Sign in to follow this  
dcm17

What I love about my BMW

The ultimate driving machine. Nothing drives like a BMW.

I also love the over engineering and build quality on the 80’s cars, they are tanks.

I luv BMW's :wub:

>

>

>

>

>

>

BECAUSE THEY BREAK :o

I swear thats why men love cars in general, most guys just love pulling things to bits and seeing how things tick.

I swear thats why men love cars in general, most guys just love pulling things to bits and seeing how things tick.

Not really... it's my living $$$$

Im going to buck the trend here and say that Im strangely not in love with my 'current' BMW.

I bought the touring as a family car for my wife to take the kids about, but for various reasons she doesnt like it and back problems means its uncomfortable for her, so Ive ended up with it.

Dont get me wrong its a superb car, it drives beautifully, it handles well, its actually pretty quick for what it is, comfort levels for normal sized people are excellent, it has all the toys, etc but there is nothing about it that I love. This is my 7th BMW and its the only one Ive felt this way about. If I could sell it I gladly would and not have even a moments angst about having done so.

I never thought I would say this, but it really is just a car to me :(

Im going to buck the trend here and say that Im strangely not in love with my 'current' BMW.

I bought the touring as a family car for my wife to take the kids about, but for various reasons she doesnt like it and back problems means its uncomfortable for her, so Ive ended up with it.

Dont get me wrong its a superb car, it drives beautifully, it handles well, its actually pretty quick for what it is, comfort levels for normal sized people are excellent, it has all the toys, etc but there is nothing about it that I love. This is my 7th BMW and its the only one Ive felt this way about. If I could sell it I gladly would and not have even a moments angst about having done so.

Too new thats why :) . Old ones have more character so you love em more

Character is one thing E30’s have lots of… wouldn’t have one over my E60 though, no matter how charismatic

The E39 was a miss for me also, what seats do you have Penry? The pews in my old one were fantastic.

Our 323i is very much the same, just a car.

It is well maintained, and it pretty good condition, but at the end of the day just a form of transport for my wife to cart the kids around in.

Cheers

Grant

Interesting...

Martyn, is it the E39 in general that does nothing for you? Maybe E34 would be better?

Graham, does the E60 have character? Never driven one.

Grant, what makes your 328 different to the 323? Other than the obvious extra HP. The suspension? Manual?

Just trying to figure out which BMW is most widely regarded as the best driver's car... I'm guessing E30.

i saw a e30 m3 this morning around the airport where i work mint as hell felt this sensation somewhere after seeing it jokes haha

but the m3 was a minter

The E34 lines + total package are a winner. When you look at some of the individual panel shapes they don't look perfect, however when integrated into the whole car, looks great.

Engineering + Build + Specs = Winner.

Interesting...

Martyn, is it the E39 in general that does nothing for you? Maybe E34 would be better?

Grant, what makes your 328 different to the 323? Other than the obvious extra HP. The suspension? Manual?

Just trying to figure out which BMW is most widely regarded as the best driver's car... I'm guessing E30.

e 34 have heaps of character...

I think its a combination of things that dont do it for me. Ive been driving since I was 12 and I always buy a car that I WANT to drive, something to have some fun in, but the touring was to be a family car that I only got to drive on the weekends.

I dont think its an e39 thing as such, but the combination of a bigger engine, sports suspension and comfort seats made my e38 a much more enjoyable car to drive. The e32 750iL I used to have was aswell. The touring only has the basic seats and they arent that comfortable when your 6'5

I dont even feel inspired to upgrade the lights, get a body kit and sort out the nav etc. It really is just car to get from A to B and thats a first for me.

Even though my I need a crowbar to get in and out of the e30 I still asked myself 'what am I doing selling this?' each time I drove it. I sat in an 'is' without a sunroof the other day and there was plenty of room, so perhaps I just need to find an e30 with no sunroof !

Ive been looking at e28's and e23's alot recently, both appeal to me in terms of body shape and are obviously bigger than an e30.

