Sign in to follow this  
jjs

New Trademe policy

Email from Trademe:

A 25c reserve fee will apply to auctions where you choose a reserve price that is higher than the start price, effective 1 July 2008.

We've been trialling this reserve fee in our DVDs & movies and Electronics & photography categories, and found that it offers a better buying experience by encouraging sellers to be transparent about reserve prices. As a result, buyers know that any bid has the chance to be successful.

No fee applies when you keep the reserve price equal to the start price, or when listing a car or other vehicle.

Happy trading,

The Trade Me team

I guess it would be good when searching for stuff to see actually how much the seller is after. Or alternatively, is this just a way of grabbing money off people who aren't aware of the policy?

My vote is for money grabbing. If they were wanting a more transparent bidding process they would just give you the option of showing the reserve.

Or alternatively, is this just a way of grabbing money off people who aren't aware of the policy?

Everyone who has a Trade Me account gets the email, so I don't think thats a problem.

I agree with this though, I don't think I have ever listed an item with a start price lower than reserve. I just get annoyed with auctions with a below reserve start price. You don't know what the person wants, you don't know if its in your price range. I just can't be bothered with them.

BUT some people say they use them to find out what the market is paying, Strat1 definitely took advantage of that.

that is bullshit!

100% money grabbing!

and their explanation doesn't even justify it!

I just get annoyed with auctions with a below reserve start price. You don't know what the person wants, you don't know if its in your price range. I just can't be bothered with them.

+1 <_<

Its nothing more than money grabbing! You'd think they were getting enough as it was???

Everyone who has a Trade Me account gets the email, so I don't think thats a problem.

I agree with this though, I don't think I have ever listed an item with a start price lower than reserve. I just get annoyed with auctions with a below reserve start price. You don't know what the person wants, you don't know if its in your price range. I just can't be bothered with them.

BUT some people say they use them to find out what the market is paying, Strat1 definitely took advantage of that.

When you think about auctions that arent on trade me they almost never start at the reserve nor do potential buyers no the reserve.

E.g, Property auctions, Cattle Auctions etc

The purpose of an auction is people bidding to determine the price, and if that price meets the sellers reserve it sells if not its usally negotiated and sold/not sold after the auction.

The explanation that trade me provided to justify the fee makes no sense.

When you think about auctions that arent on trade me they almost never start at the reserve nor do potential buyers no the reserve.

The purpose of an auction is people bidding to determine the price, and if that price meets the sellers reserve it sells if not its usally negotiated and sold/not sold after the auction.

That's what I thought too - the whole idea of an auction is to bid without knowing the reserve... Sure it is helpful to know if it is in your price range - but when a car is listed they ask what you expect to get to refine the search facility.

Sounds like a revenue gathering exercise to me. Or just trying to rein in some dodgy traders with everyone else paying the price.

The type of auctions you say aren't what you'd call general items.

In auction houses what you say is correct, but with auctions on trade me with people sitting in there living rooms bidding on items around the country, and with many items on the web site, people can't be bothered sitting around wondering what the reserve might be. But if someone really wants it they might make the effort. People want to know they actually have a chance to purchase the item. As trade me have said.

Since TM got sold to fairfax prices and fees have gone up sooo much. Double for a car now and change you for every little thing(pictures etc and now reserve!!!). Total money grabbing.

Don't most things start at a dollar on ebay?

The type of auctions you say aren't what you'd call general items.

In auction houses what you say is correct, but with auctions on trade me with people sitting in there living rooms bidding on items around the country, and with many items on the web site, people can't be bothered sitting around wondering what the reserve might be. But if someone really wants it they might make the effort. People want to know they actually have a chance to purchase the item. As trade me have said.

Yup thats a fair call, But why the fee?

People won't mind paying 25c if they want to have the start lower than reserve. It will be interesting to see if it makes a difference. And if not will they just put the fee up to stop people doing it?

Yup thats a fair call, But why the fee?

People won't mind paying 25c if they want to have the start lower than reserve. It will be interesting to see if it makes a difference. And if not will they just put the fee up to stop people doing it?

I agree, people who want the lower start price are still most likely gonna pay the fee. Trade me do not fully justify putting that fee on and 'encouraging sellers' is not good enough.

My comment earlier

I believe was taken the wrong way, what I meant was that Trade me weren't screwing people by putting the charges up without telling anyone.

Yep - Total money grabbing on their part - look at the potential extra revenue they look to secure. Bet they are taking a punt on the vast majority of people currently in this category keeping on with their same approach when listing items.

grabbing money

money grabbing

100% money grabbing!

money grabbing!

Total money grabbing.

Total money grabbing on their part

I guess the general consensus is that TM is money grabbing

I guess so <_<

What do you do for a living - Statistics?

Year 13 Stats count?

Boooooooring im in stats now got bs disguised behind excel :P