NG Radio (one input). However, is any way to confirm it? 

Thank you!