Sign in to follow this  
Yuen

E39 540i 6 Speed

So, back on topic...

Has anyone been to see this car?

Suprised it hasn't been snapped up by now. People are still wanting the same money for auto 540's...

i think most people are put off by the miles..and the potential petrol bill?

So it’s done 16,000km a year on average since new? What’s wrong with that? We do 20km a year in our cars and I would have thought that was normal.

I would take a well maintained NZ car with normal Km's over a Japanese abused import with fewer km's any day. Just think how long the imports engine has been running in bumper to bumper traffic or how many nights it has spent outside due to pore parking conditions.

Looks like a nice car, same wheels and kit as my old E39

Posted Image

but a well maintained car will have had shocks, suspension bushes etc done....and the bodywork and interior are there to see,and in my opinion it is that that reflects the true condition of the car,plus the service records,not the mileage.If it is as good as it looks i will be able to tell how it goes :)

You would hope so, but sadly I don't think you can guarantee it as some owners skimp on maintenance... Those are exactly the things that need to be looked at in an inspection and you are on the money about the paint and interior. The V8 and 6 speed imply that it should go like a cut cat if nothing else! Betting it isn't the cheapest car to run, but I might be surprised. Revs go right, gas gauge goes left...

If you are looking at it kiwi535 - let us know how you go (it could be the steal of the year). Be interesting to hear what it is really like.

At the end of the day, this is just one muppets opinion (ie: mine) :P - please don't take it as me trying to put prospective buyers off! As Dirty Harry said "opinions are like assholes - everyone's got one"...

Edited by elmarco

It looks nice. I'd love to have a look for you Paul, but I'm not heading down before the auction finishes. I'd get it to DCH or Christchurch BMW for a more knowledgeable opinion.

A well maintained car can overcome mileage.

You would hope so, but sadly I don't think you can guarantee it as some owners skimp on maintenance... Those are exactly the things that need to be looked at in an inspection and you are on the money about the paint and interior. The V8 and 6 speed imply that it should go like a cut cat if nothing else! Betting it isn't the cheapest car to run, but I might be surprised. Revs go right, gas gauge goes left...

If you are looking at it kiwi535 - let us know how you go (it could be the steal of the year). Be interesting to hear what it is really like.

At the end of the day, this is just one muppets opinion (ie: mine) :P - please don't take it as me trying to put prospective buyers off! As Dirty Harry said "opinions are like assholes - everyone's got one"...

I have driven one,and i still find my 535 more....fun but the 540 feels immemsley powerful,and very civilised...

The 540 wont use much more(if any) than the 535 for my drive...if petrol keeps going up it may stay in the garage for a couple of days a week,whilst i use the 400watt treadly

I have driven one,and i still find my 535 more....fun but the 540 feels immemsley powerful,and very civilised...

The 540 wont use much more(if any) than the 535 for my drive...if petrol keeps going up it may stay in the garage for a couple of days a week,whilst i use the 400watt treadly

Mmmmmm - V8 power.... And there isn't anything else that sounds even close to a V8 on full song.

So has anyone looked at / bought this???

I do note the speedo was replaced at 254020 with one that reads 162167

Done a lot more miles than advertised

Report here

http://www.carfax.co.nz/car/?plate=ajd666&search=Check

You might be making an unfair assumption re mileage.If 0n May 7 07 odo was 254k's the cars average daily mileage shot up from between 40 & 60k's over the last couple of years to 587(over 12mths) !!-Possible but not very likely.

Further,if you ignore the 254 read & take readings @ Nov 06 to Dec 07(which is before & after the 254 read) the daily average is 47.5 .

Certainly something you'd ask about if buying but much more likely to be human error-office girls are quite good at this.

By the way I have no vested interest in this but we need to be a bit careful about casting dispersions however innocently.

Congrats on what looked like an easy win!

good work paul .

looks like a good car .

are you going to sell the e34 now??

good work paul .

looks like a good car .

are you going to sell the e34 now??

not a done deal yet,he wouldnt let RVT drive it,and i have to get it checked out.He has also moved back to Invercargill so wont be able to complete till he has settled in back down there.Unless it is completely different than the pics and or there is something pretty serious repairs needed its all go,and the E34 will go.I have mixed feelings about that.You picked me a bloody good car there mate!

not a done deal yet,he wouldnt let RVT drive it,and i have to get it checked out.He has also moved back to Invercargill so wont be able to complete till he has settled in back down there.Unless it is completely different than the pics and or there is something pretty serious repairs needed its all go,and the E34 will go.I have mixed feelings about that.You picked me a bloody good car there mate!

I have to say I was pretty tempted with this car too, congrats.

I'm down in Invercargill so if you need any help in the checking out let me know.

Tim

I'm jealous-hope it checks out for you!!

I have to say I was pretty tempted with this car too, congrats.

I'm down in Invercargill so if you need any help in the checking out let me know.

Tim

Have been told that Southland Motor Group is the place to go.Comments?Any other BMW mechs down there?

Have been told that Southland Motor Group is the place to go.Comments?Any other BMW mechs down there?

Thats who I use, the guys seem quite good. I see the car had SMG plate surrounds, so someone will know some history.

Thats who I use, the guys seem quite good. I see the car had SMG plate surrounds, so someone will know some history.

the first(and current) owners are locals

That looks like an absolute minter, hope all goes well :).

hopefully he is just tied up with his move back to the deep south.I have emailed hin reminding him of my phone number!

Have you had a prepurchase done to check it out or anyone looked it over?

I hope he is not trying to welch on you!