Sign in to follow this  
Yuen

E39 540i 6 Speed

ahh bad luck

Always another one though mate

bummer .

could be just a faulty coil . (quite common) or need a firm ware update to bring the idle speed up .what about the PCV vale at the back of the manifold , (many cars are sold cheap beacuse of these units been faulty)

did anyone do a proper comprssion test??

bummer .

could be just a faulty coil . (quite common) or need a firm ware update to bring the idle speed up .what about the PCV vale at the back of the manifold , (many cars are sold cheap beacuse of these units been faulty)

did anyone do a proper comprssion test??

their first thoughts were a coil but according to them(and BMWNZ) it may have been the PCV valve.They had the car in a second time to try and diagnose the problem but didnt seem to know .My main concern is that SMG seemed to have limited experience.Would have been much better if the car had remained in CHCH as at first .I am a bit down about it but I am sure there is a nice one out there somewhere(2 in 24 months!)

Don't worry Paul. A good deal will come along in time. Till then let's ogle the E39 M5s on TradeMe and hopefully their price will drop even more :D

drove a e39 M5 the other day . pretty nice .

was a customers car , he handed me the key after i was talking to him for while .

nice power curve after 4k rpm .

haha...i can't imagine buying a car WITHOUT any problems!

best of luck!

drove a e39 M5 the other day . pretty nice .

was a customers car , he handed me the key after i was talking to him for while .

nice power curve after 4k rpm .

I beleive very impressive evn below 4 k?

haha...i can't imagine buying a car WITHOUT any problems!

best of luck!

I dont mind problems(in fact i knew it had a few) but i like to know (mostly) what i am in for.The local dealer said(and i quote) "you might make a $5000 guess"

I think you made the right decision on that car. It was not the tidiest example and looked like it was quite tired for the mileage etc. The wear on the body looked like something that had done 300,000km. In the end fate has dealt its hand and you can definitely do better. Happy to help a fellow member :)

With all the hills starts in Welly, you should consider the auto ...... :)

Ron

I think you made the right decision on that car. It was not the tidiest example and looked like it was quite tired for the mileage etc. The wear on the body looked like something that had done 300,000km. In the end fate has dealt its hand and you can definitely do better. Happy to help a fellow member :)

With all the hills starts in Welly, you should consider the auto ...... :)

Ron

without a clutch and gas pedal to work i wouldnt get any exercise...it also keeps my co ordination up to scratch.The pre purchase check in invercargill wasnt altoghter complimentary either.Althoughi was disapointed,cos i put a lot of time and effort into it (and the best part of $500) i think you are right Ron.I think i would never have been happy with its overall condition.Thanks heaps for looking at it