Sign in to follow this  
mr E34

MR E34 RAPT AT NEW TUNING FIGURES.

Hi Guys, Map-Ecu did further development tuning on my M30 engine.

Made impressive gains in power thru more precise tuning.

RESULTS ARE FROM DYNO DYNAMICS ROLLER DYNO.

STOCK ENGINE: 123.5kw BP ULTIMATE 98 FUEL

MAP-ECU 2 (no AFM) 137.0kw BP ULTIMATE 98 FUEL ( existing map tune yielded 128.5kw)

PEAK POWER GAIN: 13.5kw

137kw IS A FANTASTIC POWER OUTPUT ON A ROLLER DYNO FOR A STOCK M30 ENGINE. :D :D :D

THE ENGINE/EXHAUST IS COMPLETELY STOCK DOWN TO THE PAPER FILTER

Posted Image

Posted Image

post-2351-1211495277_thumb.jpg

post-2351-1211495291_thumb.jpg

Edited by Simon*

Thats impressive, good job. How exactly do you do this map-ecu etc. I remember you bringing it up once before, but i'm still a little puzzled. Does it reprogram existing ecu or what?

Regards,

Ian.

Thats impressive, good job. How exactly do you do this map-ecu etc. I remember you bringing it up once before, but i'm still a little puzzled. Does it reprogram existing ecu or what?

Regards,

Ian.

Thanks Ian, you piggyback 7 wires (give or take)on to the existing ECU (remove my old flap air flow meter), you plug in a laptop into Map-Ecu port, you then alter fueling/timing to your engine, basically you are intercepting values to your stock ecu.You have real time engine tuning available to you, should only be done by qualified engine tuner.The one comment the tuner made was the BMW M30 seemed resistant to any knocking whatsoever, excellent combustion chamber design combined with low 9.0:1 compression + 98 fuel.

You can add more fuel, take out fuel, advance or retard the ignition timing.Does this help?

Edited by mr E34

Thanks Ian, you piggyback 7 wires on to the existing ECU (remove my old flap air flow meter), you plug in a laptop into Map-Ecu port, you then alter fueling/timing to your engine, basically you are intercepting values to your stock ecu.You have real time engine tuning available to you, should only be done by qualified engine tuner.

You can add more fuel, take out fuel, advance or retard the ignition timing.Does this help?

Heaps, thanks. Did a quick google also (silly me). So who tunes your car?

Heaps, thanks. Did a quick google also (silly me). So who tunes your car?

This top end was done by Auckland Performance Tuning.(Papakura)

Tuning is more than numbers, has to drive properly after tuning.

Edited by mr E34

This final and best tune was done by Auckland Performance Tuning.(Papakura)

Tuning is more than numbers, has to drive properly after tuning.

Thanks, if you don't mind, can you give me a rough estimate of pricing for the tune and the MAP-ECU2 equipment etc?

Cheers.

Thanks, if you don't mind, can you give me a rough estimate of pricing for the tune and the MAP-ECU2 equipment etc?

Cheers.

Mine is a development mule for Map-Ecu2 on the M30.

You probably don't need to fit a Map-Ecu 2,(maybe Map1, no timing adj) you could get the ECU reprogrammed while on dyno (re-flash existing chip)The cost is the hours upon hours of tuning a V8 on the dyno unless someone has already done one so they have good new mapping to start with.

I'm not sure there are huge gains to be made in your 4ltr V8, it already is very powerful & uses a hotwire airflow meter. There would be some HP gain but who knows how much, you would have to ask around who has done one and what gains did they get.

Edited by mr E34

Mine is a development mule for Map-Ecu2 on the M30.

You probably don't need to fit a Map-Ecu 2,(maybe Map1, no timing adj) you could get the ECU reprogrammed while on dyno (re-flash existing chip)The cost is the hours upon hours of tuning a V8 on the dyno unless someone has already done one so they have good new mapping to start with.

I'm not sure there are huge gains to be made in your 4ltr V8, it already is very powerful & uses a hotwire airflow meter. There would be some HP gain but who knows how much, you would have to ask around who has done one and what gains did they get.

Thanks for the info, was just looking into possible mods down the line.

Ian.

On a bit of a sidetrack (hope you dont mind, I will PM you if you want, just think this might be useful in general for people thinking of chipping/messing with ECU), superchips.co.nz claim an increase of 10kw, what are your thoughts on this?

On a bit of a sidetrack (hope you dont mind, I will PM you if you want, just think this might be useful in general for people thinking of chipping/messing with ECU), superchips.co.nz claim an increase of 10kw, what are your thoughts on this?

I don't know, a chip is easier, just plug in.If you look at all the overseas tuning houses all top tuners reflash chips real time, fit piggy backs, or full ecu.

Real time tuning is obviously the best because every engine build is different, fuel octane, engine wear & tear etc all characteristics taken care of.

I don't know, a chip is easier, just plug in.If you look at all the overseas tuning houses all top tuners reflash chips real time, fit piggy backs, or full ecu.

Real time tuning is obviously the best because every engine build is different, fuel octane, engine wear & tear etc all characteristics taken care of.

Cheers for the info, very informative, now back to your awesome gains :).

Wow thats a great result. Will you do any more little mods to try push the 150 mark?

Also do you know if you can remove the afm with the likes of a link ecu?

Wow thats a great result. Will you do any more little mods to try push the 150 mark?

I think this does allow the removal of AFM.

Thanks for the encouragement! Only will put on 6 branch stainless headers next, no internal engine mods unless i have to strip down the engine for unforseen probs. Expensive to build performance M30, 150kw is a lot.

Sorry, i don't know anything about link ecu etc.

Mr E34, Boris.

Edited by mr E34

Good stuff Boris

I told Richard about the Map-Ecu program, would be good to see them strike an agreement as I believe they are moving away from Uni-Chip,

Hopefully they have some info when we have the Bimmersport dyno day there in the next few weeks.

Good work Boris, great gains even with that skinny exhaust!!

the main gain prolly comes from the removal of the restrictive butterfly valve type afm...hmmm.......

Good stuff Boris

I told Richard about the Map-Ecu program, would be good to see them strike an agreement as I believe they are moving away from Uni-Chip,

Hopefully they have some info when we have the Bimmersport dyno day there in the next few weeks.

Thanks Graham, the tuner out there seems pretty good.

I see the graphs now. Looks good :) Any change in torque before/after?

Forgot the torque printouts, probably between 315-320nm.

Good work Boris, great gains even with that skinny exhaust!!

Maybe the exhaust is ok after all??

Thanks Graham, the tuner out there seems pretty good.

Yea Jason’s a good tuner.. Dyno morning tomorrow, can’t wait!

Hi Guys, fitted stainless headers to the boat anchor M30b35 engine......................................

It would now be the most powerful stock N/A(internal) 9.0:1 engine.

Power@wheels 140.7kw (188.7HP)

E34 535is is very fast & torquey, rear drive with near on 190HP @ wheels, very quick!

Thanks to MapEcu (Performance Motor Research) & Jason (APT) for the dyno run.

post-1048-1248674845_thumb.jpg post-1048-1248674917_thumb.jpgpost-1048-1248984631_thumb.jpgpost-1048-1249275592_thumb.jpg

Edited by mr E34