Sign in to follow this  
BMW Sila

BMW 840 csi 1996

I think this has been posted once before, can't find the link though. Yes it is a very nice car :).

"Selling due to lack of use."

Having a car like this and not driving it... :wacko:

Repost. Still looks mint and still for sale.

Farkin stunning! But I'm not sure I could live with the bright red headlining...

Moot point I guess as I don't have a spare $50k.

Edited by elmarco

It's nice, but hard to see him getting that much for it. Anything over $30k would be hard to get.

And anyway, THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS AN 840CSi. There is only one CSi, it has a 5.6L V12 and I have one :D

It's nice, but hard to see him getting that much for it. Anything over $30k would be hard to get.

And anyway, THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS AN 840CSi. There is only one CSi, it has a 5.6L V12 and I have one :D

Think i read the McLaren F1 car (6.1ltr ) has the same block casting as your csi, obviously changed bore/stroke.

That 6.1ltr would have to be the most powerful LARGE CAPACITY N/A engine around, thanks Paul Rosche!!

Is that your one thats been in the BMWorkshop for months ???

and BTW YOU ARE WRONG there is such a thing as an 840Csi

Edited by botanymotorworx

Yeah the big purple one sitting there :)

And no there isn't an 840CSi. There is an 840i with the 4.0L, the 840Ci with the 4.4L. Where the confusion lies is that in the last few years of production you could buy 840Ci's with the full 850CSi body kit on them

You might be wrong on that one Brad.

That is an NZ new CSi (at least registered as one). Outside of the motor, I don't think there is a difference in spec between your car and Gerry's old one (this car).

It is by a country mile, the best 8 series in New Zealand.

According to the M registry, you only have the option of an 850CSi though. Not being an expert on the E31, what would I know?

Graham Robsons book on the 7 Series also covers the 8's - there is no mentiontion of an 840CSi although he does mention and 830i and 840Ci with steptronic.

Also Real OEM does not list 840CSi as a model option when doing an E31 series search so odds are stacked against 840 CSi beinga legit BMW model.

Who cares? I still want it !!!!!!!!

Is that Gerry's old car?

I'm afraid I'm with Brad - I am pretty sure that there is no official 840CSi.

In my "The Complete Book of BMW" - not just a witty name, this is a damned good and comprehensive book, it makes no mention of an 840CSi.

Gus - yes this is Gerry's old car.

Cheers

Grant

also check out e31.net and check the specs there, no such thing.

Mine is still better, even if it isn't on the road and won't be for a long time!

V12 > V8 :)

even if it isn't on the road and won't be for a long time!

Whats this about it not being on the road for ages ?

Mine is still better, even if it isn't on the road and won't be for a long time!

V12 > V8 :)

The V8's not full of rust though

uh oh....are these posts related?

I stand corrected over this. a few 840Ci's with CSI body kits were sold in NZ and registered as 840CSI's and I assumed (very bad word) that it was a legit model code. I service 2 here both registered as CSI's. Alot of confusion all over the interenet....just google "840CSI" and look at the list

Having worked on the LTSA datawarehouses I can tell you that you can register your car as pretty much anything you like !

You'd be amazed at what some people have on their registration stickers.

Having worked on the LTSA datawarehouses I can tell you that you can register your car as pretty much anything you like !

You'd be amazed at what some people have on their registration stickers.

535is for example,as reg by the dealer

haha, dont always assume the dealers know what it is !

Yes, I know someone that owned a MB C180, which was imported from Japan with an AMG body kit and C43 AMG badges. The muppets in compliance registered it as a 1995 Mercedes-Benz C43 AMG... I've also seen a 318i registered as a BMW 3 Series M.

Yeah the 850CSi won't be on the road for a long time due to rust. At least $10k of parts is needed. I knew it was in average condition though, I bought it because it was the first RHD 850CSi with dual air bags I had seen in two years of searching. A few months after I bought mine 2 more turned up for sale on the web, but if I had waited I probably wouldn't have been able to get them into the country before December 31st when the emissions rules changed.

Ahh well, it is a long term project, I can still say I was 23 and owned a 380hp 5.6L V12 6 speed manual super car that retailed for 78000 pounds back in 1994, equal to about NZ$330k now with inflation :)

Yeah the 850CSi won't be on the road for a long time due to rust. At least $10k of parts is needed. I knew it was in average condition though, I bought it because it was the first RHD 850CSi with dual air bags I had seen in two years of searching. A few months after I bought mine 2 more turned up for sale on the web, but if I had waited I probably wouldn't have been able to get them into the country before December 31st when the emissions rules changed.

Ahh well, it is a long term project, I can still say I was 23 and owned a 380hp 5.6L V12 6 speed manual super car that retailed for 78000 pounds back in 1994, equal to about NZ$330k now with inflation :)

Haha, good on you. How long till your reckon she'll be up and running again?

Maybe a year? I think the cheapest bet will be to wait for a $10-15k 850i to turn up on trademe and buy that then nick all the parts I need to replace from the car, then resell it to a bmw spare parts place. It will be cheaper than buying new parts.