Sign in to follow this  
chompa

e21 323i

thanks to simon and crockett i have confirmed my expectations wernt totally unrealistic. as expected/always i will make an offer below the asking price, i price i think its worth considering the value of similar e21 around. however im not in a hurry to buy one at a exuberant price.. i will keep collecting pennies for other aspects of my life/project...

cheers guys!

I'd look pretty carefully at that car (as in check for problems carefully). "Runs good" doesn't inspire me with confidence.

323i is a hard one - they are the most desirable e21, but they're still an e21. They have their own character but the e30 is a better car.

thanks to simon and crockett i have confirmed my expectations wernt totally unrealistic. as expected/always i will make an offer below the asking price, i price i think its worth considering the value of similar e21 around. however im not in a hurry to buy one at a exuberant price.. i will keep collecting pennies for other aspects of my life/project...

cheers guys!

Ka pai.

Patience is a virtue.

"It is listed at a price that someone will pay if they want it."- this comment is so ludicrous it doesnt warrent an answer.

Meaning if someone wants it they will buy it, $7,000 is not a lot of money to someone who really wants one when there are no others for sale, it’s called a Niche marketing.

Im sorry I went against the grain but these "spotted on Trade-Me" "tell him he dreaming" discussion threads cheese me off and are getting tired.

Also apologise for grammar and spelling mistakes :P

Edited by Apex

Guest Simon*

Im sorry I went against the grain but these "spotted on Trade-Me" "tell him he dreaming" discussion threads cheese me off and are getting tired.

That's a fair call - but this thread seemed to be pretty genuine to me

I'll let you off for the abuse of english this time ;)

thanks for your opinion...although for a person with "no interest" in buying the "F^%$#" thing i find it strange you clicked on the topic titled "E21 323i"

for future post on this "topic" from "nice honest BS members"---- PLEASE can i have CONTRUCTIVE feedback from people INTERESTED in the car in question...

thanks

i have no interest in buying one,and you will note i havent made a comment about what I think its actually worth. Edited by kiwi535

Guest Simon*

i have no interest in buying one,and you will note i havent made a comment about what I think its actually worth.

If you feel very much on a power trip Simon you can delete my account here

With respect Paul that's bullshit. You've been around here a lot longer than I - I'll leave if it comes to that.

I'm not powertripping at all, but from this whole exercise I've decided that if I wanted some advice when buying a car, I'd probably be pretty circumspect about sticking it up for all and sundry to snipe at.

For a young guy to ask for an opinion on E21's, when he is plainly VERY interested in buying one, perhaps not this one but certainly something along these lines - all he gets is sh*t by way of reply. It's merely wasting his time.

I'm sure there are people on here who know their E21's, who even own them - perhaps they'll chime in later with some pointers for him.

I think I'll take a break from the place for a while now, so help yourself Paul.

Good luck with the 540i/6 by the way, I'm sure it will be a fantastic car.

Cheers all

Simon

People are so dramatic sometimes :lol:

Chopa, I would go and have a look at the car at least, looks original and could be a real gem, sometimes cars that look shiny and mint are dogs underneath as people have only focused on aesthetics when restoring.

With respect Paul that's bullshit. You've been around here a lot longer than I - I'll leave if it comes to that.

I'm not powertripping at all, but from this whole exercise I've decided that if I wanted some advice when buying a car, I'd probably be pretty circumspect about sticking it up for all and sundry to snipe at.

For a young guy to ask for an opinion on E21's, when he is plainly VERY interested in buying one, perhaps not this one but certainly something along these lines - all he gets is sh*t by way of reply. It's merely wasting his time.

I'm sure there are people on here who know their E21's, who even own them - perhaps they'll chime in later with some pointers for him.

I think I'll take a break from the place for a while now, so help yourself Paul.

Good luck with the 540i/6 by the way, I'm sure it will be a fantastic car.

Cheers all

Simon

you have got me wrong mate.I am not suggesting you are power tripping on this particular thread.I was referring to your earlier comments about english spelling etc.I do feel strongly about my point of view on these trademe discussions(not just this one). Edited by kiwi535

can i just add,

i am and have always been happy to pay a higher price for a rare car. an example was my e30 m3 i owned last year, and if i thought the 323i was worth $7500 i would happily pay that too..

i find the level of hassle on this post puzzling when the vast majority of posts under "trademe discussions" relate to price, its perfectly acceptable to spot a bargain but not a potentialy bad buy? MY opinion as i stated was that the car was overpriced but i have never been of the mind "my opinion is always right" infact often my opinion has been proved not totally correct. which i take on the chin..i have owned a 323i e21 not long ago of which i payed 1 grand for. laurence, "old_school_bmw" can vouch for that as it was him i got it off. having owned a e21 and in the market for a while you could say my opinion may be worth more than many, but i dont see it that way that is why i asked for help..

points noted guys! though it will be interesting to see weither other similar post get these sorts of negative comments.

