Sign in to follow this  
ronnie

fuel economy

Hi Guys,

Just thought i would add my 2 cents worth. I have a 99 328i. The economy i get is a s follows. On a long trip from here (TGA) to wellington with 4 in the car and aboot full of luggage i reset the trip computor at home and achieve an average speed of 100kph, my fuel economy is 7.5l per 100 km. My urban cycle driving normally is 9.9 l per 100 k. I admit that my HP has been increased to about 205 hp but the economy is pretty good for a 2.8.Its cheaper to run than most of the 2.0l jappas.I also know of several 540 owners who have gained another 100km out of a tank of gas by the same method on a long trip.

Cheers

Sounds good - is your car an E36 or E46?

I got a CBR250RR MC22 with 20,000kms for a very good price. Have great handling and fairly quick. Its great fun!

I would go with 4 stroke, engine last longer and have a more linear power curve. With 2 stroke its annoying and expensive adding oil to fuel and you have to get fuel:oil ratio just right. Although they do have much more power than a same size 4 stroke.

Also remember that with a bike, you have to buy gear- minimum being helmet, gloves, jacket, boots and probably pants.

Just spent up large today, bought:

Alpinestars leather jacket- $899

Alpinestars leather pants- $499

Alpinestars gloves- $140

Alpinestars boots- $250

Shoei helmet- $500

Total: too scared to calculate :( OUCH!

$2288. You're welcome Nick :P Glad to see you value your melon enough to buy a good helmet!

I would go with 4 stroke, engine last longer and have a more linear power curve. With 2 stroke its annoying and expensive adding oil to fuel and you have to get fuel:oil ratio just right. Although they do have much more power than a same size 4 stroke.

the 250 4 strokes from the big 4 jap manufacturers do hold their value really well, chances are if you brought one you wouldn't lose any money if you brought and rode a second hand one while you were on your restricted period. That said I'd also consider some of the chinese ones coming in now or korean like hyosung, nothing wrong with them for learners.

2 stroke will be a lot more fun than 4 stroke, hell I run out of power on the dirt with a 250 4t and our speeds and are much lower than the road. while 2 strokes don't last as long they're much simpler to work on and have pretty much twice the power. The oil isn't a biggy either as most road bikes have seperate tanks for oil and petrol so you don't have to mix it. even if you do mix it they're not particularly picky about how much oil you run.

sorry, back on topic

Edited by Mike

I have a 98 540i, just 2 weeks old and just calculated my mileage over the weekend. I got 15.2 l/100kms! This is based on the actual consumption and not on the trip computer, which was pretty accurate anyway. Driving style was, how shall I put it, not with a specific objective of getting better fuel consumpmtion. Over the weekend, refilled and went on a longer trip to Hamilton with BMWCC, trip computer does not show any major saving in fuel consumption, but let me calculate the actual when I am about to run out of fuel. Have used on BP 98.

Anyone else getting better mileage with a 540?

Edited by ashok540