I think I just need a bigger engine !

Interesting...

Not really. It would be that guy at school you hated because he was really good at everything.

It certainly doesn’t have anywhere near the character of the E30.

Character can’t make up for practicality and convenience though, it’s like an old house, whilst it may have personality it just can’t compare to a modern house in function, practicality and comfort.

Driver’s car would most certainly go to the E30 M3.

I think its a combination of things that dont do it for me. Ive been driving since I was 12 and I always buy a car that I WANT to drive, something to have some fun in, but the touring was to be a family car that I only got to drive on the weekends.

I dont think its an e39 thing as such, but the combination of a bigger engine, sports suspension and comfort seats made my e38 a much more enjoyable car to drive. The e32 750iL I used to have was aswell. The touring only has the basic seats and they arent that comfortable when your 6'5

I dont even feel inspired to upgrade the lights, get a body kit and sort out the nav etc. It really is just car to get from A to B and thats a first for me.

Even though my I need a crowbar to get in and out of the e30 I still asked myself 'what am I doing selling this?' each time I drove it. I sat in an 'is' without a sunroof the other day and there was plenty of room, so perhaps I just need to find an e30 with no sunroof !

Ive been looking at e28's and e23's alot recently, both appeal to me in terms of body shape and are obviously bigger than an e30.

I think I just need a bigger engine !

the guy that is keen on my 535 has an e23 735 manual that looks quite tidy

the guy that is keen on my 535 has an e23 735 manual that looks quite tidy

I know, he has a 750 too.

I drove the e23 last weekend and it goes like stink, but its got rust in all the doors, left front guard, in the roof and the rear pillar too :(

Apart from the difference in spec (the 328i is a NZ new SE, the 323i is a very basic japanese spec car), and the HP/Torque difference, and transmission (as you mentioned), not a heck of a lot.

I guess, I have put work into the 328 (i.e the suspension etc), whereas the 323i was bought purely as a means of transport and nothing more.

Don't get me wrong, the 323i is a great car, it drives well and is a good really combination of power and economy, but at the end of the day it really is just used by my wife to get around in.

Cheers

Grant

Like the way it looks, drives and feels, and the way it looks parked up in uni. I'm not particularly in love with it though, infact I'm just waiting to get a newer 735, I like the more modern cars, as graham illustrated with the houses, you can't beat the luxury of modern ones :)

I like the more modern cars, as graham illustrated with the houses, you can't beat the luxury of modern ones :)

One shouldn't loose the common touch.

One shouldn't loose the common touch.

Elaborate??

I :wub: my 318Ti because its different

The power M52B28

Because its all done properly, brakes, suspension etc.. etc

Its great to drive & handles like a dream

And its friggen quick :rolleyes:

AND ITS GOT A CERT

Just being a smart ass Graham, you know the old saying when people move up in the world, don't forget the common touch!

I'm too old as is the saying so probably a bit before your time.

For me it's the E30, My friend bought a M325i, my cousin in SouthAfrica has an M325iS.

The looks are ageless, the build quality is high, and it's just got a presence about it.

I like the quality, looks and performance of most classic BMW's, and the things you can do to them, like V8 transplants, or dropping an M5 6cyl into an E30.

There's alot of talk of luxury, but BMW's are trumped by Merc's in this area, mainly because they truly are about the experience, not just luxury. (I know it's a bit cheesy)

I :wub: my 318Ti because its different

The power M52B28

Because its all done properly, brakes, suspension etc.. etc

Its great to drive & handles like a dream

And its friggen quick :rolleyes:

AND ITS GOT A CERT

Glenn,ever thought of putting in the larger diameter intake manifold/larger throttle body/remap = 220bhp?

Just being a smart ass Graham, you know the old saying when people move up in the world, don't forget the common touch!

I'm too old as is the saying so probably a bit before your time.

Ah, I get ya.. well kind of.

I have a 1.3 Corolla as a daily, the rest of the time I just drive around looking down my nose at people :P