Sign in to follow this  
User Name

Turbo Manifolds

Hay Guys

Will any later turbo manifolds fit on my m30 engine sitting in a e28, cause ive had a look round and why are manifolds for newer bmws so cheap compaired to the ones for old cars

or does anyone know someone that would make one cheap for has one laying round.

otherwise might have to try make one myslef but wanted it to look good

Cheers

I can't comment on the later ones fitting (suspect no), but I think you'll find the cheap ones come from Asia and either they are available or not for a given car. You also need to be careful to make sure you aren't buying manifold which doesn't work on a RHD car.

I wish I'd known of someone who could do it cheap. I bought one for my M10 from a guy in the US because:

a) I knew it would fit

B) it came with a beefy flange which was going to cost $$$ to get made here

c) it worked out a wee bit cheaper overall. Not cheap - cheaper.

I was advised its a lot of work, plus a few hundred $$ (200-300 depending on how elaborate it is) in materials.

It would be cheapest if you got a log manifold:

http://www.turbochargingdynamics.com/produ...(Top_Mount).php

This TCD one isn't especially cheap, but it shows what a basic log manifold looks like (you can have one made out of steam pipe rather than the TCD being cast, which I'd personally pay extra for on a log manifold because it will last forever). You could possibly get the TCD one landed here for about $1000. I have no idea if it fits on RHD, but being a top mount is a good start.

As to knowing someone who can do it cheap - where did topcat get his from?

Edited by CamB

Hay Guys

Will any later turbo manifolds fit on my m30 engine sitting in a e28, cause ive had a look round and why are manifolds for newer bmws so cheap compaired to the ones for old cars

Cheers

very simple to anwser you Q.the newer models are more popular to upgrade

and most of the 'cheap'units are pasted togther in china.very prone to cracking.

and no not all mani's will fit the m30.pots are 100mm spaced.smaller 6's are 85mm(?)

have a gander at the link provided by Cam. its very simply made.not the steel colour was black now white.

very hot.probably glowed most of the time

Hay guys

ive being looking at the manifold of the 745i turbo and by the looks of it i reakon you could just flip it over and use the manifold the otherway and seal the ends up, and i reakon you would be able to use it

this link shows it setup on the manifold for LHD

http://bmwturbos.scottiesharpe.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4781

but if you look i reakon if you put the manifold up the otherway and just turned the turbo round you could get it put on there nice

does anyone have one of the manifolds they could have a look and see what it would be like up the otherway

cause for a turbo project if that worked out, im sure you could get some quick cash for doing it

Just a guess, but no-one here has a left-hand drive 745i.

Hay Guys

Cheers

manifolds for turbo bmws available from driven performance really well made ones aswel and not too expensive considering the effort it takes to make your own one to fit in the engine bay. 400$ mark from memory maby less.

They def had manifolds for m20 and m50 so they may do m30 aswel

think its www.drivenperformance.co.nz otherwise google driven performance.

Worked out it would be around 2500$+ plus to turbo an e30 m20 properly with low compression pistons so im going to custom fit a supercharger instead.

Edited by 323e30

If you flip an M10 or M30 manifold they require sersious porting as the ports dont line up anymore. Also, i you turn the turbo around so the exhaust faces the right way then it looks like the turbo will hit the head. IF I were you I'd give up on the 745i one, more trouble than its worth i'd say.

Instead have a look and see if an adapter is possible, like this one:

http://store.666fabrication.com/m20-turbo-adapt.html

or just get one of these: sex

Otherwise look at getting a log style one made up, I reckon a very basic one could be done for around the $200 mark for materials (laser cut flanges and steam pipe). Easy to weld up too, if you can't weld you'll need to find mate who can - theres a few other things that will need to be welded (down pipe, exhaust, brackets etc)

If those driven performance ones are good quality manifolds then $400 is a bloody steal, would like to know how thick the tube and flanges are tho.

Worked out it would be around 2500 plus to turbo an e30 m20 properly with low compression pistons so im going to custom fit a supercharger instead.

The M20B25 runs around 8.8 (need to check this) c/r which is fine for medium boost turbo setup. If your looking at making enough boost to warrant low comp pistons I'd be budgeting much more than $2500. Also, a supercharger generally requires the same supporting mods (ecu, clutch, fuel system, intake piping etc) as a turbo. If I were you I'd be making the choice based on power delivery, as there is not going be much cost difference between low boost setups.

Edited by Mike

manifolds for turbo bmws available from driven performance really well made ones aswel and not too expensive considering the effort it takes to make your own one to fit in the engine bay. 400$ mark from memory maby less.

They def had manifolds for m20 and m50 so they may do m30 aswel

think its www.drivenperformance.co.nz otherwise google driven performance.

Worked out it would be around 2500$+ plus to turbo an e30 m20 properly with low compression pistons so im going to custom fit a supercharger instead.

Are you CERTAIN those M20 ones fit a RHD car, or even fit at all? I am sure I read a thread on e30tech.com where someone had to modify a similar looking ebay manifold to fit a LHD car (it hit the frame rail and engine mount), which means it would be certain to hit the steering etc.

The E36 one is cheap! I wonder if that fits a RHD car?

In either case Kym, they would need to be modified to fit an M30 - might be easier to follow Mike's idea.

Are you CERTAIN those M20 ones fit a RHD car, or even fit at all? I am sure I read a thread on e30tech.com where someone had to modify a similar looking ebay manifold to fit a LHD car (it hit the frame rail and engine mount), which means it would be certain to hit the steering etc.

The E36 one is cheap! I wonder if that fits a RHD car?

In either case Kym, they would need to be modified to fit an M30 - might be easier to follow Mike's idea.

Its an Nzd website so ild expect that they would be made to fit a right hand drive, guess the only way to find out is to email them and ask.

That tubular "sex" one looks good, but in theory the driven performance one will give more power as all the cylinders Are closer to being Balanced (tuned) in comparison.

Edited by 323e30

I have done a little research on the Ebay manifolds (they look in pics just like the driven one). The M20 one apparently gets in the way of the oil cooler lines on a 325i, but appears to be of pretty good quality otherwise. I can't tell if it would hit on a RHD car but I'd be really surprised if it didnt. It takes up heaps of room.

The E36 manifold is for a bottom mount turbo and definitely would definitely hit the steering. It could be modified as a top mount (cut and rewelded with a high flange).

I don't know if either could or couldn't be modified to work on an M30. Given you'd need (at a minimum) the exhaust flange, I think it would cost the same for a simple custom manifold like topcats one.

It also only just occured to me that the E28 has a steering box (??). That could give you even less room.

Yea gives you alot less room with the power streering box, but think ive decided im just going to prob mod my b28 exhaust manifold cause its kinda like a log style one, unless a guy i know can do it for cheaper would still need to weld it and put the flange on but not really that biga issue, and would be prob $60 manifold cause of welding and the flange

what do you guys reakon about doing that??

Welding onto cast steel? sounds like its going to be a recipe for cracks.

Agreed, trying to weld a mild steel flange (assuming thats what your doing) to cast iron just isn't going to work. Go for an adapter like myself or 320guy showed you. Or save up and get a proper manifold. There aren't really any cheap ways about this. basically - do it right or do it again. (don't ask how I know)

I would suggest having a talk to Custom Chambers in East Tamaki, Auckland. He's done some.