Sign in to follow this  
greenday-rulz21

'99 E36 stereo

The faceplate has a greenish back light. The rest of the buttons, dials, speedo etc are the wonderful Bmw orange.

Is there any way to change the back light in the faceplate so it matches the rest of the interior lights?

Or is it easier/cheaper to get a new faceplate?

Cheers guys

Got a picture of it Nick? I've never seen a BMW stereo with a green backlight! Or is this an aftermarket unit?

If you're au-fait with electronics there are DIY's on the net that walk you through changing the bulbs in the faceplate to orange. However, there are a lot of head units for sale now where you can change the backlight to any colour you like.

Sorry Yuen, forgot to mention it is an aftermarket unit. Will get a picture up this afternoon.

Cheers Mark, will have a look around for a DIY.

Good luck mate, like Mark said I've also seen people post DIYs for colour changes as well so it's possible, not sure if it's changing the film or changing the actual bulbs/LEDs or whatever they use now though.

Good luck mate, like Mark said I've also seen people post DIYs for colour changes as well so it's possible, not sure if it's changing the film or changing the actual bulbs/LEDs or whatever they use now though.

DIY colour changes: my friend here has changed ALL illunination in his BMW E46 to blue by physically changing every LED in EVERY switch and display and also in the entire instrument cluster

I told him he was crazy, he agreed :-)