Sign in to follow this  
Avenged.SSE

Are the majority of car sellers on trademe dreamers??

I have been wondering about this for a while! For example. Type in 2001 318i on trademe cheapest buy now price on there is $15k, Highest for a non-motorsports model is $20k. Now compare this to turners auction, they have about 5 318i 2000 models listed and the majority are between $11-13k.

1). 1995 rover 620i (bagged with chromes) selling for $10.5k, I've seen compariable ones minus airbags & chromes on turners for $2.5-3.5k

2). 1997 c200 merc, 62k on odometer (everything stock), selling for $17.1K, comaparable on turners for $6.5-7.5k

3). 1996 E280 merc on chromes, 135k on odometer selling for $14k+

There are so many of them. How do people get away with this O.O especially something like the last one. Are people really that stupid O.O?

What do you guys think??

1. What is 0.0 for a start???

2. Prices on trade me are generally only asking prices - Everythings negotiable

3. There item = There price as they are the seller.

4. If you think the price is to high don't buy it - simple.

Thats what I think

In most cases, people are very unrealistic when listing cars on TradeMe. Many people tend to list their car "to see if there are any bites", but not with an urgent sale in mind. These cars will sit, sit and sit...

The worst thing about this is that it breeds dreamers. E.g someone thinks to themselves, oh the exact same car as mine but in burgundy with 20k more on the clock is listed at $10k, so that means mine should be worth $12k.... What it results in is a very wide set of prices.

The only benefit of this is that it makes a car priced properly looks very attractive, resulting in a quick sale.

To see the true value of a car, look at the results of $1 reserve sales on TradeMe and also the Turners Best Price Guarantee sales results.

I could talk all day on this subject, but sadly have work to do...

There are many dreamers on Trademe.... and a few may sell their cars to naive buyers who don't know the market value of a particular model. The good thing though (as JJS said) is that if the price is too high, the car will sit on the site forever causing the seller to reduce the price and keep reducing it until it coincides with the market value and somebody then buys it.

I also love the people who misrepresent their cars thinking they know everything about it (i.e the 323i with ACS replica wheels and a grille badge, which the owner claims is "a genuine AC Schnitzer car, not a replica). It's always laughable but that's all you can do.... have a laugh then keep trawling the listings looking for a bargain. :D

Oh, and my personal favourite is people who think they can recover what they have spent on the car. Whether its "bagging", chrome wheels, gearbox overhauls, service costs etc it will never be worth what you have spent.

Oh, and my personal favourite is people who think they can recover what they have spent on the car. Whether its "bagging", chrome wheels, gearbox overhauls, service costs etc it will never be worth what you have spent.

My thoughts exactly!

1. What is 0.0 for a start???

2. Prices on trade me are generally only asking prices - Everythings negotiable

3. There item = There price as they are the seller.

4. If you think the price is to high don't buy it - simple.

Thats what I think

1). O.O illustrates surprise... think big open eyes.

2). I understand! but unless in some cases they are willing to sell it for 50% of listed value, it still seems like an incredulous price.

3). I'm quite sure everyone understand this concept, I'm trying to understand why the prices are set so high, and whether people actually buy at such prices, not even considering the current economic state, or petrol.

4). There's nothing in specific I want to or don't want to buy, the issue just interests me.

I would say some of them are dreamers, but we can't really make a general statement. It depends on the car. By pricing at a premium the seller can be trying to send a signal to buyers that his car is better than the rest of the market. This could gather interest from those who can afford the premium for a superior car and filter out the people who can't. Then they can negotiate.

And as has been mentioned not all sellers want an urgent sale so are just putting it on for what they'd let it go for today - so you can't really say they are 'dreamers'. If a guy wanted a sale today, and priced it well above market, then yes you could say he's dreaming.

There are many dreamers on Trademe.... and a few may sell their cars to naive buyers who don't know the market value of a particular model. The good thing though (as JJS said) is that if the price is too high, the car will sit on the site forever causing the seller to reduce the price and keep reducing it until it coincides with the market value and somebody then buys it.

