Sign in to follow this  
PBOY23

short shifters

was thinking of buying a short shifter for the 36 now i have herd of the z3 option ? or what about somthing like this http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-159654101.htm or is it not really werth it? would be good to know before, also looking for a e36 coupe door rubber surround price please? mine has torn passenger side lets water in when i wash it and fan surround in engine bay mine had snaped at the mounts and the fan kept eating it to suit a 1992 320i

prices please!

cheers

Short shifters are neat to have, mines an AC one, works really well,

$100 for the TM one is around the norm price for a no name version i would think.

yeh have noticed also driven performance has them for 90 bucks on there very tempted does it make driving more enjoyable ? any downsides?

Had a trade me one on my last car and was very pleased with it, Definatly made a difference

yeh have noticed also driven performance has them for 90 bucks on there very tempted does it make driving more enjoyable ? any downsides?

if your synchros are not that flash it wont like the quick shifting for to long, my 2nd to 3rd gear needs some babying

yeh my changing down from 3rd to 2nd isnt very good but works fine , another question relating to that , when should a service on a gear box be done every how many kms?

also take it they are fairly easy to install ? im a wee bit handy on the tools

Edited by Pboy

I just went the Z3 1.9 route, bout $100 from the dealer. Plenty of different options for throw length and lever height if you use a factory lever. There's a picture about with 5 levers all lined up to compare the lengths below the fulcrum. Can't remember where I saw the thing though.

Edit: easy enough on E30 to install, takes 30min or so, not sure on E36 If your syncs are getting a bit tired going too short isn't the best idea as shifting effort is increased.

Edited by Mike

Really good when you're in a hurry, easy to install, doesn't take long at all, as long as you have circlip pliers.

true dont want to damage the box. if syncs are getting tired can they be fixed or is it a replace job? thanks heaps mike

That would be a gearbox out jobby and replaced.

Edited by Greg111

If you don't know when the oil was replaced, you should get it replaced.

yeh will do i wil still get the short shift get a service done on the trans as it doesnt crunch evry time i change down from third to second we will see what happens . thanks heaps