Sign in to follow this  
Mash

19x8.5 stretched tyres

A 215/35/19 will work but the wheel offset will have more to do with guard rub than anything else. Some brands of tyre tend to have a narrower "shoulder" than others so will look more "stretched " than others.

PS: have you got the tyres already? If not let me know and what your budget is - we normally carry at least 20 in stock

Cheers

BEWARE, just a freindly word, i have 215's on my 8.5 rims (Pirellis) and they suck, i'm looking to get some 235's

the trouble is because there stretched they tram line all over the place, change of road surface, white lines or anything different makes them feel twitchy. i admit they look good but considering winters coming i dont trust them.

any one want to swap good tread Pirelli 6000 215/45/17 for 235's

Hey,

Im new to this forum, I own a BMW e36 320i.

Great Car!

Now I just need some information on stretching Tyres.

I have 19x8.5 alloys and was wondering if 215/35/19 would be possible to stretch to fit?

Thanks

Craig

P.S i am very noob at this

Welcome to BimmerSport Craig- post some pics up of your car in the showroom.

Johno (zenetti) should be able to help you out.

Edited by Quailboy

they will be fine to stretch mate. i run 235's on a 8 inch rim and the are flush with the rim. they will look nice imo

Thanks!

Will do once the car is showroom ready.

I had 235s, but to much rubbing on the guards. So would Stretching 215s prevent Rubbing on the guards?

P.s Back Guards

Yes, sadly i have brought them already, but lucky I got one pair just to try out.

The offset is 38, which i got told would be fine.

But yes i got cheap Nasty triangle tyres!

I think they will be fine to go on the front though, as the front has much more clearance in the guard.

But i may be a wrong.

The car is certified at 80 ml.

haha dirty old triangles - probably the noisiest tyre on the market!! Nevermind hope you got them at a great a price.

Just a word of caution though - Be VERY VERY careful in the wet!! Triangle's are not known for the amount of grip they give.

Well yeah 160 per tyre, but now not so happy.

I found some goodyear eagle tyres 225,35,19.

Would they be a better fit?

Thanks

$160 per tyre is an awesome deal if they are new. Where abouts do you live? Yoiu may be able to pop in to one of our shops, and have a chat to one of us. We offer Bimmersport members a pretty sharp deal.

Um yeah I live in auckland, that would be Great.

Contact information?

I run 205's on a 8" rim-never had a problem. But this is on a E30.

Um yeah I live in auckland, that would be Great.

Contact information?

either send me a pm or go to our website www.magandtyredirect.com, I am normally out at Penrose but will be back and forward between our New Lynn for most of this week.

cheers

Johno

Gasp --- read the comments from the pom.

Haha! He's probably never heard of [ or had ] a decent wheel allignment.

running wide[ish] tyres for the rims is good for cornering loads. but the footprint is susceptible to undulating surfaces [ "tramlining" ] less negative camber is required . A race car in a straight line [ at slow speeds ] is terrible

Interesting comment about "triangle" tyres in the wet. on the track we usually mount directional tyres backwards on the front [ the forces are opposite ] With a V tread pattern this will help in the wet under braking.

"Try locking up a Tractor going downhill, and you'll understand the concept "

A race car in a straight line [ at slow speeds ] is terrible

Depends on the car - mine's terrible because the alignment is out (or something else is wrong). Before that it was fine...

Depends on the car - mine's terrible because the alignment is out (or something else is wrong). Before that it was fine...

Are you sure? A lot of negative camber causes camber thrust [ 2 cones driving towards each other ] to counter-act this they use Toe out [ terrible under bracking on rough surfaces ]

On a circuit car, there is no such thing as a straight line, If your foot is into it hard enough the straight becomes an extension of the corner [ you are always leaning on one side ]

As for the directional tyres says it all if you have to put them on backwards to make them work when pushed !!

Hey Ron

If you look at some early F1 footage , Ferrari were the only ones using intermediates [ 2000-2002 ] the tyres on the front looked backwards, and the other way round on the rear. This works with most directionals [ RWD only ] believe me I've done it, it works a treat for that extra little bit of performance.

Mind you, I shouldn't be giving this advice on a public forum.

The average driver [ or above average , haha!] couldn't drive a nail into sand. I'd hate to see a novice " late brake" up the arse of an ARA bus

Here is a shot of them on the car, they are pressing agents the guard and the Back kit.

I Have had 19x8 on my car before and they fitted fine and got a certification with them, then had enough of them and wanted to move to something less chrome.

Ran out of money and had to get some cheap triangle tyres.

Got told they will do a fine job.

But looks like they are to big 235/35/19

Going to get some 215/35/19 would this reduce the guard touching?

Et is 38 if that helps?

Please help!

post-2991-1210049920_thumb.jpg

Edited by bma.e36

Its not the tyre that is too wide it is how it is fitted and the wheel it is on -

245 and 255's will fit if done properly

How is it fitted? and what you mean the wheel it is on?

short answer (although not the best answer) is YES it will cure your problems. Obviously because you are on a budget this is the best way for YOU to cure tyre rubbing.

Edited by zenetti

Given that a 215 generally mounts on a 7 inch rim stretching it to an 8.5 is probably ugly and I dont think he is doing it for race track performance.

And we should allow some benefit to comments made by others - perhaps NZ pom would clarify

As for the directional tyres says it all if you have to put them on backwards to make them work when pushed !!

Hey guys all i offered was a personal opinion not a proffesional one...... To clear it up, it is not a race car, its a daily driver, the tyres were not my choice they were fitted to the car when i got it, it feels worse the slower i go especially around town, i dont care what they look like i just want to feel safe so if any of you have some proffesional advice on how to overcome this before i end up spending nearly $1000 on new ones then please explain. OH and by the way smartarse i do know what a wheel alignment is and it was the first thing i got done.

Thanks for support 3pedals

Hey Mate, no offence intended. my words originally were a "decent" wheel allignment.

90% of the time, the salesman has more skills than the schoolkid doin' the allignment.

There are some really talented allignment guys out there , that can sort out your problems when you go outside manufacturers specs [ lowering , widening etc ]

try and use one of these guys.

my comments about race cars, is because 1/2 the idiots out there try and use race car settings on a street car

[ great for creating excess tyre wear ]

I know some decent allignment guys in the Tauranga area only

Here is a shot of them on the car, they are pressing agents the guard and the Back kit.

My observation from the photo you have provided is....your car is too low, and with the 19' wheels you've got, it wont make much difference what size tyre you use... they will rub... it even looks like the mag has been touching the guard as well.

Unfortunately, without spending alot of money, you wont fix it just with tyres

But then again, I'm no tyre expert and Ive been wrong before :rolleyes:

Edited by botanymotorworx

Perhaps its the rim protector rubbing the guards???

Hey,

Nope! Sorry car is not to low as super lows are in the back and they still rubbed, and how could it be any diffrent when i had a diffrent set of 19s on the car around 3 weeks ago.

Have talked to Johno and he said it should work out for me.

And no the wheel itself is not touching the guard.

I have heard and read there is alot of people on here that have major problems with cars running to low, but mine is below limit but has be certified on 19x8s