I also love the people who misrepresent their cars thinking they know everything about it (i.e the 323i with ACS replica wheels and a grille badge, which the owner claims is "a genuine AC Schnitzer car, not a replica). It's always laughable but that's all you can do.... have a laugh then keep trawling the listings looking for a bargain. :D

I think it depends on the car. If they are selling a mint condition example then it has to be worth more. Or if you really wanted a black paint job say, then a couple of grand more might seem reasonable. I think you should be able to get a car cheaper on trademe than a dealer thou. Are turners cars just cheap imports? What condition are they usually in?

And misrepresent.. i was looking a some 7 series a while back and went to have a look at a 735iL. I went for a drive and my partner found the the 735i badge in the door card. I said that it was listed wrong but he didn't change it, he seemed dodgy to me.

I dont think that they are dreaming, it is a good way to get the highest price that they can. They should probably do some research before hand thou. Any buyers really need to check out any car first then give them an offer of what they think it is worth.

Edited by tcbaurpower

I think it depends on the car. If they are selling a mint condition example then it has to be worth more.

Doesn't everyone think there car is a "mint condition example"?

Doesn't everyone think there car is a "mint condition example"?

Ditto. I'm pretty sure a lot do, otherwise this wouldn't justify why a lot of listings are asking for over-the-top prices, I mean not everyone can have a mint condition car, otherwise it wouldn't be such a big deal.

When ever i sell something on TM i nearly always have a higher reserve than what i'm willing ti take for it. Gives the option to haggle.

O.O should actually be O_O, just like we have <_< or X_X or o_O or O_o or ~_~ or T_T

When I list on Trademe i'm listing to get rid of it, I can't be arsed waiting months for someone to pay me more, i'll list it for just under the price I want and i'll get the sale.

Edited by Mr. Pink

imo every auction on trademe should start at $1, if an item never gets near reserve, maybe, just maybe the people might figure it out.

imo every auction on trademe should start at $1, if an item never gets near reserve, maybe, just maybe the people might figure it out.

I agree. The people who advertise something, but refuse to list it at no reserve, have no faith they will get what they want for their vehicle. Surely this should tell them what they want is not what they will get!

On the flip side, i've sold many things on $1 Reserve and have got quite a bit more than what I thought I would get / what I was originally gonna list it for. Also, watching it can add a bit of excitement to your week.

On the flip side, i've sold many things on $1 Reserve and have got quite a bit more than what I thought I would get / what I was originally gonna list it for. Also, watching it can add a bit of excitement to your week.

Yeah, I think people get quite caught up in $1 Res auctions, and almost always will outbid the last bidder thinking that it is only an extra $50.00. Before the seller knows it, they are getting good prices.

What you guys are all forgetting is that an auction on trademe is only for a week (generally) and unless you just want to get rid of the car you are not going to get the 'right' buyer in a week.

If your selling something of obvious value then you need to treat trademe like a classified and just leave it on there and wait for that person to come along. Not everyone has a dozen saved searches and spends two hours a day just looking at BMW's !

I would say that those people who are wanting to get a decent sum of money for their cars are quite prepared to wait. Just because something doesnt sell in a week doesnt necessarly mean its over priced.

As an aside Ive been laughed at on here with some of my asking prices, especially for my Alpinas, but I didnt even have to market them on trademe before I getting my asking price. In fact everything Ive sold has gone for more than I asked for on here so perhaps Bimmersporters are just a bunch of tightwads ;)

@penry - you're talking about selling an item that has a widely known worth and is a very demanded item, what the above comments are in relation to are mainly vehicles that don't have a known worth and aren't in demand given their wide abundance. Not apples and oranges.

Id disagree about the 'widely known worth' statement Carl. I wouldve had AT LEAST 30 phone calls asking if I would let them go for 500 or less, but I take your point.

In the current market you could argue that Im asking alot for my 325, but (bar the dash) its in mint condition inside and out, full sports leather with new springs and shocks and only 98000 klms.

People might consider me dreaming asking 4.5k for it but Ive two people come to collect my parts and they have both said they would pay 5k for it if they were in the market.

Neither were the 'ricer' type though and knew the true value of the parts they were buying. So Im happy to wait until one of them turns up :)