Sign in to follow this  
Guest //brandon\\

LSD

Guest Spargo

They're labelled S, not 5!

Sounds like you've got a 4.45:1 open, but bear in mind that its in there 'cause of your auto.

So if you go 5spd, you'll need a 3.91 / 3.73 type ratio.

yeah its not an lsd....cant think for the life of me why a auto 320 would need one anyway! i can imagine it sucks on a 5 spd? im keen for a 3.91 LSD...would be nice

I realise that it's there for the auto box, hence why i'm getting a different one for the manual, but not until I have a little fun with it first :)

what do 1st 2nd 3rd and 4th gear go to?

what do 1st 2nd 3rd and 4th gear go to?

In what respect???

the respeckt of km per hour dogg

RPM for the 4.45 and auto box in

1st is 4500 RPM @ ~40k

2nd is 4000 RPM @ ~60k

3rd is 4000 RPM @ ~80k

4th is 2950 RPM @ 100k

It's hard to judge the RPM @ Kph for the gears because of the stupid torque converter which only locks out at 85kph in 4th stage and when decelerating, when it locks out the revs drops a good 500-1500 rpm so the only way to work it out the rpm:kph is to speed up then select a gear and decelerate and catch the kph as the rpm drops.

Bear in mind the auto box has very long gears of which I can confirm that I can get to 85kph in 2nd gear.

Edited by ///Carl

Guest Andrew

RPM for the 4.45 and auto box in

1st is 4500 RPM @ ~40k

2nd is 4000 RPM @ ~60k

3rd is 4000 RPM @ ~80k

4th is 2950 RPM @ 100k

It's hard to judge the RPM @ Kph for the gears because of the stupid torque converter which only locks out at 85kph in 4th stage and when decelerating, when it locks out the revs drops a good 500-1500 rpm so the only way to work it out the rpm:kph is to speed up then select a gear and decelerate and catch the kph as the rpm drops.

Bear in mind the auto box has very long gears of which I can confirm that I can get to 85kph in 2nd gear.

most the manual guys will hit 110 kph in 2nd

Haha, that's all well and true, but are they running a 4.45 diff??? Ahh, I didn't think so.

Guest Spargo

With what? a 3.64 diff and 14" rims?

A 3.91:1 equiped Alpina with 16" rims and sports box will reach 109K in 2nd.

Guest Andrew

With what? a 3.64 diff and 14" rims?

A 3.91:1 equiped Alpina with 16" rims and sports box will reach 109K in 2nd.

The 320 does 110 in 2nd.. gus' car almost does. My 325 does 100 ish in 2nd.

imagine the ACTual acceleration if it didnt

Talking about LSD's, since THAT is the topic, would anyone actually be interested in having a 4.45 LSD???

I would!, but then us rally guys are a little weird, I've got a 4.45 open and a 3.94 LSD

for the 2002 (it runs an E30 diff) but what I really want is a 4.45 LSD and I don't believe

the parts from the two diffs are interchangable

Is that 325's that hit 110kph in 2nd or all 6 cyl? My 318 man only gets to 90kph in 2nd. What about other gears then? Top speed? My mates 320 with a 2.5 engine and gearbox but with 320 diff only goes to like 80-90 on 2nd.

Just for you Gus I did a recheck of my gears today, I found a nice big hill to coast down...

50kph in 1st = 3900rpm

in 2nd = 2400 rpm

in 3rd = 1500 rpm

And after ringing it out on the motorway...

1st gear does 80kph @ 6500rpm

2nd gear gets to 100kph @ 6700rpm

is that with the 4.4xx diff? thats pretty good....i take it you not gonna change it then?

Yip, that's with the 4.45 diff and auto box, currently it sits on 2900 rpm @ 100kph in 4th stage so when the manual box goes in i'm expecting that to jump to 3500+.

I'll be keeping the 4.45 for at least a few weeks to have a play around :D

Yip, that's with the 4.45 diff and auto box, currently it sits on 2900 rpm @ 100kph in 4th stage so when the manual box goes in i'm expecting that to jump to 3500+.

I'll be keeping the 4.45 for at least a few weeks to have a play around :D

Trust me, with a 4.45 and a manual box, you will find 1st gear to be a fruitless exercise.

You will also hate any open road driving. Even with a 4.10 mine was terrible with the manual box, I imagine even with your smaller engine a 4.45 will be much the same.

You won't regret going to a manual box though. When will this all happen?

Cheers

When will it happen...like all my projects they're just a pay packet away...

I plan on having the box in by the end of september with the diff going in before I go down south although I may need to source a diff as I know there's two 3.45 diffs available that I can nab but I want something more along the lines of a 3.64 or 3.77

howabout a 3.91 (or is it 3.93...I can't remember), that would be reasonably well suited to a manual 320i I would have thought.

I have a 3.73 (or is it 3.71...again I can't quite remember) in my car, and it is ideal (trust me I tried 3 different diffs before settling on this one...poor old Steve at SD Euro was very patient with me, and my constant diff swapping).

Good luck, keep us in the movies about progress. Am I right in thinking you already have the pedal box in place?

Cheers

Yip, have had the peddle box in for quite some time now :)

I'm wanting to have some tall gears purely for economic/touring reasons hence my preference for the taller diffs, however, like you say having the luxury of testing out the different diffs would be fantastic.

What's your engine Grant, 2.5L???

2.7??? You're cheating, what block are you running???

2.7??? You're cheating, what block are you running???

325e block, 325i head etc.

However I still have the original 320i ECU, and this retards performance somewhat as the ECU will only hold the injectors open to 4,800 rpm's after which the engine leans right off, and HP dies (but am sticking a Link in instead early next year).

I am hoping for around 100 - 110 KW at the wheel on Bellar's Dyno (hopefully this isn't wishful thinking), and at present have 243Nm of Torque (which is quite a bit higher than a standard 325i).

Cheers