Sign in to follow this  
Matasorapit

Newish Member

Hi guys and gals.

I have been looking at this forum for a while now although I joined only recently.

It was during research on "what type of car to buy next" that I first stumbled upon your community. It was also through reading the threads here and the know-how of many of you that influenced me to purchase my next project car.

A little over a week ago I purchased a 1998 318i sedan E46.

So now the project begins. The car is an import from Singapore and the sun had made a few marks on some areas but that makes the project all so interesting. I have had a few project cars in the past and done quite well with them. Never owned a bimmer before and becasue all the people today are playing with Japanese toys I thought I would take it Euro. I must say that the drive home from Auckland to Palmerston North was the most comfortable ride I have ever made in that direction.

Next week I have a new sterio headunit going in (thanks to some of the guys here).

After that its mags (again, thanks to a member from here and their Palmy branch).

The car needs a respray and some of the windows seem to have some kind of wax or etching on them. Got to figure out how to fix them but will do in time. Any ideas would help. I dont think I want to lower it as it is beautiful to drive as is. Although with 18" mages and the right kit, it will look great and still feel beautiful. Regarding kits, I have searched a few (any of you imported bimmer kits before? and if so, advice is appreciated).

About me... Im 35 years old, work as an interior designer have a wonderful woman and two beautiful daughters.

EDIT- UPGRADE

Posted Image

Posted Image

Images aint the best. Its night time and I ran out and took a few photos.

There are some things that some of the guys here may be able to help me with.

Mags have been put off for a little while. Reason being, I want to get the right ones once the rest of the car is done. Last time I got mags I spent about $2500 so dont want to waste that type of money on the wrong ones.

There are some good fronts I can get for it. One chap on trade me does a good deal and I have searched for a few other places. BMW said it would cost about $2000 to get a 2001 e46 sport front and thats like twice the price of kit fronts. Anyone know who or where to contact, let me know. I am keen on doing a total kit (full body) but need to find a Kiwi or Oz dealer doing them.

I also need a re-spray or new paint job. Re-spray I can get for about $1200 and a full color change is about $3000 to $3500 from the local auto painters. If I get a color change I am currently looking at the new Gunmetal by ford. It has blues and greens under light. Looks nice. Candy colors too but still deciding on color. Any imput or examples are totally welcome.

I have had the engine done over the past few weeks. Everything is sweet and a few things done. May look at some tuning later in the year. What can be done with a 318i? Its a few months off but again. Any insight is greatly appreciated.

I may post questions regarding this in the forums but contact me if you all can help.

Cheers

Damian

Edited by Matasorapit

Hello Matasorapit!

Welcome to your new home :)

and its great to see another person got in love with a BMW!! Also few members including me would love to see some of your photos! ;)

:rolleyes:

Welcome. Sounds like you have a lot planned for this car. I hope you bought it cheaply!

As for wheels, good on you for holding off for the right ones. I'd say keep it BMW, there are lots of tasteful MSport designs out there. Some bargains can be had buying off boy racers who are upgrading to ghastly chromies or the like.

Is the paint really that bad? I wouldn't expect an E46 requiring a full respray. Another HOT gunmetal, is the new Mercedes Benz shade. It looks stunning on the C63 AMG's. From memory it is called palladium silver.

Yeah, I got it for a reasonable price. Does need a re-spray. It looks as if someone has sprayed a little acid on the car. It has not been etched but does leave what looks like droplets from rain (rain stains) and even on some of the windows. I still have not figured out what it is yet but figured with all my oher cars I have re-sprayed or painted the car anyway. However I do like the color and original style of BMW.

In regards to the electrical stuff. Yep, I totally agree. I had a 98 Caldina GTT that I got from Darwin in Oz and although the engine was in good nik, most of the electrical parts were shot. Still, it was just replacing somthing. Everytime you buy a car you need to get things done to it.

Thanks for the replys.

Welcome and i know you will enjoy the site...it is brilliant cheers

Welcome,

paint job won't be cheap but if you anything like me you will end up spending more money on your car than it is worth. What price do you put on bimmer-love? I have got very attached to mine.

edit:spelling

Edited by advantex

Welcome along - great introduction to yourself.

It looks like you have a fun project ahead of you.

Cheers

Grant