Sign in to follow this  
jjs

Personalised Plates

137 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I have always been interested in personalised plates, and have owned a few over the years (including some blue ones). People seem to have a very wide range of opinions of them though... The only plates I would own would be name (initials, surname etc), car (make, model) or blue investment (cool looking symetrical stuff). However, I could never own something like PLAYA, BAGGED, DA MAN etc etc etc

The one thing that does astound me is the amount listed on Trademe. Some are cheap and tend to sell, others have been listed, im sure, for a couple of years. I guess like the other thread on TradeMe Dreamers, people are unrealistic. A few which had me laughing were; MARNUS $5k, TR1AL R $9k, 1LUVNZ $14k and 0JESUS $100k....

Oh, and for those of you that are wondering...

"BMW" - 1996 323i

"M3" - 1989 M3 (but plate hasn't been used since '96)

"M5" - 1986 535i (not used since '93)

A shame the last two are stuck in someones garage and not on the road...

Edited by JJS

It sucks that those plates arnt being used at all. they would complete any great M3 or M5.

What are The "blue investment plates"? I never understood them, there just random numbers arnt they?

I own 4 plates and 2 was bought direct from Plates and the other 2 are from Trademe (and cheap).

Plates.co.nz now charge some silly amount for the plates and I say this put off people from owning even more.

A plate only worth what someone else is willing to pay for.

It sucks that those plates arnt being used at all. they would complete any great M3 or M5.

What are The "blue investment plates"? I never understood them, there just random numbers arnt they?

All 1 and 2 character plates are blue.

Also, symmetrical plates or plates of a special series are blue. E.g. AAABBB, 101010 etc.

These were marketed by Personalised Plates Ltd in the early to mid nineties and some people paid silly money for them. E.g there is a guy selling a 2 character blue plate on plates.co.nz asking $1800. I spoke to him and he says he still has the receipt for $25k when he bought it in the early 90's!

I wouldn't put too much value on them now. Again, as mentioned, plates are only worth what someone is willing to pay for them.

I have the plate DRFT IT. Currently on my 325. But belongs on my 180. Was given it on my 21st from my Girlfriend at the time. Was a drift fanatic back then. Had it for 6 years now. Prob wont sell it. Even if I dont put it on a car.

Only problem is that someone who lives around the corner has the plate DRFT T.

My little bro bought me EVLBMW off trademe a few years ago to go white the Halo lights i put in. But i gotta say, Plates.co.nz have put their price a few 100 over the last few years.

I hate the Personalised Plates in NZ. Go to Queensland, for instance, and when owning a Personalised Plate less emphasis is placed on the actual 'different wording' and more is placed on the custmisation of plates. (Like adding Palm Trees, Rugby Balls, Different Sizes of Plates etc.)

Plates NZ has none of this.

Have a look.

Most p-plates have way too much wank factor (My mate has HEYBBY for example). I think they just make you look like a tosser.

A few finish off the car if it is a particularly mint or unique example, and in these cases seal the deal.

There's a fine line.

Have you crossed it?

Most p-plates have way too much wank factor (My mate has HEYBBY for example). I think they just make you look like a tosser.

A few finish off the car if it is a particularly mint or unique example, and in these cases seal the deal.

I agree completely.

Cheers

Grant

I hate the adverts way too much to ever buy one!

I f@#king hate them, they're such a load of wank.

If a car I bought had a personalized plate, that would be the first thing I would change.

If a car I bought had a personalized plate, that would be the first thing I would change.

+1

I hate most of them too. But there is some that I think suite the car. Very few of them around though.

Look at this pimp ride. Plate suites it so well :rolleyes:

Go the Justy

Posted Image

I guess everyone knows my plate as MSB0ND, I bought it 5years ago, unfortunately MSBOND had already been taken by another female BMW owner. NZ Euro plate cost me $650.00 back then I think.

Ive seen DRFT T round a lot, does the T stand for "IT". Cant stand plates that are not so obvious. Like if you cant spell your name on a plate properly don't bother eg. I wouldnt accept Shelli

I personally dont see the point it buying one thats just the make or model of the car , especially if its just a standard car. E30V8 is good though because it gets people thinking.

But I wouldnt have a 'special' date or my name or anything, but there is a plate I would have (two in fact) but they are so obscure Id have to keep explaining them to people or have the extra words on the bottom to explain them !

I would like to get one but since they are now over priced it doesnt seem worth it. If i did i would just get a simple three numbers three letters because that is the cheaper option and make it a euro plate so it suits a BMW. :D

Plates that just give the model type etc seem pointless. I like the plates that let you know someones personallity like CZYARB.

I guess everyone knows my plate as MSB0ND, I bought it 5years ago, unfortunately MSBOND had already been taken by another female BMW owner. NZ Euro plate cost me $650.00 back then I think.

Ive seen DRFT T round a lot, does the T stand for "IT". Cant stand plates that are not so obvious. Like if you cant spell your name on a plate properly don't bother eg. I wouldnt accept Shelli

Ah yes I have seen your car around. Its nice. Yeah see my plate DRFT IT is obvious as it usually resides on my 180sx. DRFT T. Not so sure about. Think the guy just liked my plate and got the closest he could. There is also DRFT 1T around I think. I might retire my plate once the 180 is sold as I am over the whole Drift thing these days. Bit old for it now.

I like the plates that you spend time trying to figure out. As long as they are funny.

F

yeah i have 2 P plates. Was given one for a bday which is "LUKAS 1" (my name) and the other one i bought 2 years ago is "RAPID0" (which means FAST in spanish) my partners from Mexico so thats where that came from.

Some people probebly think its wanky considering my car isnt that fast hahaha but the europeans ive met seem to like it :)

Europeans like Personalized plates as 99% of their countries don't have Personalized plates.

I like personalised plates, but not all of them , the only plate I would have would be my name or initials which consequently both a taken so tough luck, I miss out

E30V8 is mint Riley, Must be a big WTF factor when people that no e30's see it.

P/Plates are an individual thing, some people love them some hate them.

I am of mixed opinions when it comes to personalised plates and I own one (2TMPTN). It has only ever been on one of my cars (A VR4) cos the rest really were not up to standard.

I see a lot of plates around and most of the time have a chuckle or think "yeah... good one" when they are done properly or are clever. What I CAN'T STAND though is the people that have obviously seen a plate and copied it but use a '5' for an 'S' or a '4' for an 'A' etc. My ususal response and 90% of the time out loud is "tosser". What I also don't get is the people that put the model of their car on the plate eg BMW325.