Sign in to follow this  
jjs

E39's seem to be dropping in price

Keep looking for a nice E36 / E46 for myself, but can't help notice how low E39's are falling.

A few examples....

1997 523i NZ new, high kms but looks tidy and only $4,900

1996 528i Another high km NZ new car, but again looks tidy and buy now is $7k

1997 535i V8 NZ new too... asking $9,950

1997 520i ex-UK, MANUAL, $7,600

Has anyone had experience with high km E39's? To they tend to still be reliable, or past 200kms are you buying ongoing trouble?

mechanically they must be just as reliable as before...more electrics/computers though than e 30 32 34 36....

The cooling system is a notorious issue/problem. But once replaced should give another 100+k of happy motoring. With a car of that mileage you won't be able to get a warranty.

Keep looking for a nice E36 / E46 for myself, but can't help notice how low E39's are falling.

Has anyone had experience with high km E39's? To they tend to still be reliable, or past 200kms are you buying ongoing trouble?

I agree with you Jeremy, the prices are all over the place for an e39. I was wondering about getting something with higher km's. But maybe if we are patient things will come down more for cars with lower km's.

Red 530i

NZ New 530i

Is the NZ new car worth the $23,000 dollar premium over the jap import?

But what the hell with petrol prices high, this looks tempting 540i burble burble

The red 530i from Japan with FSH looks like a good deal. Can't really go wrong if it's got service history.

The red 530i from Japan with FSH looks like a good deal. Can't really go wrong if it's got service history.

Could be a bit cheaper. Sienna red is not a very good colour for resale

No problems with high kays. I have a NZ new 2001 facelift 530i that has 250,000 kays on it. Have done front pads, ABS computer and radiator/expansion tank plus a trans service. The car runs like a clock and is still as tight as. The first owner did 240 kays in 6 years between Kerikeri and Auckland/Rotorua so it was all long hot running. Will be listing it on TM soon as i want want something more suitable to tow the race car. It is still worth around $15K.

It is still worth around $15K.

Yeah, sure.

At Turners last week a NZ New MOTORSPORT 530i with 80,000km on the clock sold for $13,800.

Yes, it did have stonechips, and a faint tobacco smell, but was a fantastic car.

This week, the person who bought it loaded it on Trademe and added $10K onto it.

Here it is: Link

I'm sooo pissed Dad couldn't get the day off work!

Yeah, sure.

At Turners last week a NZ New MOTORSPORT 530i with 80,000km on the clock sold for $13,800.

Yes, it did have stonechips, and a faint tobacco smell, but was a fantastic car.

This week, the person who bought it loaded it on Trademe and added $10K onto it.

You missed a bargin there. What a price for a great car. Maybe mine isn't worth as much as i think - guess i'll let the market do that

Yeah, sure.

]

I had my eye on that one too! All signed up to do the auction and bid - a virtual newbie bidder

I have learnt since that Turners run multiple lanes so you have to watch them all or find out which lane it is going to auctioned on.

Oh well, I've got over it (almost) it was a fantastic deal... Maybe I'm destined for a 540 after all :rolleyes:

Yeah, sure.

Wow. Just.... WOW.

That's almost as good as the E34 M5. Better if you consider the KMs... but who am I kidding, it ain't no M5.

Do people really care about resale value when they buy a car though ? Perhaps on a new one, but then if you can afford a new BMW you can afford the depreciation.

But for a car like this your going to be buying it for a while, so does it really matter.

Personally I really like the colour. Would look awesome after a decent 3-step and so different to the boring silvers and greys

These cars are amazing value if you get a good one. I would say NZ new is a must and a full service history to ensure that it has been services regularly and all the updates and recalls have been carried out.

Also, go for the facelift if you can.

If it makes anyone feel better my old man got one new in 96, $118,995 it cost him. Sold it for less than 40 a few years later.

Guest Simon*

Haha it's no consolation at all is it!

I've got the original receipt for mine, new from the dealer in Jan '95 for $157k

Haha it's no consolation at all is it!

I've got the original receipt for mine, new from the dealer in Jan '95 for $157k

Well, this is probably worse... 2005 BMW 750i facelift NZ new, 42kms. New price from bmw.co.nz is $220,000 plus options, this puppy is selling for $65,000, meaning it has lost 70% of its value in less than 3 years!!!

Guest Simon*

Well, this is probably worse... 2005 BMW 750i facelift NZ new, 42kms. New price from bmw.co.nz is $220,000 plus options, this puppy is selling for $65,000, meaning it has lost 70% of its value in less than 3 years!!!

Yeah exactly! Who'd be a car salesman?!!! :rolleyes:

I've recently purchased an E39, total price was something like $16.5k which included 1yr rego, warrant, service, new tyres etc. Car was a new import from Singapore with all service history so I think I got quite a good deal out of it, everything is in immaculate condition. Fully optioned.. Woodgrain/leather, front & rear parking sensors, rear blinds etc, with 91ks on the clock.

Edited by Avenged.SSE

That is turners though and the company that owned it can probably afford the depreciation as it’s a good tax write off.

Last week I bought a 98 540i 54.5kms, imported from Japan, silver, for 14k! Got it inspected by Team Mcmillan before buying, came out without any problems. So yeah, it is a good time to buy V8s if you can afford the fuel!

A few examples....

1997 523i NZ new, high kms but looks tidy and only $4,900

1996 528i Another high km NZ new car, but again looks tidy and buy now is $7k

1997 535i V8 NZ new too... asking $9,950

1997 520i ex-UK, MANUAL, $7,600

Both mine(540's) are just over 200k-(201 & 209) & Have both had cooling systems replaced,the 98 had air con done.Both are imports-1 jap,1 ex SA & have histories.Since reading threads am about to get both trans' serviced.

Had both checked out & are as tight as new.No reason to think I wont be able to enjoy them for a long time yet> And i

love them!!! PS the 98 is in paint shop getting front tidied but I will post pics of both asap!!