"everyone can be tough behind a computer-the trick is not to make yourself look like a fool"

overdone much? my head hurts after reading through this crap. Might be a better idea to do your homework on prices etc and avoid the opinions of others

3 pages of posts & with the exception of a couple sweet FA that is constructive.Whats going on here guys-I thought the idea was to offer help to other members.Seems to me like like quite a few of these trademe threads degenerate into this kind of peurile crap!!

Thought for the day : If you havent got something sensible to contribute-keep the f**k out of it.

I think it will be hard to gauge what you should pay for an e21 323i by discussing it in a thread such as this. I've found that when trying to figure out what something like this is worth, you need to take into account the following things

1. How much is it worth to you? Never pay more than that.

2. Only listen to the opinions of people who know what they are talking about. It will be difficult in this situation as I don't think there are too many people who "trade" in e21 BMW's. I think this car is worth $3k tops, but then again I am not qualified to give an opinion.

3. Disregard the opinion of someone who currently owns one, as the figure they give will likely be overinflated as they compare it to what they think theres is worth. Examples of this are when people ask on this site what an E30 / E36 is worth...

4. Don't be afraid to make an offer, no matter how low. Some people selling cars like this which seldom pop up, often need a dose of reality. A couple of people throwing realistic offers at them will hopefully help them come to their senses.

Good luck!

+1

f**ken rip

o yea and power trippn si

:P

A part of me thinks this thread is going to be closed soon, and poor old chompa won't get the help/advice he is after.

My mate owns a 318i e21, he picked it up for $500 about 2-3months ago now. Goes to show there are some out there. As hybrid said, if you're chucking a diff motor in it, just make sure everything else is pretty mint.

my 2c :)

3 pages of posts & with the exception of a couple sweet FA that is constructive.Whats going on here guys-I thought the idea was to offer help to other members.Seems to me like like quite a few of these trademe threads degenerate into this kind of peurile crap!!

Thought for the day : If you havent got something sensible to contribute-keep the f**k out of it.

agreed ,i apologise to every one....still think the discussion is pointless though in the end its chompa and the seller who will decide what its worth

...still think the discussion is pointless though in the end its chompa and the seller who will decide what its worth

+1

Found another HERE for sale along with an assortment of other fine examples of M3s M6s and 2002s etc,ect.

Some nice cars and some interesting price examples.

Found another HERE for sale along with an assortment of other fine examples of M3s M6s and 2002s etc,ect.

Some very nice cars there, some of them very well priced in my opinion

a road legal black e30 m3 for 25k...must be a reason it hasnt sold?

anyway thanks guys. understand now its a bit of a touchy subject, all i wanted to know was if i needed to adjust my expectations..like everyone id rather buy a bargain!

It's LHD, will be ex-Japan, and may be a bit tired. If there's a hint of needing an engine rebuild the price should reflect it (very expensive to rebuild).

I know of several that have sold for under $20k in average condition. Having said that, if that one is in reasonable shape it would be a good car for the money, IMO.

It's LHD, will be ex-Japan, and may be a bit tired. If there's a hint of needing an engine rebuild the price should reflect it (very expensive to rebuild).

I know of several that have sold for under $20k in average condition. Having said that, if that one is in reasonable shape it would be a good car for the money, IMO.

key thing is tho its road legal-no red tape or law changes needed! rebuilt isnt that expensive unless you high spec (15K)

TWR has sold a few under 20K but they havent been in the best of condition or road legal..

Yeah, I'm assuming its similar/slightly better condition than TWR ones - I saw one which was under $15k (from memory) but it was a bit rough. Having said that, apparently it still ran very well.

I'd really like it, if (a) it could be guaranteed semi-reliable (I'm realistic) and (B) it wouldn't be such a hassle trying to get into a parking building, LOL.

Woah, that price is way too much for that e21. You should pay around 1-2k for a decent one. That's the market price for them...

The offer is still there for me to check out an e21 for you if it's near me. Rust is something you want to avoid!

interested on what you guys think of this price?? im after one but think this is crazy..

would rather have the 2.7 e30 togates selling for this coin..

love the e21's and know cars only worth what someones willing to pay but still think this is a bit off market value?

opinions on a more realistic price would be awesome!.

liam

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-163304080.htm

EDIT: LINK

E21 323i is a grt car and rare (i owned a 82 Baur cab), but for 7.5 K I'd expect her to be pretty special... that is what I paid for a mint 89 NZ new 1 lady owner 89 5spd man convertible with less kms.

If she's very good, I offer $3.5 and seewhat happens... otherwise 2 k plus The twin exhausts look pretty aenimic (spelling?) two nice chrome ends on her and she'll sound awesome !! Best experienced at between 4 and 6000rpm in a tunnel.. Enjoy!