Sign in to follow this  
ZROSSA

e24 turbo--- parts list

Howdy All,

I have had my 79 635 for a week now and think it needs a bit more power. Standard it about as quick as my v6 holden ute. So after a bit of research I think I will go with an air to air intercooled turbo with megasquirt for fuel and ignition control. I dont want massive power. Looking at 300 at the wheels. I will keep this as low budget as I can (have two other car toys that need fibishing), will use flipped manifolds and keep the bottom end standard. I could use a bit of advise on what size turbo to use. Something thats commonly avalable would be a bonus. I have also been trying to figure out what parts are needed to convert the L-jetronic to computer control. The megasquirt guys seem to like to use gm sensors. Can I use the existing BMW ones? Might as well use the version 3 edition as it seems to be able to self tune. This would be highly benificial as I have never played with electronics before! I can do all the metal fabrication. So, what parts do I need, Turbo, intercooler and plumbing are a bit obvious. What about the fuel control? New fuel pump, Water temp senser, Air temp sensor, Wide band oxygen sensor?

Should I cange the air flow meter to a maf one? So what Am i missing?

I am also going to have to do something about the valve gear on the old m30. Making a hell of a racket and using some oil. Thoght I might get the cam reground while I have it apart. Some of the posts I have read suggest that you can use up a 284 duration cam with a turbo. Any ideas on this? Any one have a spare head?

Thanks again, Cheers, Douglas

Edited by ZROSSA

Howdy All,

I have had my 79 635 for a week now and think it needs a bit more power. Standard it about as quick as my v6 holden ute. So after a bit of research I think I will go with an air to air intercooled turbo with megasquirt for fuel and ignition control. I dont want massive power. Looking at 300 at the wheels. I will keep this as low budget as I can (have two other car toys that need fibishing), will use flipped manifolds and keep the bottom end standard. I could use a bit of advise on what size turbp to use. Something thats commonly avalable would be a bonus. I have also been trying to figure out what parts are needed to convert the L-jetronic to computer control. The megasquirt guys seem to like to use gm sensors. Can I use the existing BMW ones? Might as well use the version 3 edition as it seem to be able to self tune. This would be highly benificial as I have never played with electronics before! I can do all the metal fabrication. So, what parts do I need, Turbo, intercooler and plunbing are a bit obvious. What about the fuel control? New fuel pump, Water temp senser, Air temp sensor, Wide band oxygen sensor?

Should I cange the air flow meter to a maf one? So what Am i missing?

I am also going to have to do something about the valve gear on the old m30. Making a hell of a racket and using some oil. Thoght I might get the cam reground while I have it apart. Some of the posts I have read suggest that you can use up a 284 duration cam with a turbo. Any ideas on this? Any one have a spare head?

Thanks again, Cheers, Douglas

Hey Douglas

you based in Auckland?

I have an early 6 head on the bench.

and am currently taking the induction route for the e34.

sounds like you need alot of Q's answered.

cheers marty 021 438 735

Hey Douglas

you based in Auckland?

I have an early 6 head on the bench.

and am currently taking the induction route for the e34.

sounds like you need alot of Q's answered.

cheers marty 021 438 735

Thanks Marty, I hoped you would reply. Probably would have bought that engine off you if I had known about it earlyer. Yes, Lots of questions and belive it of not I have been searching ---- a lot! I am not in a hurry, like I said I need to finish another project 1st, but I would like to start collecting parts and info. I will work up a more specific list and give you a buzz.

Cheers, Douglas

have a look at mine, gimme a PM if you've got any questions

http://www.bimmersport.co.nz/forums/index.php?showtopic=8958

I used GM for IAT, but kept the stock BMW one for coolant. No air flow sensor is needed as Megasquirt used manifold pressure. I'm using a LC-1 wideband, makes the majority of fuel tuning very simple.

Bigger injectors will also be needed. As for a turbo take a look at a Holset HX35 or even HX40, quite a few on ebay.

Edited by Mike

keep an eye here....http://www.bmwe34.net/Wiki/tiki-index.php its a new site but the old one was a great resource for E34's.The site owner is building an e24 turbo race car and i am sure he will have some good but practical and where possible economical alternatives.

Thank guys!

I didnt think it would be possable to run the turbo with the L-jetronic. Stupid of me really. This is not a daily driver so that might be an alternative for a short time.A least I could get all the plumbing and so forth sorted before I attempt computer stuff. The wireing for the megasquirt didnt look to difficult Mike. Just need a few mor rainy days to make room in the shed.

Douglas