Sign in to follow this  
advantex

Quality sounds

What I do is just copy it as lossless and play it off my ipod.

And yes, you'll need 6.5 inch drivers. Unless you're wanting to go 3 way, which is a lot more custom and complicated than what you're currently thinking.

What I do is just copy it as lossless and play it off my ipod.

And yes, you'll need 6.5 inch drivers. Unless you're wanting to go 3 way, which is a lot more custom and complicated than what you're currently thinking.

Might just end up doing that yet - though far perfer to have flash or CF cards with playlists and songs I like.

Found some Tui’s in the fridge so this is just a load of waffle really…

I don’t want to go down the digital track. It is bad enough having CD’s and electronic media – but it is very practical. Technology is getting better, however the brain is better still and even though I am getting old and got hairy ears (LOL) there is an ‘overall’ difference between analogue and digital that one can’t necessarily put a definite finger on but it just doesn’t sound as good (and its not just a mind set thing, it is very real).

That may change over time, but even today there is a big difference between a digital .wav file and the same .mp3/.wma or whatever and it’s not in the initial listening either, it comes from subtle things like overall presence of sound, long term comfort with what you’re listening to, missing bits that your brain remembers but are not there and that which your brain predicts will be next but doesn’t happen, unexpected distortion or aptitude drop etc. Same-same can be applied in similar sense to class A/ AB or D amps.

Why do we need MP3 etc anyway? It was great back in the days when the biggest flash memory you could get was 64meg, but with the 16+gig CF cards of today? Today’s reason is surely copyright and royalty based or Apple/ Microsoft driven. You can get a cut down version of a song for nothing or little, but you need to pay the price for quality (the original CD sound). Big Boy commerce is locking us into a trend, which albeit is viable, is not necessarily good and just like fashion, it will eventually change once more. Just like vynal is on the way back! - or so I hear anyway.

The more I think about sound, the more I feel it is a matter of comfort (i.e. harmony, melody, correct emphasis and other suchlike ‘mushy’ terms). It’s not what you listen to, its how your brain reacts on an emotional and comfort level to the composition. This is why I want .wav – at least I get what was originally recorded (good or bad).

I like 3doors Down but I dislike some of their compositions because they just don’t sound good. I like Brook Fraser but I dislike some of her songs because they do nothing for me. Two scenarios – one doesn’t fit the ‘comfort’ criteria, the other doesn’t fit the ‘emotional’ criteria. Yet, others may like the ones I dislike.

Same seems to go for in car sounds I have listened to so far. I (personally) find either find over-emphasis (uncomfortable) or blandness (unemotional – as in no impact). As Rogan rightly pointed out, the missing bits in many audio systems seem to be the bits your brain expects to hear when you are listening and feels short changed when it’s not there.

This is the very important low to mid frequency range that we humans use most – i.e the vocal range, the guitar strum, the sax, the whatever you like to listen to that “fills†the emotional response because of its delicately balanced volume in conjunction with the rest of the composition and instruments used and creates the impact you like according to your taste.

You can have your body moving bass, you ear piercing treble, but none of this matters if you don’t have the “overall sound†“the presence†that moves the heart which is in harmony with these other impactive and characterizing sounds, deep bass and spine chilling treble that are a part of the entire composition.

If you’re favorite song brings tears to you eyes when you play it really loud, you got a good system. If it doesn’t either it’s not your favorite song, or your system does not do your song justice. Would that be fair comment?

Edit: aptitude->amptitude

Edited by advantex

And that's the exact reason you shouldn't have that kicker sub :P

.wav files aren't commonly used, I'd go the lossless track if I were you. Even on my old temporary system I could easily tell the difference.

Have a listen to some high end gear (the bostons and the polks I'd say) and see what suits you.

Also, the way people tune their systems is to their ears. Not yours. Well, unless they can't tune (which most can't). On your budget I'd go for a nice active 2 way setup with a nice SQ sub all which sound the best to your ears. Then spend countless hours installing it and tuning it to perfection.

Do it yourself, and do it right. Get some fibreglass going and after a few months tell us how good it's sounding :D

"Don't believe the hype - there's no such a thing as an 'SQ' amplifier. Just buy a reputable one with the most grunt you can afford and you'll avoid clipping and - hey presto - that equates to 'SQ'." - Damon Dupriez

And he knows what he's talking about :P

Ready to spend more on your HU and speakers, then?